So I've been playing bass for just over a month now, and I just have one little question. In music, there are actually 9 clefs: French violin, treble, soprano, mezzo-soprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass and sub-bass. Obviously treble and bass are the most common. Some electronic songs use an oscillator to make a sub-bassline and I was wondering if there was such a thing as a sub-bass guitar. I found a guitar on YouTube called a Music Man S.U.B bass, but it certainly doesn't play in sub-bass clef. If any of you guys know if it exists, or where I can find one, I would really appreciate it :3
Actually there are ten clefs, there are two written clefs that represent Baritone.

On the other question. The SUB Bass doesn't refer to its relative frequency, its the name of the MusicMan bass series that has now been discontinued.
Quote by anarkee

On the other question. The SUB Bass doesn't refer to its relative frequency, its the name of the MusicMan bass series that has now been discontinued.

IIRC it originally stood for (before it became part of the Sterling by Music Man line) Sports Utility Bass.
Composite Aficionado

Spector and Markbass
the lowest tuned bass goes down to F#, as for sub bass no real instrument actually produces those notes, only electronic/digital instruments will.
If you've got the money and you're a glutton for punishment, you could always have a "C Extension" added to an upright double bass:

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
Isnt there a contra bass or something that goes below the f# to a c? I vaguely remember something along those lines on one of my 3 visits to talkbass
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by almudjk
the lowest tuned bass goes down to F#, as for sub bass no real instrument actually produces those notes, only electronic/digital instruments will.

The lowest tuned electric bass I know is tuned down to B0, a whole octave below the low B on a 5 string.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
The lowest tuned electric bass I know is tuned down to B0, a whole octave below the low B on a 5 string.

That "B" string must be about half an inch thick! Either that, or the scale length is about six feet long!
^Oddly enough, I've actually seen one of those basses. The fingerboard is about as wide as a surfboard. I have no idea how he manages to play that thing.
Quote by FatalGear41
^Oddly enough, I've actually seen one of those basses. The fingerboard is about as wide as a surfboard. I have no idea how he manages to play that thing.

That's the really annoying thing- Yves plays this thing fingerstyle as well as the more 'traditional' tapping (as if there's anything traditional about a 12 string ERB ), and he uses the whole board.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
That's the really annoying thing- Yves plays this thing fingerstyle as well as the more 'traditional' tapping (as if there's anything traditional about a 12 string ERB ), and he uses the whole board.

Ten bucks says he's actually a space alien hiding on earth in human form. That is the only possible explanation!
$10 would buy me about half a B0 string
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
$10 would buy me about half a B0 string

Not even half. I have a .210 tuned to E0, an octave below a bass at 35", and that was about $35.

For the record, it's perfectly audible. I even tuned it to E00, around 10hz, and it was insane on a system with an excellent sub. Cue the sample.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
it sounds like a basketball being thrown down a hallway. i approve, very kvlt
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Exactly.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221