Long post ahead:

I bought a 1987 Ibanez RG135 last week with the intention of modding it without having to ruin/make mistakes on my better guitars, and as a learning experience. I want to replace pretty much everything that I can on it, just because I can.

Also, there's a 2-way switch in between the volume and tone knobs. It seems to kill the hum of the bridge single coil only. Does anyone know what this is exactly?

I am going to be thinking aloud here, and I apologize. Also, pics if you care: http://s904.photobucket.com/user/AWACS1/library/1987%20Ibanez%20RG135?sort=3&page=1

Because of it being an older "odd" (I think) guitar, I'm not sure as to how I would go about getting parts for it. Is there a large aftermarket for something like this?

I haven't played it much as of yet because its missing a string and I would think it'd be better to have new tuners on there first before I waste 2 or 3 packs of strings stringing it with the current tuners, then getting new tuners, and restringing again (probably messing up once or twice along the way).

I guess I'll have to play it for a while first to really see whats wrong, but at this point I want to replace the volume and tone pots (scratchy), tuners (dirty), pickguard (just because), pickguard screws (rusty), pickups (maybe), the input jack (looks worn), and the bridge (is it any good?).

It also needs a knob for the pickup selector, and I was even thinking about tearing it apart and refinishing it with just a clear coat depending on how nice the wood is. Otherwise there are less scratches on it the my 4 year old Tele and year old PRS SE.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Last edited by AWACS at Jun 10, 2013,
Bump. No ideas?
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
Pretty much everything but the bridge and pickguard should be a straight replacement.
You can get pickgraurd material and use your existing one as a template if you want a new one.
Changing the bridge will quite possibly require some body modification, it depends on how it's mounted and the shape of the cavities as they are now.
Check the diameter of the holes for the tuners so you can make sure new ones will fit.

Pictures of the wiring might help identify the function of the toggle switch.
I agree. The bridge might give you some trouble. Everything else is straight forward. The switch could be a series/parallel switch that swaps the direction the signal flows through one of the pickups.
Last edited by poppameth at Jun 15, 2013,
The two way toggle seems to cancel the hum in the 1 (neck) and 3 (bridge?) position. The pickup selector switch is actually a 4-way switch, which seems quite weird.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
I haven't been able to find much info on the guitar to figure out what the switch actually does. From what I've found it has three standard single coils so it can't be any kind of coil tap for a stacked or noise cancelling single. It almost has to be a phase or series/parallel switch. Any chance on getting a gut shot of the back of the pick guard so we can see the wiring?
I'll try and put up a pic soon. I have to re-string it anyways as the original strings from who knows how long are still on there. I'll try and get a gut shotup soon.
Caution:

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive