First off, I am a complete noob to guitars and guitar accessories (but not to music). I've done my best to educate myself via these forums and google, and yes I have read the stickies and used the search function to read as many threads pertinent to my questions as possible. But I still need advice.

I'll keep this as succinct as I can. I plan on buying an electric guitar soon (still undecided, will ask for help on this on the appropriate forum). However, I will NOT be buying an amp, as I live in apartment and don't want to piss my neighbors off. I need to practice silently with headphones at all times. I have both a high-powered desktop computer and a laptop at my disposal when I am playing - I do not care if I need to be tethered to a computer. I do not want a headphone amp. I am considering the following products (budget of about $200):
- Scarlett 2i4
- Line6 UX1 (or UX2). I've read some negative things about POD Farm
- POD 2.0 (the POD HD is out of my price range).

Now I am aware that the Scarlett 2i4 and Line6 UX1 are recording devices, and that the POD 2.0 can record as well but is not an ideal choice. I've also heard negative things about POD Farm from people on this forum (but also good things as well). However, I do not plan on recording my playing right now, and I still don't have a complete understanding of how this recording device works.

Simply, can I use the Scarlett 2i4 directly for guitar practice (not recording) via my computer and headphones, with alterations to my guitar tone made with free amp simulation software? Or should I be looking at a product like the POD 2.0 in which I can plug both my guitar and headphones into directly for practice? In the simplest terms, I'm looking for a product that will give me versatility and quality sound through my headphones. It appears to me that the Scarlett, if capable of doing so, is the best choice based on what I've read in these forums.

If this question seems really stupid, I apologize - I simply want to make sure that I am getting the quality products I need to maintain my interest in guitar playing. And since the sticky for this forum asks, I plan on playing blues and rock to start out, and I'm also a huge fan of classic and thrash metal (hence the desire for versatility).

I'd really appreciate any feedback as I want to start buying what I need and playing guitar as soon as possible. I've been mulling over this for too long. Thanks a bunch.

TLDR Version:
- I need a quality product that can turn my computer into an amp so that I can practice silently with headphones. I do not plan on doing any recording as of now.
- My budget for this product is about $200, willing to go to $250 if needed.
- Products I am looking at: Scarlett 2i4, Line6 UX1 (or UX2), POD 2.0. I am aware that these are recording devices (the Scarlett and Line6, primarily).
- Can I use the Scarlett 2i4 simply for guitar practice (not recording) via my computer and headphones, with alterations to my guitar tone made with free amp simulation software? Or should I be looking at a product like the POD 2.0 in which I can plug both my guitar and headphones into directly for practice?
- I have looked at headphone amps, and I do not want one.
- Would appreciate advice to my question above. Thanks.
Last edited by cwdsi at Jun 10, 2013,
A used XT would be better than the 2.0 POD.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
A used XT would be better than the 2.0 POD.

+1 you can get the POD XT bean for $69-$89 or the XT live is $150ish.

You could even get a used POD X3 which was the model right before the HD for $150ish for the bean and you can find the X3 live for $199

look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Based on your suggestions, I should be looking at amp modelers and not so much recording devices. I'll look at the POD XT and X3. Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated.
The POD's can be used for recording just fine.

You might want the Live version just because it has a built in foot controller that you can use easy live if you ever need to. The bean can also be used live, but you will need a FBV foot controller to change on the fly
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate