Budget? - $350 would be the top I'd want to spend.

Favorite Artists? - Not any in particular, just general metal/rock. Play a lot of AC/DC and Metallica etc, but I also will play just about anything else.

Preferences? - Hard to say, I've really only had my one guitar. I do love it though.

Pickups? - I prefer Humbuckers at least that's what I always use now(bridge pickup).

New or Used? -Either

Location? - Middle of nowhere. A couple pawn shops, no music stores really in driving range.

Current Gear? - Ibanez RG170. Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w.

I am currently playing an Ibanez RG170 which has had the pickups replaced with active Seymour Duncans. I love pretty much everything about the guitar really. The tone, the neck, the size the weight. I know it's not exactly most peoples idea of a dream guitar, but I have never felt a need to replace it.

But it's getting old now(16 years). It doesn't have too much use on it, but it's starting to have rust issues and the like... this is basically the only guitar I've ever played but until recently I just played with it now and again, sometimes weeks or even months between sessions. Just haven't had the time to learn until recently. So really I am a novice player, despite the years since I first picked one up. I play a lot now, and it's starting to show it's age.

I need help replacing it, because they no longer make this guitar. Not sure if I should stick with Ibby or go elsewhere. Also not sure if I should buy a cheaper guitar and put active Seymours in it like I did this one, or buy a lightly better guitar with passives. I play metal and hard rock mostly. I do enjoy a versatile guitar though as I am prone to play just about anything.

I recently bought a new amp and the folks at this forum were able to help me pick a great used one from GCs website(I don't live near music and good music stores) and I am very happy with the amp so I thought I'd take a shot at getting a little help on a new guitar. My budget is no more than 350, would prefer lower. That price would need to include the new pickups if they are needed. I am not even sure how much better active pickups sound, having never played anything else any real amount of time.

P.S. The guitar will be played through my Peavey Vypyr Tube 60w.
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Jun 10, 2013,
Where is the rust? It probably doesn't affect the guitar at all other than cosmetically.

Somehow out of that essay you didn't really give us much useful info.

If you answer these questions here we'll be able to find something for you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Is it at all possible for you to save up more? You probably won't see a huge jump in quality from what you have with that budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 10, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Where is the rust? It probably doesn't affect the guitar at all other than cosmetically.

Somehow out of that essay you didn't really give us much useful info.

If you answer these questions here we'll be able to find something for you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Is it at all possible for you to save up more? You probably won't see a huge jump in quality from what you have with that budget.

Ok i update my post to include those questions at the top. As far as the rust, it's all the screws in the entire guitar face plus the bridge adjustment screws are rusted all to hell. I called a music store to see about fixing but they say they can't be fixed and that I need a whole new bridge. And the electronics are all crackly(knobs and such). The input jack is a bit picky as well. Overall the guitar is just a little "rickety" I guess you might say. It can be repaired I'm sure but that would involve a whole new bridge, all new electronics who knows what else. I doubt if it's worth all that. Plus I'd have a long drive both ways to take it anywhere.
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Jun 10, 2013,
What would you guys think about this one?
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-RG3EXFM1-109035104-i3175743.gc

A have a friend down there I may be able to have him bring it here next trip. It's cheap, but that gives me leftover to put at least one active pickup on the bridge(I rarely use the other pickups). Do you think that would be a decent guitar with a new active humbucker on the bridge? I'd be buying it without playing but they take returns, if I hate it he can bring it back with him and return it.
The "Preferences" is really the main thing in that sticky. There are so many possible combinations of specs... without knowing what you like, we're pretty much just shooting things we like at you.

That's a decent guitar. If you put an active only in the bridge, you won't be able to use the neck. You can't really mix actives and passives (you can, but it's a huge PITA with many problems).

EDIT: At the very least, do you know if you want a trem or a fixed bridge?

Do you need 24 frets? Do you ever use 23-24, or ever see yourself using them?

As far as pickups go, look into the Seymour Duncan SH-5 Custom. It's not a Blackout, but it should give you a good balance between ACDC & Metallica. It also has a moderate output, so your Vypyr will handle it better (super hot signals are generally not ideal for modeling amps).

I found this. If you want a trem, you really cannot go wrong here. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-MIJ-RG-NEW-PENNY-FINISH-NC-108686245-i3002175.gc

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I would not really care to have a Floyd Rose style bridge. I don't use the trem I have and I've never missed it. And I have read that those things are a real PITA. But I'm not totally against the idea.
Alright.

I would get this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-RG321-MH-109050115-i3162374.gc

It has the newer Gibralter bridge, which is much more comfortable and ergonomic than that horrible fixed bridge they used before (the one on the RG3EX1 you linked).

If you want somethign slightly more stylish, there's this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-IBANEZ-RG471AH-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-109072399-i3172785.gc

Same bridge. Very similar overall. Pretty sure it has an Ash body rather than Mahogany.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Just got one of these beauties in black a month ago. Absolutely stellar guitar, plays and sounds way better than any other $400 guitar. $50 over your budget, but definitely worth some more research. It has a 5-way switch with coil tap so 9 different combos yields a whole lot of tonal diversity.
EDIT: forgot link http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Nighthawk-Electric-Guitar-106505886-i1659936.gc
EDIT 2: damnit I skipped over the part that said GC USED... http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-EPIPHONE-NIGHTHAWK-CUSTOM-REISSUE-TOBACCO-BST-109054382-i3167104.gc
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Last edited by Lagunaguitar at Jun 11, 2013,
What do you fellas think about this deal? Seems super cheap and from a known dealer. They don't even go used there for under 399, but they are having a sale it would seem. Sure it has a FR Trem but I can live with that. If the guitar is really nice. Also there is another one i missed, fathers day coupon code. I added it, with that the price is only 325, still free shipping. Of course I can't play this one first since it's via mail. What do we think guys? They do take returns, I see.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd320-electric-guitar/584139000002000
Last edited by DeathByPalmMute at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by DeathByPalmMute
What do you fellas think about this deal? Seems super cheap and from a known dealer. They don't even go used there for under 399, but they are having a sale it would seem. Sure it has a FR Trem but I can live with that. If the guitar is really nice. Also there is another one i missed, fathers day coupon code. I added it, with that the price is only 325, still free shipping. Of course I can't play this one first since it's via mail. What do we think guys? They do take returns, I see.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-rgd320-electric-guitar/584139000002000

Do you always play tuned a whole step down? Cause it seems that's what factory tuning is on it. Neck also seems a little longer than average
Gear:
Alesis DM6
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Sony 5.1 system
I read that a minute ago on a review. But no, I don't. Couldn't you just tune it to standard? Or would that not be a good thing?
You could tune it to standard but then the Floyd Rose bridge would not be level. It's all about spring tension balanced with string tension.. that guitar is set up (spring tension in the back) that when it is tuned in D standard the bridge is level. Don't know much about ESP to be honest.
Gear:
Alesis DM6
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Sony 5.1 system
Quote by DeathByPalmMute

The first link, the RG471 us good. It has a Gibralter bridge. That second link has the older style bridge. I wouldn't go for it.

Quote by DeathByPalmMute

That guitar has an Edge III which is a garbage bridge. Stay away.

Quote by DeathByPalmMute
Are ESP Guitars any good?

Assuming you're talking about LTDs... their older guitars are really good. Really consistent QC. In recent years I can't say that about them anymore. It's a play before play deal now. I wouldn't recommend a new LTD blindly. If it's made around 07 or before, then go for it, no worries.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92

That guitar has an Edge III which is a garbage bridge. Stay away.

That's right, it's not very good. You should try finding something better.
$350 is going to be a tough budget to meet for quailty construction and parts. I would recommend that you look for used euipment from major retailers (guitar center, sam ash) so you can return it if it sucks.

as somebody else said ESP LTDs were really good a few years ago... some people say they are hit or miss lately, but I know two people who purchased some lower end LTD models recently and the fit, finish and setup were just as impressive as my EC400vf Eclipse when i got mine in 2008... so in my personal first hand experience, ESP LTD would be a great option.

Just my opinion, but since you already have an axe with active pups, that covers your 'metal' sound... I would recommend finding something with a Duncan JB/59' or JB/Jazz pickup combo. Those pups are great for classic and hard rock. LTD 400 series models will have those combinations...
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
$350 is going to be a tough budget to meet for quailty construction and parts. I would recommend that you look for used euipment from major retailers (guitar center, sam ash) so you can return it if it sucks.

as somebody else said ESP LTDs were really good a few years ago... some people say they are hit or miss lately, but I know two people who purchased some lower end LTD models recently and the fit, finish and setup were just as impressive as my EC400vf Eclipse when i got mine in 2008... so in my personal first hand experience, ESP LTD is still a great option.

Just my opinion, but since you already have an axe with active pups, that covers your 'metal' sound... I would recommend finding something with a Duncan JB/59' or JB/Jazz pickup combo. Those pups are great for classic and hard rock. LTD 400 series models will have those combinations...
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100