Soooo.. for those of you on here who like riddles, here goes:

My POD HD300 is plugged into an outlet with no other appliances, on a tile floor. With just my headphones plugged in it sounds quiet. As soon as I plug in a cable it starts getting a fizzing hiss of distortion that is noticable. if I move the free end of the cable near any conductive surfaces it gets slightly louder, and if I touch the free end to a conductive surface it buzzes ferociously, including my guitar's jack...

However, I tested this out in the audiotech lab at my school and it was quiet. I also tried it at home tonight and it randomly worked perfectly for about 15 minutes before it went back to buzzing. This behavior leads me to think that there is some sort of ground connector that has come unsoldered, maybe in the input jack for the guitar cable? But that wouldn't explain why it worked at school. Could it be that the internet in my house sucks? How could I test that with common household items?

Any feedback on this conundrum is appreciated. If the consensus is that the ground on the jack is loose I could open it up and resolder it, but does anybody know if it has some warranty stickers on the inside? I have a month to return it to guitar center (bought used for $175 so it was a good deal if it works), so I don't want to do anything irreversible.
Did you have the same cable when you tested it at your other place?

Does it make noise with your guitar plugged in? Volume zero on guitar?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Yes, it makes noise with the guitar plugged in. Volume zero on guitar returns it to normal, I don't have the same cable but I have tested it with two cables, neither of which have had any other issues (and one is a nice-ish one). I also have not had any noise issues with the guitar before, which is a carvin superstrat with humbuckers. I can't hear any difference when I activate the coil splits, either.
A moment of revelation: I also brought the pod hd back to guitar center to see if they knew what the issue was, and it worked there. So my house is the only place out of 3 that has had an issue. I have also had a noise issue with an audio interface. Could it be my house's electrical that is causing the problem? How can I test this without a power conditioner on hand? Would a surge protector be a working alternative?
Quote by eoinbm430
A moment of revelation: I also brought the pod hd back to guitar center to see if they knew what the issue was, and it worked there. So my house is the only place out of 3 that has had an issue. I have also had a noise issue with an audio interface. Could it be my house's electrical that is causing the problem? How can I test this without a power conditioner on hand? Would a surge protector be a working alternative?

Not out of the question. Do any other appliances or electrics play up at all? Have you tried different power outlets in your house?

Get an electrician in?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
go get an outlet probe from the hardware store. it looks like a yellow male extention cord end with 3 small test lights. This will let you know if the ground, hot and neutral are correct on that plug
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate