Originally I, I wanted the Kurt Cobain signature jaguar, but that is way out of my price range. I settled for the 2012 squier vintage jaguar, just for asthetic reasons (Jags are the coolest looking guitars to me) and I love it. I'm not muck of a single coil fan but he duncan pickups it came with sound awesome. Even so I think I still wanna swap them out for humbuckers.

Since I originally wanted the cobain Jag I got the idea to try and make a squier version of it which is just putting dimarzion super distortion pickups in the bridge. I'm not worried about the neck since I never play in that position. The pickguard is cut for single coil pickups though. Can a tech cut the pick guard to fit humbuckers? And how much wuld something like this cost? I wanted to learn so I can do this myself since it doesn't seem like a big job but I have no experience with electronics.
Last edited by squierguy09 at Jun 11, 2013,
The electronics arent the problem. Sure you can do this. It will probably cost you about the value of the guitar over to include the dimarzios, the work to route the body and to route the pickguard and do the final mounting and solderwork.

A good competant tech can do all 4.

But you're gonna pay.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Last edited by Phoenix V at Jun 11, 2013,
Well I don't know for sure but I would imagine the wood is only routed for single coils too. Instead of getting a tech to mess about with routing your guitar, you should look into single coil sized humbuckers. It just so happens that DiMarzio do a single coil sized version of the Super-Distortion called the Super Distortion S:
http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/strat/hum-canceling-strat/super-distortion-s

However, the main purpose of pickups is to achieve a certain voicing. Do yourself a favour and look into the various hum-cancelling strat pickups DiMarzio (and other brands) have to offer.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Yup, single coil sized humbuckers. Do it. They are sweet since you just plop them in.

Dimarzio super distortions are sweet. Not for everybody though. Better Than Seymore Duncans distortion SH6 imho.

At any rate set it up series/parrallel or series/tap and it will be way better than what you have now.

my dude would go $90 for the pup,$10-15 for a push pull pot, $30 to put i in....and some new strings...$6
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jun 11, 2013,
Quote by danvwman
Dimarzio super distortions are sweet. Not for everybody though. Better Than Seymore Duncans distortion SH6 imho.
It just so happens that I've been looking into getting a Duncan Distortion but I'm not sure if I would prefer the DiMarzio Dominion...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
It just so happens that I've been looking into getting a Duncan Distortion but I'm not sure if I would prefer the DiMarzio Dominion...

I heard the duncans are pretty good but I haven't heard about the dimarzio Dominions