Would it be possible with just some sort of modification on the guitar itself, or would this have to be a completely different system of the input jack/amp/pickups etc?
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
Some guitars have built-in effects, essentially stripped down pedals with a 9V battery. You could look into those.

Another way to do it would be to integrate a momentary switch into your guitar, completely separate from all its other electronics, and run it with a separate output jack to replace a pedal's footswitch. It wouldn't make much sense though since it would look messy and you'd have to modify your pedals.
depending on how overdriven you play. If you have a guitar say with 2 pickups with independant volumes pots for each one, you could roll get the gain to the ring amount you like with the bridge pickup, with the volume fully opened, and roll the volume back on the neck pickup till its cleaned up. and switch between the two.

obviously would imagine this would only work if you didnt play with full on distortion. but with valve overdrive I guess.
My Jazzmaster mod fits this. If anyone isn't aware of the basic jazzmaster controls, it has a master volume and tone and three way switch, and a two way switch which switches to just neck with it's own controls. By removing the super dark tone control, you're left with a switch which basically isolates the neck pickup with its own volume. Roll down to 6/7 for instant clean, while keeping full flexibility of the main circuit.

I would imagine that on a gibson type guitar, you could turn the bridge controls into master controls, replace the neck tone with a two way switch and wire it up similarly. The neck volume would be independent of the master, allowing you to leave it rolled off for cleans. You basically have an extra volume control and pickup combo which can be switched in by the two way switch.

TL;DR My Jazzmaster does it, any guitar with two pickups, three pots and room for a two way switch can too.
Dude, where's my band?
You can look at the MOD boards from www.guitarfetish.com
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What are you going too play? Rock? metal? blues? Cause with a cranked metal-sounding amp rolling back the volume doesn't always work too well.

What amp are you using?

Do you know what distortion pedals are? Or are you trying to avoid using them?

What guitar+pickups are you using?

You're really giving us jack-shit to work off of to help you TS you need to provide more information when you ask gear questions

You could use a stereo jack and a stereo splitter box or dual outputs with two amps or get/build a custom splitter with an effects loop built in that's only active on the pickup send you want. But honestly it's a lot more work than just getting a good dirt pedal and turn it on and switch pickups at the same time.
Obviously not quite what you're after, but:
http://www.voxamps.com/uk/guitars/series55/

It could be used like what is suggested above (switching pickups set at different volumes), but as the pickups themselves switch between single coil, p90 and humbucker, you could use that to add to the difference you could get between clean & dirty sounds.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by tukk04
What are you going too play? Rock? metal? blues? Cause with a cranked metal-sounding amp rolling back the volume doesn't always work too well.

What amp are you using?

Do you know what distortion pedals are? Or are you trying to avoid using them?

What guitar+pickups are you using?

You're really giving us jack-shit to work off of to help you TS you need to provide more information when you ask gear questions

You could use a stereo jack and a stereo splitter box or dual outputs with two amps or get/build a custom splitter with an effects loop built in that's only active on the pickup send you want. But honestly it's a lot more work than just getting a good dirt pedal and turn it on and switch pickups at the same time.

I apologize, I wasn't directly trying to get specific details on how to make this happen for my setup, it was more of a random thought I had after I saw this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1nWqEACfdg

I have a guitar with EMG 81/60 1tone/1vol/3-way and I play through a POD X3 Live which goes to regular speakers and have no problem using the footswitches on the POD to switch through different tones.
Schecter Omen 6FR
Line 6 POD X3 Live
Line 6 spider IV15
Yamaha F325
With a setup like that it wont really be possible. In a rig with a valve amp you could add a pickup booster which increases the output of the guitar and drives the amps front end more but most solid state or modelling amps don't really handle it too well.

In that video the switch on Hetfields explorer is just the pickup selector and it looks like the switch was making poor contact and dropping the signal from the pickups, it wasn't intentionally clean. That's why after a wiggle he got it to sound like it should have done.
Quote by sic6505+
With a setup like that it wont really be possible. In a rig with a valve amp you could add a pickup booster which increases the output of the guitar and drives the amps front end more but most solid state or modelling amps don't really handle it too well.

In that video the switch on Hetfields explorer is just the pickup selector and it looks like the switch was making poor contact and dropping the signal from the pickups, it wasn't intentionally clean. That's why after a wiggle he got it to sound like it should have done.

Yup, this is correct. That is exactly what happened. The switch or the solder joint was wearing out and it didnt have full signal. So it sounded clean until it got contact again.
I recently did something like this to my strat. Basically what I did was wire in a small 500K trim pot and a 2 way mini toggle. With the toggle pushed upward, the signal runs through the usual circuit (which happens to be 2 single coils w/ a master volume and tone) but when you flick the switch downward the signal is routed through the trim pot and then through the rest of the usual circuit. Essentially it works as a variable resistor that you can set to whatever value you please. With the trim pot cranked, I get a clean tone even when my initial tone is quite dirty, and of course it could be adjusted to give you a very saturated tone when disengaged and a crunchy sound when engaged etc. etc.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Yup, this is correct. That is exactly what happened. The switch or the solder joint was wearing out and it didnt have full signal. So it sounded clean until it got contact again.

That's exactly what was happening in that clip TS, his switch isn't changing the sound through custom wiring, that was just the result of the switch failing.

It's ok that you didn't know, you can't be expected to know everything.