Hey everyone!
I'm going to keep this short.
My guitar was leaned against my couch and I accidentally bumped it with my foot and it fell against the radiator. It hit the radiator with the tuners and believe it or not - it almost caught on fire (there was a really bright light for a split second, probably sparks). One of the tuners turned pitch black instantly and the string attached to it broke as well. Also, frets from about 3-7 are a bit damaged as well (they have these tiny "cracks" in them, as if someone pushed the string like REALLY hard onto the fret).
Could anyone please tell me what the F happened? The guitar wasn't even plugged in or anything.
Didn't keep it as short as I intended to, but oh well..
Sounds pretty badass. Haven't a clue how that coulda happened. You sure your frets aren't just really worn and you've only just noticed it? Or the impact coulda dented them.
I don't have a clue either man, how long did it stay on the radiator? Kinda sounds like an electrical arc or somethin. Electric radiator? May never know man, weird, sucks about your guitar though.
Guitars and Motorcycles
The tiny cracks sound like regular wear from playing. It's probably more of a dent. You probably didn't realize you had them until now.

As for your tuner, it was probably plastic so the tip charred. You can probably just replace it and it'll be fine.

If you can take some pictures we can help more.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
Sounds pretty badass. Haven't a clue how that coulda happened. You sure your frets aren't just really worn and you've only just noticed it? Or the impact coulda dented them.

Jep, it was definitely the impact that damaged them, since worn out frets look NOTHING like what I had. And it wasn't an electric radiator, either. Plus, the plastic thingy is just fine, it's the metal part above that's charred.
And to the one who told me to stop drinking - I would have accidentally knocked the guitar over even if I was sober.
Could have been static... but Id be surprised if enough charge built up to damage a tuning peg!

I've heard of older houses having electric grounds attached to plumbing pipes, so maybe you have a dodgy earth somewhere that's linked to the radiator... bit far fetched.

Go touch the radiator, if you don't come back we'll assume you were electrocuted, but at least you'll have found your problem
Definitely sounds like some kind of electrical shock
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
no i'm kidding shit happens.

the impact with the radiator cause the entire house to ground through the les paul for a fraction of a second.

that infusion of energy caused more mojo than playing on bourbon street for 50 years would have.

it fried any remaining micro-organisms within the wood, it's probably a much lighter guitar now and far more resonant.

the tulip tuner got the brunt of it being fried instantly and the frets arched with the strings causing that visible damage.

Sound exactly like you shorted out some high voltage shit man, sounds like the bright spark you saw was the strings almost spot welding to the fret, probably why you have damaged frets.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
When you say vintage LP are we talking real vintage (pre 1980) or what every one wants to call vintage now (pre 1998)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
When you say vintage LP are we talking real vintage (pre 1980) or what every one wants to call vintage now (pre 1998)

This is the $20,000 question lol
Guitars and Motorcycles
You need to get an electrician in IMMEDIATELY to see if the radiator has something electrical shorted to it.

Don't screw with this.

If you actually drew sparks from an AC line short, that is more than enough to kill you.

Was the jack (where the guitar cord attaches) or any other metal part of the guitar (bridge, controls, etc.) touching anything when this happened?
Quote by Robbgnarly

I'm hoping he means Vintage as in the guitar brand.
Pics or it didn't happen.
My Current Gear
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded (Cherry Burst) || Gibson Les Paul Junior (Vintage Sunburst)
Marshall 1987X and 1960AX || Weber Mass 100
Fulltone OCD pedal || Ibanez TS-9 tube screamer || Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker || Boss AC2
Quote by zl1288
I'm hoping he means Vintage as in the guitar brand.

+1
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Wesbanez
Could have been static... but Id be surprised if enough charge built up to damage a tuning peg!

I've heard of older houses having electric grounds attached to plumbing pipes, so maybe you have a dodgy earth somewhere that's linked to the radiator... bit far fetched.

Go touch the radiator, if you don't come back we'll assume you were electrocuted, but at least you'll have found your problem

the guitar probably saved his life.

you killed him.

well the guy was a alcohollica.

so he's probably out drinking.

or dead because Wesbanez killed him.
It's a Gibson 1959 Les Paul Standard. What a shame that one of these beauties got damaged.
Well I touched the radiator and didn't get shocked.
I replaced the strings - put some nice Ernie Balls on there - and everything seems to be fine now. The tuner just seemed to be a bit sharp from getting the shock, so I was afraid it would cut the string in half as I was tuning it, but luckily it didn't.
Now, you can calm down, it's a Vintage AFD100 Paradise Les Paul.