After going through various options and mini-decisions, including a few travel related ones, I've realised that a multi-effects pedal will be the best for me, and thus, I've settled on the Zoom G5 as it looks to be the best option for me, within my budget ($300)

I intend to try before I buy, of course, but any opinions on it are welcome, especially if there's any other product I've overlooked.

Cheers, and thanks in advance!
Good choice. It does not have a loop, which is good for a 4CM hookup to an amp or adding additional pedals into the chain. It does not have the best ergonomics for switching patches in a live gigging situation. In addition the clean amp models could be better. But if those things don't bother you too much then it's a killer unit.
Quote by fly135
Good choice. It does not have a loop, which is good for a 4CM hookup to an amp or adding additional pedals into the chain. It does not have the best ergonomics for switching patches in a live gigging situation. In addition the clean amp models could be better. But if those things don't bother you too much then it's a killer unit.

I intend to use it for gigs, when I get around to them, but I suppose that can be worked out. It does have a slot for an optional footswitch/pedal, but is that only compatible with the ones by Zoom?
I have a G3 and I love it with headphones but I gave up on using it with my amp. It seems, no matter what (real) amp you use, it makes it sound like a cheap multifx unit, go figure. It is however a great pedal, my personal fav because of the ease of use, useful practice features and for as bad as it sounds loud, it sounds amazing through decent headphones.
I have a G3 as well I recently went to as my G9.2tt was going bad. For multi-fx it's great. the Pitch shifters track incredibly well. if you have a good amp keep the swithcin on the amp for your clean dirty.
Live Rig:
Peavey VK (power amp)
R&R Amps SL/LD (preamp)
EB Volume
Zoom G3
Morpheus Dive bomber
Dunlop 95Q
Guitar-any in my stable
5150 Cab (V30/Sheffield X-pat)
Quote by narinderkapur
I intend to use it for gigs, when I get around to them, but I suppose that can be worked out. It does have a slot for an optional footswitch/pedal, but is that only compatible with the ones by Zoom?
I have a $30 M-Audio EX-P that works with my G5. I would suggest reviewing the manual regarding patch changing to see if the control system works for you. There is a mod that makes switches a breeze but it looks like quite a job to do it. And would definitely kill the warranty.

http://ashbass.com/AshBassGuitar/Zoom/
@fly135 I'll go through that, thanks. In response to the other replies, I have a modeling amp right now [Mini3 - I know it sounds weird going for a multi-fx rather than a tube or solid state, but my circumstances allow that], so I'll be using the G5 through my computer, or through a PA/compatible speakers. That shouldn't cause any problems, should it?
Put the G5 into the modeling amp's aux input if it has one. I use a multifx into a Fender SCXD all the time. It has a Acoustic amp model that works great with the drums because you get a fuller range response. The aux input should do something similar. Either that or just use the cleanest low gain amp model and turn off the other FX. There are really no rules, just guidelines.