'sup.

I'm an Orange fanboy and want to buy one for my next amp (I'm currently playing on an Epiphone Valve Junior). I've got a bit of a hard-on for the Rockerverb, but my local GC has a nice Tiny Terror 1x12 combo for much cheaper. I'd like to know your thoughts.

I mostly play in my bedroom (I'm in an apartment), and I can't say whether or not I'll graduate to gigging anytime soon. I'd probably just use it for recording in the immediate future, but the gigworthiness of both amps would be nice to know.

As far as what I play, it's all over the map but mostly classic rock and my own stuff that's heavily influenced by same, or punk. Budget is not an issue, although if the only deciding factor is the price I don't have a problem getting the Terror.

As far as the apartment noise-issue goes, assume it's not a factor.

What say you, gang?
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Jun 11, 2013,
Id go for the TT

I didnt like the sound of the rockerverb as much, it sounded too modern for me and it was way too expensive.

I would try to find the head version though because thats the One i tried that I liked. Combo should be close but I dont know

Keep in mind I believe the rockverb has better headroom for cleans
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Last edited by British_Steal at Jun 11, 2013,
There is no RV30, there is a Rocker 30 which is different than the RV line (no where neer the gain of the RV50/100)

What is your price range?

www.humbuckermusic.com has some of the best Orange prices you will find new, but if you call MF they will match their prices and then beat it by 10%. You can get a TH30 head for $850ish new this way intread of the $1199 everyone is wanting
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Assuming you mean the Rocker 30. They're awesome, and sound better than the the TT. So if you can find one, get one.
LesPaul
Pedals
OrangeRocker30
My band
PBT Native: Resident Graphics Monkey

Yes, thank you all for the correction. I did in fact mean the Rockerverb (50?), although if the Rocker 30 is worth considering I'll look at that one, also. I'm not terribly interested in a Thunderverb... I was under the impression it was more 'modern metal'. If I'm wrong, that's okay.

What is your price range?

Assume that I'm willing to pay full retail for either, although I may peruse classifieds to see if I can get a better deal.

And, call me a silly person, but I'm not willing to get the Tiny Terror head. That thing is fugly as hell. If I got one at all, it'd have to be a combo.
did you check the link to humbucker music I posted they have excellent prices on Orange that you can not find anywhere, but Musicians Friend will match then take an additional 10% off of that price.

The Thunderverb is deff a modern metal amp, but so is the rockerverb but the RV has a tighter bass than the Thunderverb.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
did you check the link to humbucker music I posted they have excellent prices on Orange that you can not find anywhere, but Musicians Friend will match then take an additional 10% off of that price.

I did, thanks. I'm probably going to do what you suggested when/if I finally decide to buy one.
Quote by CarsonStevens
I did, thanks. I'm probably going to do what you suggested when/if I finally decide to buy one.

Yeah that is the cheapest way to by an Orange new in the USA

Have you looked at the TH30 at all? it is actually a very nice amp and one of the less expensive Orange heads I consider worth owning
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CarsonStevens

Just be sure to actually try out the amp first. I've played several different Orange models, & they are fairly different tone-wise IMO. I actually enjoyed the Tiny Terror through a 4X12 the best, as it had the most lively & crisp response & feel to it, with a really nice tone with the gain. The big Oranges (50W +) all had nice gain, but seemed a bit darker & less responsive, esp in the low end-almost fizzy. The Rocker 30 simply didn't have enough gain for me on its own (I play old Van Halen levels of gain).
Seriously, if you're just playing in your bedroom, the cheap way may be the best way.
BTW, I live in SJ also. I work 5 blocks from GC & almost never go there
Like RobbG said, MF is one of the best places to buy from. I've gotten several things from them.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear is a great place to look for used amps, I have bought 2 in the last few months and they have been great.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by riffhog
Just be sure to actually try out the amp first. I've played several different Orange models, & they are fairly different tone-wise IMO. I actually enjoyed the Tiny Terror through a 4X12 the best, as it had the most lively & crisp response & feel to it, with a really nice tone with the gain. The big Oranges (50W +) all had nice gain, but seemed a bit darker & less responsive, esp in the low end-almost fizzy. The Rocker 30 simply didn't have enough gain for me on its own (I play old Van Halen levels of gain).
Seriously, if you're just playing in your bedroom, the cheap way may be the best way.
BTW, I live in SJ also. I work 5 blocks from GC & almost never go there
Like RobbG said, MF is one of the best places to buy from. I've gotten several things from them.

Small world. I was just up there yesterday to buy strings and a Boss Combo Drive. I'm kinda lucky though, I live a few blocks from CB Perkins so I usually just go over there for the small stuff.

You kinda hit the nail on the head, though; my main concern is wattage. Seems like a 50-watt tube is overkill for what I do, but I don't want an amp so tiny that I have to buy a new one if I decided to start gigging. However, "gigging" for me wouldn't be for another year or three, and it would maybe consist of small open-mic nights at best, not clubs or what-not. I think if I ever do join a band, I'd do it as a bassist.

Have you looked at the TH30 at all?

Not initially, but I see that it has two channels, which would be nice. I have the feeling that any one of the three would have enough, if not more, gain than I need. Good to know about the Rocker 30, though. That lets me eliminate it.
if your worried about gigging maybe get a TT head and a cabinet

Trust me 15W may not sound like much but through a 2x12 or 4x12 its ****ing LOUD
Quote by The Spoon
Unless you're sure she likes you, telling her you like her has a 110% chance of failing.

But hey, at least you have a 10% chance of absolutely guaranteeing failure.
Quote by British_Steal
if your worried about gigging maybe get a TT head and a cabinet

Trust me 15W may not sound like much but through a 2x12 or 4x12 its ****ing LOUD

In the middle of the thread, the TS stated he hated the look of the TT head
but I think it looks pretty cool. True, though, about the 15w being loud. I play a 20W 1X12 combo for just about every gig I play, & it will absolutely rip your face off. The TT combo would be sweet.

BTW-TS, have you been to any local blues jams?

I gotta get home from work now, may not get back on til tomorrow.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Quote by riffhog
I play a 20W 1X12 combo for just about every gig I play, & it will absolutely rip your face off. The TT combo would be sweet.

I think that settles it, then; I was leaning towards the TT combo for a lot of reasons. I'll pop up to GC and play one of theirs before I make my final decision, but I won't be getting a new amp for a couple of months at least, yet.

BTW-TS, have you been to any local blues jams?

Yeah, I go to see the open band on Fridays at Woodham's sometimes, and a friend took me to JJ's Blues once. But blues isn't my forte and I'm terrible at improv, so I just listen.
I am wondering why the dual terror hasn't come up. The first channel is identical to the TT and the additional channel (fat channel).

I own the dual. The fat channel is where my switch is at most of the time. They are foot switchable and not that it necessary, it is 30 watts if that of consideration. you can switch it to 30, 15, or 7 watts.

I have had mine for quite a while and it gets lots of time, i am really impressed with it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
The rv 50 is amazing. It sounds good enough at lower volumes, but i could even manage to cut through a viper with emg,s tru a marshall jcm2000.. On th clean channel! Though it just managed to stay out of breakup. I mostly use the drive channel and gain at 6 is enough even for stoner metal sounds.

It does not have that typical saturated grainy moderm metal sound, but that,s purely an eq issue, gain is monstrueus. I play through it with an ibanez with high output pup bridge and medium output neck pup.

But I think even a strat could get enough gain for metal, but would stild be voiced like an QOTSA kind of rock und.

No mid knob for clean channel, but u just bring it up to volume for pseudo presence and then eq the trble and bass knob

The reverb channel is alright. Gets too big too fast for distorted imo, but on clean maxed out u can easily get that typical post rock clean sound with a big ambient reverb tail. Played through it tru a split nck/split bridge pickup.

One more thing from 7-9 gain it compresses and the lo mids come out quite stronger.

That's basically what i experienced on the rv50 . The tt I played, but not enough, and not with repeated live experience as with an rv50 . It owns in band situations even unmiced. Clean channel on 4 - 5 is enough to drown out all talk in a room (for the lack of a better measurement lol).

Hope u get a Nice amp man!i

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by CarsonStevens
Mostly because I'm only looking to purchase a combo right now.

missed that.

go for the rockerverb 50/100. i almost bought one but i got too good of a deal to pass up on something else that i didn't have the money for both.

i have played the 50 and 100 a/b into identical orange PPC4x12"s for about an hour when i was looking for one. i liked the 50 better, had a little more edge to it and seemed less muddy.

however with the tiny terror, at 7 watts in a larger room dimed once you get the tubes cookin' and is pretty sexy. and it was extremely loud. way louder than anybody would ever need in the bedroom.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by CarsonStevens

Yeah, I go to see the open band on Fridays at Woodham's sometimes, and a friend took me to JJ's Blues once. But blues isn't my forte and I'm terrible at improv, so I just listen.

I work at the Benz dealer across the street from Woodham's. Too bad you say you're bad at improv. Dang. I played metal for years, but blues lets you play random stuff with all sorts of people. Whenever I play blues, I seldom know the songs, & simply wing it. That's what I love about it...you don't need to learn a bunch of stuff note for note
Hit me up if you ever decide to go to some jams.
Randy (riffhog)
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by diabolical
I'd get the TT but if you are going to cough up the $$$ for the more expensive Orange you might as well look into Marshalls at that point as well.

Eh? Expensive chalk isn't the same as expensive cheese.

TS, I've tried the TT and the rocker and I know the RVs and TH30 a little, and as has been said they're all pretty different amps. All good, but all different. You need to line them up, play them one after the other and see which offers the sound you want, and take into account there's a big variation in versatility between them (tone knob vs proper EQ, 1 vs 2 channels, 15/30/50/100 watts etc) which is a deal breaker for some people.
Quote by ProgFolk12
Eh? Expensive chalk isn't the same as expensive cheese.

TS, I've tried the TT and the rocker and I know the RVs and TH30 a little, and as has been said they're all pretty different amps. All good, but all different. You need to line them up, play them one after the other and see which offers the sound you want, and take into account there's a big variation in versatility between them (tone knob vs proper EQ, 1 vs 2 channels, 15/30/50/100 watts etc) which is a deal breaker for some people.

I did that yesterday, at least with regards to the TT and the TH. EQ isn't a dealbreaker; I'm okay with just a single tone knob because I'm not very good at dialing in complex sounds anyway, and I have a sh*t-ton of pedals (it's an addiction, plus you kinda need 'em with a Valve Jr.) so any extra EQing I need can come from there. Plus, some folks have already said the TT performs well at small gigs, which is probably all I'll ever do, if that. It's primarily going to be a bedroom recording amp.

One thing I'd like to hear from folks in the know, purely for curiosity's sake, is just how much of a better amp the TT is compared to my Vjr. Obviously, the gain/tone controls, added/variable wattage, and groovy orange cover all contribute to the price being triple what I paid for the Junior, but what else is there? I'm talking things like better tubes/cab/speaker construction (my Junior's the half-stack model) that a n00b like me wouldn't have any idea about.

Beyond that, I think I've pretty much settled on the TT 1x12 combo. GC's having a sale this weekend, and unfortunately, the Humbucker site and GC's onsite retail prices are exactly the same. After shipping, etc. there's no real reason for me to go mail-order when I can use a $150-off coupon and get local service/support.

I love Orange, don't get me wrong, but when you're tracking I can rarely fit more than one rhythm track through that amp.

Can you clarify what you mean by that? I do double-track...
Carson, I own the TT and it is a great amp. The materials are better for sure, plus you get a Celestion cab in the combo, the amp is very responsive and can handle pretty much any style even with the few tone controls at hand. I do play jam sessions with it and a Boss GT-10 and then I just dial it as a clean tone. I did also a few orchestra gigs (big band situation) where with two overdrives stacked in front and a chorus and delay pedal handled 60s surf/rock repertoire well.

As far as stacking goes - I do have this problem with the Tiny Terror where you put one distorted on a recording you can't put in a second one, it takes too much space in the low midrange. I have the same issue with my H&K Tubeman as well. At the same time other amps like Marshall JCM900 and 800 you can stack all day long, same thing for Peavey JSX or 5150. I guess if you slap an eq in front that might probably change or eq in post but I usually just dial in and record another amp on my recordings, JCM900 with overdrive as of late for the high gain stuff.
Okay, so I got myself a TT combo this afternoon. W00! Lovin' it.

However, I have a question for diabolical (or anyone else) regarding gain stacking, since you brought it up.

I have a *lot* of overdrive and distortion pedals, because like I said before, my Valve Junior is solely a clean amp. Thing is, now that I have an actual gain knob to play with, I'm having a hard time figuring out how to dial in a good balance of original gain, volume, and input from the pedals. Currently, I'm messing with amp gain at around 4 and master volume at 3ish, then adjusting the level/etc. from the pedals, but I'm wondering if there's a better way to do it... especially if I wanted to record this way. Is gain stacking just a bad idea if you expect to keep the amp fairly quiet?

...and yes, I realize that it's "better" to just go with the amp's gain. I love the way it sounds, but I'd still like to be able to experiment with fuzz or to use my amp modeling pedals.
Last edited by CarsonStevens at Jun 13, 2013,
I usually open up the throttle to about 5-7 on master volume and dial the gain clean. I dial the eq at 3 o'clock. Dial in a bit of crunch on an overdrive pedal and use volume to your taste (some people like to add more volume to goose the front end of the tubes). The start bringing in the TT gain into play.

If you're using distortion g oamp settings clean and then dial in as much distortion as you want. Sometimes getting a little gain on the TT also adds extra harmonics which could be cool, depending on the distortion.

I usually do these things on the 15 watt setting as it opens the amp up more.
Put the level max, gain 0-2 and tone to taste . This is using the OD as a boost and it works better than trying to add gain on top of the amps gain. I sometimes use 2 OD pedals this way together to great effect.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I also did two overdrive stacking on this one for an orchestra gig, one was my "crunch" rock sound with the TT set on clean and two overdrives in front, the second one working as a clean boost and some extra gain for leads.
Quote by diabolical
I also did two overdrive stacking on this one for an orchestra gig, one was my "crunch" rock sound with the TT set on clean and two overdrives in front, the second one working as a clean boost and some extra gain for leads.

No I'm talking using both OD's as clean boosts on a dirty channel. This helps the amp "fill out" the sound better adding a bit of compression, tightening the bass up and adding a little grit. On my JCM2000 I set the gain about 6-7 and use the OD's for boosting the signal.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by SupahStrat
Alright! Here's my TH30 thread. I see you've settled for the TT, but you can always return that https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604723

IMO, it sounds perfect for you, if you ever gig, flick it to 30 watts, and keep it at 7.5W at home! Sounds amazing on both channels.

Weird. I could be wrong, but the combo I tried out didn't seem to have a 7.5-watt setting.

Anyway, I think if it ever gets to the point where I'm gigging, I'll just buy one straight out. Orange deserves ALL THE MONEY.
Congrats on the new amp!!
One thing I love about the TT is that you don't need an extra preamp or distortion pedal with it. I refuse to use any amp that needs a pedal for distortion/gain. I like a little pedal action occasionally like anyone else, but usually just guitar->cable->amp. That's what makes that TT combo so great IMO...you can do it simple & get great tone.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard

Quote by diabolical
I find the TT to be lacking in gain by just a little bit on everything but my X2N equipped guitar and my Jackson with active pickups. I just got an used Guv'nor OD pedal that does it just right.

For what its worth I don't think they were built for lots of gain.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!