I'm getting a Squier Fretless Vintage Modified J-Bass, so I can switch and getting into some more interesting bass playing. I want you get your opinion on the following question: As far as tone, what is the difference between fretless and fretted? Which one is warmer, brighter, darker, etc.? Help me out UG.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Since when do we do deep and meaningful? You can't just switch between random quirky fun and deep and heartfelt shit, we aren't the Breakfast Club, man.

Quote by CL/\SH
Although, my approval doesn't mean shit

RUSH IS VARIETY!
Fretless guitars generally sound warmer.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
There is no inherent difference other than that you're not going to get a metallic clank by hitting the frets whilst playing a fretless if you dig in. Fretless is often described as sounding darker, but that isn't the case, rather there's a tendency towards flatwound strings because they're more friendly to fretless boards. If you use roundwounds on a fretless it's no warmer than a fretted bass. The "mwah" sound you can get on a fretless is something you obviously won't get on a fretted bass.
Spare a Cow
Eat a Vegan
The metallic clank is what makes a fretted bass have a brighter attack, giving a perceived brighter sound.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend