Any other guitarists, living or otherwise, out there that you admire that have expanded guitar vocabulary or have unique styles that are not as frequently mentioned as some that we constantly hear about like Vai, Hendrix, Clapton, SRV? Any genre is okay but it would be good to note how they are unique to that genre/subgenre. Here we can see some examples of how you can have a unique sound by not learning new scales. The unique sound can be more attributed to phrasing, timing, rhythms chord voicings and targeting chord tones. Mention any songs/albums/examples that they play.

Here's a few of mine:
Tom Verlaine from Television, check out the songs Venus or Marquee Moon to get a taste of a clever use of triads and chord voicings, and his unusual phrasing in his solos.

John McGeoch from Magazine has some strange yet cool sounding riffs and solos in songs like Motorcade and Shot by Both Sides.
the boys from CHON, marc okubo, mark holcomb really have my attention lately. it's economical and versatile and allows the other instruments within the context to perform without being restricted to their traditional roles
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Billy Duffy. A lot of what he does sounds remarkably simple, but there's usually a lot more going on than just the basic notes. I also like the way he can take a fairly simple lead lick and create a whole song around it - he can do more with a couple of notes than most guys can do with their entire fretboard!
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
Billy Duffy. A lot of what he does sounds remarkably simple, but there's usually a lot more going on than just the basic notes. I also like the way he can take a fairly simple lead lick and create a whole song around it - he can do more with a couple of notes than most guys can do with their entire fretboard!

Interestingly enough he taught another favorite Johnny Marr
Quote by sweetdude3000
Interestingly enough he taught another favorite Johnny Marr

Yep - and it's because of that I always find it kind of odd that Marr often gets mentioned more than Duffy in these kind of threads. Only kind of odd though, not completely odd because Marr did go on to create his own style.

Even so, I guess it's just proof of how underrated Billy Duffy is...
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Mike Oldfield. Not primarily recognized as a guitarist, but that's only because he's such an amazing composer. What's different about him?

1) Unique right hand style.
2) Distinctive vibrato. Very fast, precise execution.
3) Great tension in solos. Sometimes based on many repetitions of short motifs differing in phrasing.
Also, Steve Morse crossed my mind. But I reckon he's too "obvious" for this thread. Still, his chromatic runs are quite unique.
Quote by SandalledSteve
Also, Steve Morse crossed my mind. But I reckon he's too "obvious" for this thread. Still, his chromatic runs are quite unique.

Not at all. Sadly I know who he is but I am glad you mentioned because I haven't listened to much of his stuff at all
Quote by sweetdude3000
Not at all. Sadly I know who he is but I am glad you mentioned because I haven't listened to much of his stuff at all

In that case, I recommend Wolf Song from his solo album Southern Steel. Especially the solo in the middle. You may also want to pay attention to his vibrato on bends, I think it's extraordinary. And kind of distinctive as well. Can't figure out why exactly, though...
I don't know if his style is unique (It's unique to me at least) but Takayoshi Ohmura is one of my favourite guitarists, his playing is VERY precise. His song 'The Cataclysm' really blows my mind every time I hear and play it

Other mentions are Guthrie Govan (Mostly Jazz-Fusion)
Song Recommendation - Waves.

Bumblefoot (Basically, a mix of every style... really it's his tapping lines that are truly insane. Truly. Insane.)
Song Recommendation - Chopin Fantasie Impromptu