https://soundcloud.com/castamere/ddriskill-fedforkusrdx

Rough mix of a work in progress song I'm writing. I'm mainly concerned with comments about the guitar work and overall structure. Still have a TON to learn about mixing and mastering.
The solo at 2:35 is still really rough, I'm mainly a rhythm player and this is all my first real adventure into lead playing.

I know the bass is almost non-existant and the drums need a lot of work. Both are just MIDI from Guitar Pro 6 RSE so there is zero EQ/mixing on them. I'm not much of a drummer and I'm still learning to get superior drummer up and running.

Questions, comments, criticism are all welcomed and of course, C4C!
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
Just finished it up: here are my thoughts:
I feel like I've heard it before. I assume it's because I'm a novice for the genre, but I didn't notice anything extremely groundbreaking. As primarily a rhythm player, I'm impressed with your lead ability, and I think from years of thinking of yourself as a rhythm player, your right hand has gotten better than your left. That'll solve itself in time. As for overall structure, I'm missing the section that is unlike the others. If your song is going to be great, we need another part that takes us away from the intro and then slides into the ending. Around 3:27 there is a moment that feels like the song is going to change, then doesn't. If I wrote this song, I'd be inclines to have a meter change there. With very little tweaking of that part, you can swing into 7/4 for a bit before the outro. My cans are open ear, so I could hear the bass, and I like the part, just can't feel it. Drums are okay for midi.

Here's mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31558433#post31558433
Well first off, you're a good rhythm guitarist. Compositionally you have some good melodic ideas. I think you could work on adding more dynamic changes across the song. At the riff level the rhythms are interesting.

Do you plan vocals for the piece? Don't know if you have difficulty with singing but if so I can sympathise.

I liked the outro the best (apart from the fade at the very end).

Guitar Pro bass & drums are what I use so that didn't bother me too much!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31536160#post31536160
Quote by AloneInMyPlace
Just finished it up: here are my thoughts:
I feel like I've heard it before. I assume it's because I'm a novice for the genre, but I didn't notice anything extremely groundbreaking. As primarily a rhythm player, I'm impressed with your lead ability, and I think from years of thinking of yourself as a rhythm player, your right hand has gotten better than your left. That'll solve itself in time. As for overall structure, I'm missing the section that is unlike the others. If your song is going to be great, we need another part that takes us away from the intro and then slides into the ending. Around 3:27 there is a moment that feels like the song is going to change, then doesn't. If I wrote this song, I'd be inclines to have a meter change there. With very little tweaking of that part, you can swing into 7/4 for a bit before the outro. My cans are open ear, so I could hear the bass, and I like the part, just can't feel it. Drums are okay for midi.

Here's mine
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31558433#post31558433

Thanks for your thoughts! I can see exactly what you mean about the whole thing being kind of homogeneous and lacking some variation, especially when it comes to the 3:27 mark. I'll have to try switching it up more and I like the idea of swinging into 7/4, thank you for the idea
I downloaded a .exe once, opened it, and it pretty much nailed my computer, and yes, by nailed I mean, got it's **** out and shoved it in my computers ass.
Quote by Jehannum
Well first off, you're a good rhythm guitarist. Compositionally you have some good melodic ideas. I think you could work on adding more dynamic changes across the song. At the riff level the rhythms are interesting.

Do you plan vocals for the piece? Don't know if you have difficulty with singing but if so I can sympathise.

I liked the outro the best (apart from the fade at the very end).

Guitar Pro bass & drums are what I use so that didn't bother me too much!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31536160#post31536160

Thanks man, it seems that being more dynamic is the main issue I need to work with and I can definitely agree with that.

Vocals are planned, I've got a few guys that like to kick around lyrics and I'm working on getting a band together. So far I'm just throwing down my ideas and demoing some scratch tracks to get everything structured out. That way we have a good foundation and can go back and make changes with more creative input when the time comes.
Production: Great guitar tone, a bit too muddy at the intro, it all blends together very...murkily, but I have a hunch that was deliberate. You've gotta turn those drums up a bit, the snare is non-existant. The bass drum could go up a few hairs, nothing too dramatic. Fortunately they're all present enough for the ideas to come through well. So basically you've got a great guitar tone, just make the drums more present.

As for the song itself, it really needs vocals. The guitar work is rather simplistic but still interesting, it needs vocals to take it to the next level though. I get a strong Safety Fire vibe from some of the riffs, pretty cool!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604927
Music must be honest to be timeless.
Quote by boratian
Production: Great guitar tone, a bit too muddy at the intro, it all blends together very...murkily, but I have a hunch that was deliberate. You've gotta turn those drums up a bit, the snare is non-existant. The bass drum could go up a few hairs, nothing too dramatic. Fortunately they're all present enough for the ideas to come through well. So basically you've got a great guitar tone, just make the drums more present.

As for the song itself, it really needs vocals. The guitar work is rather simplistic but still interesting, it needs vocals to take it to the next level though. I get a strong Safety Fire vibe from some of the riffs, pretty cool!

C4C? https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1604927

Thanks for the comment! I agree the intro is somewhat muddy, probably due to the small backing synths blending everything in with the tapping a bit too much.

The drums are definitely the biggest problem. Unfortunately due to the nature of guitar pro RSE, I don't believe I can turn up specific pieces of the kit like the snare and kick. This should be easily solved with new drum tracks soon via Superior 2.0, thank science!
The track is written with vocals in mind, so far it's just a scratch demo to get the ideas down. I used to over-complicate my tracks and try to make them more interesting without vocals but it ended up just being a disaster. A friend of mine has written up some pretty awesome lyrics and hopefully soon I'll be able to do a re-track and throw down some good vocals.

Thanks again for the words, checking out your track now!
eth,
I like the intro, not even sure if it is synth or guitar, though I'm guessing it is guitar. The playing is tight. Drums aren't bad, though Superior should be an improvement. Nice guitar playing & riffs! Would be interesting to see how the vocals would fit in. The ending is abrupt. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605464
Really like the fade-in and build up intro. Sounds like it's a pretty rough mix, lots of high end in the guitars, sounds kind of dry. Love the riffs and the leads. Very well played. Kind of reminds me of Trivium's instrumental titled "The Crusade". Are there going to be vocals added to this later? Really dig your style. Thoroughly enjoyed listening. Thank you and well done.
Creating a good intro can really hook the listener, and you did just that. I really enjoyed this one. Mix doesn't really bother me as I know its still a work in progress. The guitar tones to me sound really cool and thrashy. I hope you do create more like this! Adding vocals is hard (for me too) so don't worry about that unless you really want to. great job

C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605492
Quote by aaron aardvark
eth,
I like the intro, not even sure if it is synth or guitar, though I'm guessing it is guitar. The playing is tight. Drums aren't bad, though Superior should be an improvement. Nice guitar playing & riffs! Would be interesting to see how the vocals would fit in. The ending is abrupt. Please review my music at this link:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605464

Thanks! The intro is just two hand tapping on guitar with some backing synths to fill it out a bit. I'm not sure if I want to have the ending section just fade out or have it end differently yet. Checking out your track now!

Quote by doofus41
Really like the fade-in and build up intro. Sounds like it's a pretty rough mix, lots of high end in the guitars, sounds kind of dry. Love the riffs and the leads. Very well played. Kind of reminds me of Trivium's instrumental titled "The Crusade". Are there going to be vocals added to this later? Really dig your style. Thoroughly enjoyed listening. Thank you and well done.

Thanks for the comment, giving that Trivium vibe is an honor haha, I used to listen to them a lot a few years ago and they were a big inspiration when I was first learning to play.
Vocals are definitely going to be added once I get everything re-worked and more polished. A friend of mine has lyrics written and whenever we can get around to it, the final track should have some awesome vocals thrown on it!

Quote by Metal Turtle
Creating a good intro can really hook the listener, and you did just that. I really enjoyed this one. Mix doesn't really bother me as I know its still a work in progress. The guitar tones to me sound really cool and thrashy. I hope you do create more like this! Adding vocals is hard (for me too) so don't worry about that unless you really want to. great job

C4C https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1605492

Thanks for the comments, the intro was really the section that had me the most nervous. I've been pretty unsure if it would have the ability to hook the listener into the rest of the song. I'm glad it worked out though I have a lot more material I'm demoing and trying to get recorded so be on the lookout!