So, I was considering purchasing a Vyper 60 a while back, but ended up not making the purchase because of concerns with the tone. Now, I'm considering purchasing one again, but I'm torn between a Blackstar HT-5 or the Vyper 60. I was wondering if you guys had opinions on which amp has better tone in both the clean and distorted channels. I'm aware that the HT-5 has 5 watts as opposed to the Peavey's 60 watts, but I was thinking that if I was ever in a band setting, I could mic it. I'm not very good at this whole gear thing, some help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Er, yeah, very different amps.

Try posting in the correct forum - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33

And answer these questions:

Budget? - What is practical for you and what is your limit?

Genres? - What style do you play mostly, fav guitarists, do you need cleans, etc?

New or Used? - Lots of great amps out there used, especially in a down economy.

Home or Gig? - Also important. Maybe you do both. Jamming with a drummer can be considered 'gigging' but you won't have a PA etc.

Closest City? - We aren't here to stalk you but we need to know where you are in the world roughly and we can help further if we know what city you are in (ie craigslist, local shops, Guitar Center used section, etc)

Current Gear? - Also good for us to know.
Quote by Canada Square
So, I was considering purchasing a Vyper 60 a while back, but ended up not making the purchase because of concerns with the tone. Now, I'm considering purchasing one again, but I'm torn between a Blackstar HT-5 or the Vyper 60. I was wondering if you guys had opinions on which amp has better tone in both the clean and distorted channels. I'm aware that the HT-5 has 5 watts as opposed to the Peavey's 60 watts, but I was thinking that if I was ever in a band setting, I could mic it. I'm not very good at this whole gear thing, some help would be appreciated. Thanks.

The HT-5 could probably keep up with the Vypyr easily in terms of volume.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I currently own a Vypyr 60 w/ Sanpera II foot controller & am actually selling it in favor of a Blackstar HT Club 40... Compared to an HT 5 however, the Vypyr 60 would ANNIHILATE that thing as far as tone, volume, versatility, etc, unless of course low wattage classic rock, blues, power tube saturation is what ur after... BUT, these Vypyrs run on some extremely GLITCHY software & are known for constantly locking up when changing patches on the foot controller & things like that, which is why I'm going for the Blackstar... The HT 40 is a str8 forward, no frills amp that will keep up with the Vypyr any day of the week & has AMAZING tone, the best in the entire HT lineup, IMO... So, GET a Vypyr 60 if u want all the amp models, fx, etc & u don't mind the extremely glitchy foot control issues... If u don't need the fx, etc, I say DON'T GET a Vypyr 60 & swing for an HT 40 instead of the HT 5.
Quote by BladeSlinger
The HT-5 could probably keep up with the Vypyr easily in terms of volume.

Nope.

Vypyr will be a bit over twice as loud, assuming similar speakers.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Never used the vypyr but I have a blackstar ht-5 and I think it's great. I play parkway drive, August burns red etc and suits me perfectly.

Don't be put off by the 5 watts either. At home I never get above 1 or 2 and the mrs is complaining. It is a lot louder than you think. I think you could easily get away with small gigs using it, although I've never tried.

The emulated output is also a feature I like and use heavily when recording, especially the 4x12.

After buying one my mate went straight out and got one too... Great amps, don't be out off by the 5 watts, find one local and give it a go.
Ibanez RGA121H Prestige
Ibanez FR2620 Prestige
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Tanglewood TSE 501 GC
Fender FC30 Classic
I want to hear rhe glitchy software they use. I haven't heard of the glitches much.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Arby911
Nope.

Vypyr will be a bit over twice as loud, assuming similar speakers.

But turning it up a lot won't sound as good, right? I'm assuming modeler amps are similar to SS.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Canada Square

What does our opinion about tone matter to you? Only your opinion counts. Personally I've tried both amps and liked neither of them. Does that help? No, I thought not.

The only way you can decide which is right for you is to get out there and try them both, while you're there try everything else you can afford as well.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Jun 25, 2013,
Owned an HT-5 and loved it, gigged it all over the place. 5 Watts of tube volume is LOUD, i tended to find that any venue that was too big for the little blackstar to fill was running the cab's mic'd up anyway. And sound guys love low wattage amps.
Quote by BladeSlinger
But turning it up a lot won't sound as good, right? I'm assuming modeler amps are similar to SS.

Vypyr 60 has a full tube power end (6505+) and it excels at high volumes.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911

+1.

I would still love to hear of the software issues. I am pretty much here every day for a few minutes and haven't seen a vypyr glitch.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Arby911

Ah. I thought there would be a Vyper 60 and a Vyper 60 tube. Never mind then.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by trashedlostfdup
+1.

I would still love to hear of the software issues. I am pretty much here every day for a few minutes and haven't seen a vypyr glitch.

I've had "glitches" on my 75, and my 120H. Neither case was a lasting issue whatsoever, which is why there probably aren't any threads about it. In both cases, they worked perfectly fine again after being shut off for a few hours. I think it's related to overheating, I suspect that when they get too hot they can freak out.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Before purchasing my Blackstar HT Club 40, I owned a Vypyr 30, Vypyr Tube 60, Vypyr Tube 120 & a Sanpera II Foot Controller. The GLITCHY issues really only come into play when using the foot controller. I never used it much with the Vypyr 30, but with the Vypyr Tube 60 & Vypyr Tube 120, I had CONSTANT issues with the amp freezing up & going completely silent and/or going into some very crappy low gain sound & being unable to switch back out of it. These issues mostly occurred when switching between patches or using the looper. The only way to "unfreeze" the amp was to shut it all the way off & completely restart it again (reboot the software). Although these amps SOUNDED great, the software issues rendered them virtually USELESS to me in a live band/performance situation. Imagine you're playing a show & you're just about to rip into a killer solo, but instead your amp just goes totally silent & locks up, leaving you standing there looking like a total buffoon... Definitely NOT a crowd pleasing experience. Thankfully, I was smart enough not to even attempt using a Vypyr live after they locked up on me nearly 1/2 the time I used them at home just noodling around. I just got rid of them all, bought the Blackstar & couldn't be happier... In Peavey's defense, they DID have software updates available on their website, which were supposed to fix these issues, but it requires a special cable that connects your PC to the footswitch jack on the back of the amp in order to do it. I never felt like purchasing this "elusive" cable or running a risk of screwing my amps up, so I never tried it, but that MIGHT fix the problem...
I would take a Vypyr tube 60 over any blackstar Ht amp. The Ht series is mediocre at best, the Vypyr tube sounds pretty good.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate