I remember when I got my electric at first, it made really bad metallic noises. Does this go over time? I changed the strings today and there is that sound again. It wasn't there on my worn out strings (VERY worn out if I may say so, not restrung for like 6 months of hardcore playing). But I kinda liked the sound of those old strings after they've been played for so long.

And I'm getting this sound on my newly bought acoustic too.

Will this go over time?

P.S. I'm not talking about a rattling noise, so please no answers about heightening my action or readjusting the frets etc.
You will need to be a bit more specific about just what sort of "metallic" sound you are getting. Is it the sound of the strings whacking against the frets when you fret a note? That is called "fret slap" among bassists and it is as annoying as hell, but it does not go through the amplifier so bassists have learned to live with it. If your guitar has a tune-o-matic bridge, sometimes one or more of the saddles becomes loose and creates a metallic sound due to string vibration.

Help us narrow it down, and we can be of more assistance to you.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
I think you might like half wound strings or something. They're more mellow.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
I guess it is the slap sound, but not just that...

When I dont get the slap sound, it just basically sounds really... metallic. It is some fret buzz (but very little) when playing on low frets (like up to the 7th fret or something). It doesn't get amplified, but with my old strings I played quite a lot on my electric unamplified and it had a different tone.

I'm only really getting the slap sound on my bottom E. My new strings are Bright round wound D'addario's, gauge .011-.049. Feel exactly the same as my old ones in terms of thickness... other than that, I can't really tell, as my old strings were so badly worn out.. But I kinda liked playing with them, they didnt go out of tune badly and held notes just fine, and definitely had a different sound. Again, I can't tell you what my old strings were... should really keep tabs on these things.
Quote by ExDementia
Can you record what it is you're talking about? New strings tend to sound very bright and metallic, i guess.

^ this
I think it's just the new string sound. Very bright sound where you're used to dark
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by marshismellow
^ this

That was my first thought too. New strings sound extremely bright if you're used to playing old beat-to-shit strings. I actually just got new strings today for one of my guitars that hasn't been changed in over 2 years. Extreme, I know. But that intial overly bright sound goes away pretty quickly.
It's the new string "twang". New strings always sound bright and metallic (and I like the sound). I'm not sure but maybe you could try flatwounds - I have no idea how they sound on guitar but they might not sound as metallic. Maybe try pure nickel strings? Again, I have no idea about how they sound compared to the regular strings but I have heard they sound warmer.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
I LOVE THAT SOUND! I wish they would be like that all the time. It its because they are new, this tone will disappear after using them a while.
Quote by James Hetfield
Justice is lost, Justice is raped, Justice is GONE.

http://www.youtube.com/intwernet
Guitar and acoustic bass covers with creative editing
It's the sweet sound of your strings no longer sucking.
^^

I will give it a couple of days, that should be enough... Hardcore playing time!
It won't sound so twangy after a little playing. I like the sound of new strings, they sound crisp and chimey.