Hey guys just wondering what the difference is between the two thanks!
depends on what amps you're looking at

if you're looking at tube amps then the overdrive on the overdrive channel will be preamp-tube derived (assuming you're not looking at one of those bullshit hybrids masquerading as all-tube ) and normally will sound way better than a pedal (depending on what type of tone you're after and what pedal and amp you're looking at).

if you're looking at solid state amps, not a lot. obviously the circuit design will likely be different so they might not sound anywhere near the same, but the general design principles will normally be similar.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
dave is pretty much sums it up. now it will depend a whole lot of the quality of the amp and the overdrive as to how much of a difference you will notice. a high quality overdrive into a decent amp on the clean setting may sound way better than an average amp by itself. also depends on what kind of overdriven sound you seek. for instance many tube fender amps only yield a small amount of overdrive (unless wooded) which may appeal to country or blues players. on the other hand something like a marshall may have a more distorted overdrive sound. with quality gear you can get both either from either method.