Hi there, I am looking to upgrade my stock pickups in my Ibanez S570B to something a bit more chunk and response. My guitar has a Mahogany body and 3 piece Maple neck, but due to the body being thinner than other mahogany based guitars i need a bridge and neck pickup that can compete with a live band.

The style I play is Metalcore and my sound influences range around Trivium to Killswitch Engage. I'm running this guitar into a Peavey 6505+ with Mesa 4x12 cab if it helps.

Hope you's can help me out here.

Thanks!

P.s. To add I drop tune my instrument to Drop C#
Last edited by james.fusco at Jun 11, 2013,
Given the sound you describe I'm tempted to just say a set of EMG's, specifically the 81/89. The X series is even better
Actives would be a great way to go. Are EMG's good in a mahogany body? In my other guitar ( Ibanez RG7321) I've got some Blackouts loaded and it just sounds amazing.
Definitely EMG 81 for the bridge, 60 or 60X or 85X in the neck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
EMG's are a different flavour to blackouts, both are basically aimed at high gain metal (or at least the EMG's everyone knows about are).
I've heard it said that EMGs are good for mahogany body guitars. That's the set-up in one of mine, sounds great. But most people say EMGs sound pretty much the same in any guitar. If you've got the cash look into Bareknucles, they're all the rage right now.
Worry about what the pickups sound like, not how your guitar will affect your sound. Guitars themselves don't alter tone in any way so consequential that an EQ pedal can't sort it out.

The construction and parts in a guitar have a lot more effect on the slightly more intangible aspects... things like resonance and sustain.

Scale length and where the pickups are mounted in relation to the scale does make a notable difference though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 11, 2013,
I see your points, so if I were to put a set of EMG's or Blackouts into my guitar. Will the 9v battery preamp be able to be accommodated in a thin guitar such as mine?
Just for the sake of not going the way everyone else does, you might want to try an EMG 85X in the bridge. I've done it and 'twas nothing short of awesome.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
^That may be true, but it's best to match your pick-ups to the wood of the guitar. For instance, you might like the sound of burstbuckers, but you probably wouldn't want to put them in alder guitar.
Would you be willing to take the pespi challenge on that?

Guitar woods make a much smaller differences than people think. Look up the pallet guitar that Taylor made a while back.
I've built plenty of all mahogany guitars and it certainly affects the tone. I never liked the tone of passive pickups in an all mahogany guitar. SG's and Les Pauls with no maple caps always lacked clarity, attack, and definition to me. EMG's will make pretty much any guitar sound the same since the tone is coming from the preamp a whole lot more than the guitar itself. I would go for any active pickups in your case, but if active isn't your thing, then I don't know of any passive pickups that would counter balance the mahogany enough to help.
Gear:
-Mesa Dual Rectifier (3 Channel) with KT88 and KT66 Tubes
-Peavey 6505+
-Roland JC120
-Ibanez Tone Blaster TBX150H
-Mesa 4x12 Straight Cab
-Marshall 1960BV
-Gibson Les Paul Custom
-Gibson Flying V
-Line 6 M13
Didn't Trivium used to play EMGs into a Peavey?

At any rate, seems like most folks here have already said what I would recommend.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by JustRooster
Didn't Trivium used to play EMGs into a Peavey?

At any rate, seems like most folks here have already said what I would recommend.

Both Trivium & KSE used(d) EMGs (mostly 81/85 I think). Trivium have used 5150s since... ever. And still do. I pretty much nailed their tone with my old 5150 & TS7 & EQ.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
X2N in the neck and you'd be ready to take it out for a spin. I wouldn't bother changing the neck pickup on this one but if you are - PAF Joe would sound good. That's what I did on my Ibanez. Duncan Distortion (bridge) and JB (neck) also work good.