Hi everyone , i'm planning to build my own electric guitar , with one single humbucker in the bridge and one volume knob . So , what's the difference beetween a hardtail bridge and a Wrap-Around one (like in the Les Paul Junior) ? I heard the Wrap-Around is bad about the intonation thing , but it gives me more sustain . I also find the Wrap-Around tones too sharp , too pitchy , or is that just my impression ? Any opinions ? I play alternative rock and grunge .

Since they are both chinese stuff , which are the only one i can afford , i thought maybe the wrap-around is gonna be more efficient because its simpler . These are the two bridges :

Ps. DONT suggest me a Tune-o-Matic Bridge !
I'd rather sacrifice sustain for adjustability even if it was true that you get more sustain with a wraparound.
Quote by Grungy01

Ps. DONT suggest me a Tune-o-Matic Bridge !

Why not? They're better than either of those bridges.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 12, 2013,
Wraparound bridge has less loose parts and more contact with the guitar base. It makes for more vibration transfer from the strings and thus has more sustain.

I would prefer wraparound over fixed tail just because I like it's look more. On the sustain thing I don't think you will notice it much since it's based off so many other factors like guitar mass, scale length, setup quality etc...

If you really want the wrap around but also want some intonation adjustability then take a look at this bridge: http://www.guitarfetish.com/Chrome-Badass-Style-Intonatable-wraparound-bridge_p_153.html#
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Last edited by hminh87 at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE

Why not? They're better than either of those bridges.

I don't like its look , its feel , i don't know , Just dont !

@hmnih87 unfortunately the BadAss style bridge is not an option , it's too damn high
Just because you're paranoid , don't mean they're not after you !
I forgot where I got my replacement adjustable wraparound for my Bich, but it was only like $40 shipped.

Too high???What $$$$? $27.95 Then you shouldnt be building a guitar
What the hell!!!
Last edited by danvwman at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by danvwman
I forgot where I got my replacement adjustable wraparound for my Bich, but it was only like $40 shipped.

Too high???What $$$$? $27.95 Then you shouldnt be building a guitar

Calm down , I mean "high" for "height" ... -_-
You seem to be limiting yourself artificially. The bridge is only as high as you make it. Period. Another thing, a tune-o-matic bridge feels more or less the same as a wrap around when playing, only you can actually adjust the tune-o-matic (hence the name).

What's your budget for a bridge?
Ok , here we go again . This forum sucks , btw . Again , the f*cking question , is :
WRAPAROUND VS HARDTAIL !!!!
Why the f*ck do you care about the details ? I have my personal reasons , maybe just visual , but i DONT want a tuneomatic ! Why don't you just answer my question ? That's the ONLY way you can help me . Thanks !
I went through this when deciding how to build my guitar.

They sell intonatable wraparounds, I know Pigtail and TonePros make one. There has to be cheaper out there somewhere but I was looking at the $75 price range. I personally wouldn't buy a non-intonatable one, especially for my own build where I'm likely to screw up routing the neck pocket and bork intonation by a few cents.

A wraparound bridge sits higher and requires a neck angle for proper string action unless you countersink it. Even when adjusted to minimum height it will still require you to angle the neck pocket or neck heel by ~5deg. I didn't want to deal with countersinking a bridge or making a neck angle on my first build so I decided to go with hardtail, even if I prefered the looks of the wraparound. Since all hardtails are intonatable I had a wide variety to choose from at all price points.

Ultimately it's going to come down to how much work you want to do. There were more things that could go wrong with a wraparound, so I chose hardtail. Building a guitar is expensive and I didn't want to **** it up with the more difficult bridge.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by Grungy01
Ok , here we go again . This forum sucks , btw . Again , the f*cking question , is :
Why the f*ck do you care about the details ? I have my personal reasons , maybe just visual , but i DONT want a tuneomatic ! Why don't you just answer my question ? That's the ONLY way you can help me . Thanks !

If this forum sucks then why are you here in the first place?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Quote by Grungy01
The whole point is that we're trying to help you to get the best performance possible. Any bridge will work, but some have advantages over others. Why do we care about the details? Because the more information we have, the better we can help you.

Wrap around VS Hardtail? Get the hardtail. You don't want to give us details, so I don't feel the need to explain why the hardtail is better.

There are plenty of other forums you can go to, you have many options. Don't like this one? Leave. Easy as that.
Quote by Grungy01

I've already said hardtail because of it's adjustability and because you refuse to use an adjustable wraparound. I'd still use a TOM though. If you don't like our views, then you know where the door is.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I live in Albania man , we have different costs of living , most of people around here don't get it . My salary is 400$/month , I can't let myself buy a 75$ bridge . Would you let yourself buy an 300$ bridge in US ? I bet you won't
Too bad i'm not poor.

And a decent bridge in the US doesn't cost $300.
Quote by TheSennaj
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Too bad i'm not poor.

And a decent bridge in the US doesn't cost $300.

It doesn't but you should imagine it does and than you would see in what kind of situation he is in.
Quote by Grungy01
I live in Albania man , we have different costs of living , most of people around here don't get it . My salary is 400$/month , I can't let myself buy a 75$ bridge . Would you let yourself buy an 300$ bridge in US ? I bet you won't
That's why we asked your budget in the first place. All you need to say is how much you can afford and we will adjust our suggestions to accommodate.

If you just give all relevant information in the first place, we wouldn't have to have these conversations. Help us help you.
Quote by Grungy01

In this case, you would definitely want a hardtail. One tiny mistake when routing the neck pocket or cutting the neck tenon could ruin intonation with a non-adjustable wraparound. At least with a hardtail you could compensate the saddles individually to get somewhere workable.

No part of the guitar matters if you can't get it properly in tune. That's why adjustable saddles matter so much.
Quote by JackovSlayer
It doesn't but you should imagine it does and than you would see in what kind of situation he is in.

Even if ti does cost a lot of money, it is money worth putting into. If he only has $400 a month, how could he have ever gathered the materials to make a guitar in the first place?
Quote by TheSennaj
So i have to go for the hardtail then . I just love the look of that wraparound bridge
Quote by Grungy01
So i have to go for the hardtail then . I just love the look of that wraparound bridge

If you think you can route and angle the neck (or recess the bridge) with absolute precision, then go for the wraparound. I would have. I didn't trust myself to do that so I went with hardtail.
Quote by Grungy01

Quote by Grungy01

You can't afford a $75 bridge, but you're building a guitar? Also, Tune-o-matics are fantastics. This is coming from a guitar tech, too.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Seref
A wraparound bridge sits higher and requires a neck angle for proper string action unless you countersink it. Even when adjusted to minimum height it will still require you to angle the neck pocket or neck heel by ~5deg. I didn't want to deal with countersinking a bridge or making a neck angle on my first build so I decided to go with hardtail, even if I prefered the looks of the wraparound. Since all hardtails are intonatable I had a wide variety to choose from at all price points.

I was going to bring that up. The neck angle will change how a guitar feels. That would be my biggest concern. I prefer guitars that are straighter so I would go with a hardtail. But if you prefer more angled guitars, go with the wrap-around.
Hardtail purchased Later i'm gonna open a thread to tell about the progress . Thanks