Hello everyone. I seem to keep coming up with problems lately that I need some help on. Anyways, here's the story:

I shielded my Kramer Focus 3000 and grounded it to the volume pot. I plugged it into my little Line 6 Spider 3 in my room and put it on the "Insane" channel with the cluster**** of gain. Luckily, the single coils and split humbucker didn't make any hum or unnecessary noise. I did however found out exactly how microphonic these pickups are. I could easily talk through the amp with these pickups.

After testing it inside, I decided to go out to my garage and test it on my Marshall Vintage Modern so I can see how well it handles on louder volumes. That's where my problem begins. Every time I pop on my Green Rhino for leads with the Kramer, all I get is a very loud squeal. I believe it might be the pickups since it never did that with my Epiphone LP and I also have a Boss NS-2 in the chain.

So, my question is: Are they pickups the cause of the squealing I'm getting? Or did I screw up soldering the connection and couldn't hear it on my practice amp?

PS: I can try to get a video of the sound, but I'm not really familiar with how the camera works and what not.
Skip the username, call me Billy
It sounds like it could be a lot of things. It might have to do with the power in the garage and/or feedback. Also, the Line 6 has a built in noise gate, so even with lots of gain you have that active and probably don't have the volume up as much as with the other amp.

Also, is the NS-2 before or after the OD pedal? That could make a big difference. Usually it's placed right after the guitar. It might just be a matter of adjusting the settings on the pedals. Try turning your volume pot down when it happens and see if it goes away.
Quote by aerosmithfan95
Line 6 Spider 3

well there's your problem. I have a 120w spider 3 that is currently in the shop getting a new motherboard cause i wasnt smart enough to get a tube amp that i could work on myself.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
^But he said the problem was only when playing it through the Marshall.

doesnt mean a line 6 still isnt a problem
Quote by Leather Sleeves
It sounds like it could be a lot of things. It might have to do with the power in the garage and/or feedback. Also, the Line 6 has a built in noise gate, so even with lots of gain you have that active and probably don't have the volume up as much as with the other amp.

Also, is the NS-2 before or after the OD pedal? That could make a big difference. Usually it's placed right after the guitar. It might just be a matter of adjusting the settings on the pedals. Try turning your volume pot down when it happens and see if it goes away.

I have the NS-2 after my OD and compressor and it's only on this guitar that it gets the squealing. I'll try it with both of my electrics (only got it with the Focus) to see if it persists. I believe the power in the garage may have something to do with it, but I'll fiddle around to make sure.

Quote by Invicto91
doesnt mean a line 6 still isnt a problem

Hey, there's no need to be a dick. Everyone knows they suck. I only used that after a year of playing (2008-2009) then I went to a much better practice amp which still isn't the greatest in the world but it blows the Spider out of the way then I got the Marshall back in September. If you came here to just say "Spiders suck", then you can leave. And who the hell buys the biggest version of it?
See if you can try the amp out somewhere else then, and besides, it's never a bad idea to invest in a power-conditioner even if the garage's power doesn't end up being the issue.

First you should try the NS-2 right after the guitar, once you've got the signal coming from the OD pedal the gate probably isn't doing anything since the signal's being driven and therefore probably exceeding the threshold... at least that's how I understand it. Remember to watch that red light, that tells you if it's surpressing anything.
Are you sure it's not just the hum that comes with single coils? If you also get feedback on the humbuckers maybe the coils aren't aligned correctly and therefore one gives too much pull on the other. Just a guess.
Quote by Leather Sleeves
See if you can try the amp out somewhere else then, and besides, it's never a bad idea to invest in a power-conditioner even if the garage's power doesn't end up being the issue.

First you should try the NS-2 right after the guitar, once you've got the signal coming from the OD pedal the gate probably isn't doing anything since the signal's being driven and therefore probably exceeding the threshold... at least that's how I understand it. Remember to watch that red light, that tells you if it's surpressing anything.

No use the NS-2 at the end of your FX before the input not directly after the guitar.

Come on people its not that hard to give decent advise
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by andersstruve
Are you sure it's not just the hum that comes with single coils? If you also get feedback on the humbuckers maybe the coils aren't aligned correctly and therefore one gives too much pull on the other. Just a guess.

Well I did try it out again and it happens when each of the pickups are on alone. When it's in the 2 and 3 positions, there is no hum. The humbucker does it as well, so I assume that they're just noisy pickups. Oh well, I'll just use it for stuff that doesn't need a lot of gain or solos for now until I am willing to spend money on it.
I'm not really all that knowledgeable about electronics, but I've had a similar problem with one of my old guitars. My first guess would be that it's a problem with the soldered connections between the pickups and the selector. But if this problem only occurred after you shielded the guitar, I think that's where you might want to look.
Honestly the Insane setting on Line 6 I have always found completely useless and one of the worst models on those amps. It is a feedback channel and that's about it.

Does this happen on any other models on your L6?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Honestly the Insane setting on Line 6 I have always found completely useless and one of the worst models on those amps. It is a feedback channel and that's about it.

Does this happen on any other models on your L6?

While he said that he heard how microphonic the pickups were on the Spider, he also said that he gets the squealing noise on his Marshall Vintage Modern.

There's obviously going to be some feedback from a loud amp but the noise gate should be able to take care of at least some of it. I still think that the problem may be the result of poor soldering.
Quote by D2BII
While he said that he heard how microphonic the pickups were on the Spider, he also said that he gets the squealing noise on his Marshall Vintage Modern.

There's obviously going to be some feedback from a loud amp but the noise gate should be able to take care of at least some of it. I still think that the problem may be the result of poor soldering.

I agree, I just like to give every possible way to figure it out by process of elimination
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by D2BII
I'm not really all that knowledgeable about electronics, but I've had a similar problem with one of my old guitars. My first guess would be that it's a problem with the soldered connections between the pickups and the selector. But if this problem only occurred after you shielded the guitar, I think that's where you might want to look.

They were noisy as hell even before the shielding. I thought it would help, but it made it slightly less prevalent (if I'm using the right word).

Quote by D2BII

As I said before, they were microphonic before hand, but I just realized how bad they really are. I believe it might be due to bad soldering, so I'll just have to look at it again and what not.