hi guys!

okay so for many years i've been playing casual acoustic guitar. strumming away to songs with chords here and there and singing along with enjoyment. i've began honing in on my guitar skills getting knowledge of scales and doing improvised solo's (mainly in the blues feel). I mastered songs of eric clapton from us unplugged album (running on faith and of course layla) but now i want a new challenge!

i wanna change styles from acoustic to electric so i can actually join in with people at jam nights on their electric guitars, i have a blue benson guitar not much but it does the job and i love it!

so here's what im writing all this for...

are there any rock songs you can recommend with good solo's for me to learn and help with technique? i've almost mastered dancing in the moonlight by thin lizzy and the speed of the solo is actually helping me improve.

Thanks!
Is it more of a rock & hard blues vibe on jam night? Or do guys hit a variety of genres?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
What about the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy For The Devil" or Dire Straits' "Sultans of Swing"?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Get a teacher. If you've been playing years you should probably know lots of techniques from the songs you've learned, even as an acoustic player.

Otherwise learn theory. Go to www.justinguitar.com and follow the syllabus.

Learn Sweet Child O'Mine, Hotel California, Sweet Home Alabama, Gimme Shelter, All Along the Watchtower. The classic solos.

But don't expect to be able to transpose it successfully to your jam nights without understanding at least the most basic theory. What scale it is, what key, what key signature, how to transpose from one scale to another etc etc.

It'll be fun, it's a journey that gets easier as you learn it. I'd definitely get a teacher to help you on the progress you're making.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

You're going to get a lot less female attention. Until you get good, then you'll get tons from the kind of girls you don't want female attention from.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
"House of the Rising Sun"

"Born Under A Bad Sign"

"Pipeline"- a great surf guitar piece, and chock full of guitar goodness.

"Rumble" another classic instrumental rocker. 100% attitude, even though its simple.

Grant Geissman lays down a killer solo in Chuck Mangione's "Feels So Good"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1A4wBgvPgI&sns=em

Uli Jon Roth shows you how its done in The Scorpions' "Sails of Charon"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXbDOU30fyg&sns=em

Al DiMeola plays the song that made the Devil go down to Georgia...he couldn't take it in Europe after his " Race with the Devil in Spanish Highway"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy4K7lFFZII&sns=em

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 12, 2013,