Hi all,
I was just wondering, I've been wanting to get seriously into guitar theory, starting from the basics and then hopefully building up into more complicated stuff. Is there anywhere on the internet such as websites or videos, or any books that you guys recommend I should check out? Thanks you
1. this belongs in musician talk. Ask a mod to move it for you.
2. Check out www.justinguitar.com and www.musictheory.net
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
music theory is universal. most "guitar theory" involves a slough of buzz words, half-explained or poorly embodied concepts, and a series of priorities that reflect poorly in any serious setting, academic or practical, based more heavily in the perpetuation of the teacher's ability to maintain a steady paycheck or the promotion of that teacher's other ventures.

sean's good people though, if you're interested in his program he's definitely an authority on teaching and theory around here. plus he's texan, which means he's cool

otherwise the musictheory.net and justinguitar plugs are very good, as well as just reading any music theory books you can find, learning to read sheet, developing your ear by learning music sans tabs. a good DVD to check out as well is vic wooten's groove workshop - it's for bass guitar, but it touches heavily on theory in a way that's easy for most musicians to understand and relate to
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
How learning about guitar scales, chords and chord progressions can benefit intermediate and advanced guitar players. Guitar lessons include playing songs with pentatonic and major scale patterns, chord inversions and arpeggio patterns
A great place would be the youtube channel creativeguitarstudio...his name is Andrew Wasson and he is really a great teacher and for free!

Also try musictheory.net , again for free.

If you are COMPLETELY BAFFLED about theory and have literally no clue what anything means you might want to look into Doug Mark's Metal Method theory course. He has a newer version out...but I like the 1992 version better. Try to get the 1992 version and the newer one because they shed new light on things amd go well together. I feel that he does an excellent job at getting someone started because he really starts from the lowest most basic concept of teaching it.

The 1992 version though you may want to contact him and ask if you can purchase just the theory dvd seperately. I think he may just be selling the 1992 version as a bundle for like $50 and you just want the theory for $20....
Creativeguitarstudio is probably one of the best along with the others mentioned.

I would love to see how many guitar teachers introduce concepts such as tonality, intervals, how scales are built, methods to memorize all the notes, why you need to know the notes, how chords are built. Most of them don't because they are scared of boring and confusing the students, even the bright dedicated ones, and they can confuse them to get a steady cash flow. The reason they are dumb is because truth is guitar is a long journey and these building blocks will serve you forever. In algebra, don't you need to learn the fundamentals and why down cold to move up to higher levels of math? Learn concepts and the rote memorization makes more sense because you can actually reason.

But there are a few noble ones that do and are usually overlooked.
Quote by Hail
music theory is universal. most "guitar theory" involves a slough of buzz words, half-explained or poorly embodied concepts, and a series of priorities that reflect poorly in any serious setting, academic or practical, based more heavily in the perpetuation of the teacher's ability to maintain a steady paycheck or the promotion of that teacher's other ventures.

sean's good people though, if you're interested in his program he's definitely an authority on teaching and theory around here. plus he's texan, which means he's cool

otherwise the musictheory.net and justinguitar plugs are very good, as well as just reading any music theory books you can find, learning to read sheet, developing your ear by learning music sans tabs. a good DVD to check out as well is vic wooten's groove workshop - it's for bass guitar, but it touches heavily on theory in a way that's easy for most musicians to understand and relate to

Well stated. Man I miss Dallas, and I miss the Old Monk on Henderson