Ya he's got great chops and everything... but there's something missing.

He sounds so derivative... like every idea he got from someone else. There's very little originality in his playing.

Ya I know everyone gets it from someplace else, but at least with Stevie Ray (who stole so much from Albert King) he had something of himself in there... a better tone, an attack that was all his... something unique.

With Joe Bonamassa it's almost too perfect.

Anyone else feel that way?
No.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Joe Bonamassa is an incredible guitar player but I have to agree that he doesn't make it subtle that he copies everyone.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Maybe as he gets older he'll start putting more of himself into it... but he's in his mid 30's... he better hurray.

As it stands now there's plenty of blues guitarists with less chops I'd rather listen to... anyone want to talk about that?
I think he is a great guitarist. Who's style do you think he copied or takes ideas from, cause I'd like to compare
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by HoneyboyHart
As it stands now there's plenty of blues guitarists with less chops I'd rather listen to... anyone want to talk about that?

I'd rather listen to a bluegrass mandolin player's chops.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I think a lot of his style comes from the British Blues guys like Clapton, Page, Rory Gallagher, ... maybe Peter Green... and then on the fancy side more Eric Johnson... and of course he has some Stevie Ray/Albert King in there too.

I did some research and got a page about him on my website.
Last edited by HoneyboyHart at Jun 12, 2013,
So you're basically trying to advertise your website here?
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'
"It's about tone, taste, and technique. Technique is last for a reason."

That's right from your own sig...

Why the hell would it matter if he is copying peoples techniques because Joe B has amazing tone and taste when it comes down to guitar stuff, anyone who says his tone sucks is ****ing tone deaf and well taste wise the man is on tour right now with 2 1959 bursts and a 1960 burst and a swag load of other vintage guitars probably totaling around four million dollars in guitars (not even shitting)
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
I would have to agree to an extent. He certainly has songs that I really do dig (Mountain time and River I think are two fantastic songs), but a lot of his music tends to sound very generic. That's not to say that he isn't a fantastic player with great musical ideas, because he is. I'm just not sure if he's been revolutionary to be considered one of 'the greats' at this point. He still has some time left though. I do know that he is an extremely hard working and passionate individual. Also seems like a great guy to grab a beer with.

I really hope to see him push though that barrier.
I think he's a really good guitarist. He plays the blues very well so I don't see why he should do it any differently.

Anyone listened to Henrik Freischlader? Worth a pop if you're not quite content with the way Joe does things.
He's a great guitarist, that's for sure. But certainly he's not original, and not really a true blues player. Really, he's more of your typical modern shredder attempting to be a bluesman when in reality he isn't.

And while his techniques are amazing, they've pretty much been lifted from guys like Eric Johnson.

Regarding his music, it's pretty much the entry level of blues, like how Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica is with metal or how Lil Wayne or Drake is with modern hip hop. He, as well as Stevie Ray Vaughn, are fine to listen to if you're just getting into blues but they're not true bluesman like B.B. King or Albert Collins.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
He's a great guitarist, that's for sure. But certainly he's not original, and not really a true blues player. Really, he's more of your typical modern shredder attempting to be a bluesman when in reality he isn't.

And while his techniques are amazing, they've pretty much been lifted from guys like Eric Johnson.

Regarding his music, it's pretty much the entry level of blues, like how Avenged Sevenfold or Metallica is with metal or how Lil Wayne or Drake is with modern hip hop. He, as well as Stevie Ray Vaughn, are fine to listen to if you're just getting into blues but they're not true bluesman like B.B. King or Albert Collins.

So much wrong
]