Can anybody enlighten maybe with an example what this claim by the composer Milton Babbitt means?

"every musical composition justifiably may be regarded as an experiment, the embodiment of hypotheses as to certain specific conditions of musical coherence."

Thanks in advance
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
our understanding of music theory comes from analyzing pre-existing musical relationships. we strive to move away from what we know to explore new relationships and understand how they might function with our current understanding of the art; otherwise, we're bound to stagnation.

this experimentation can be done on any number of levels, but it's all part of the truth that there are no limits in music. conventions are nothing but guidelines, and even if you do something and dislike the effect, it's no big deal. it's all just exploring themes, rhythmically, melodically, tonally, atonally, it's all part of the fun and we shouldn't be afraid of pushing the limits of our understanding
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
He's just trying to make himself sound clever. It means he makes stuff up.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I think he means that he views compositions as a way of trying out if certain musical ideas will work. For lots of people it wouldn't be that way, but it is for him.
Luke Mosse Guitar Teacher in Bristol, UK
Quote by GaryBillington
He's just trying to make himself sound clever. It means he makes stuff up.

dumb

Quote by afromoose
I think he means that he views compositions as a way of trying out if certain musical ideas will work. For lots of people it wouldn't be that way, but it is for him.

dumber
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Thanks a real lot, i almost get it. But what would be the metaphor hypothesis*, as Babbitt puts is..whereas 'specific conditions of musical coherence' are probably things underlying motives, transpositions and progressions

* i know what the word means

EDIT: If think that afromoose could even be right, because it is known that Babbitt experimented with new serialist concepts in his music
Quote by razorback91
Im sorry, I just don't see how you could argue that hardcore isn't metal. That just seems arrogant to me.

Yes, its its own kind of metal, but its still metal.
Last edited by 08L1V10N at Jun 12, 2013,
what he's saying literally is that anything you produce through composition is a means of which you test what will come of a certain series of rules, typically produced organically through convention. my first post was an extension of this translation to break down the concept and derive further meaning from it

it is not to imply that music should be experimental, but rather that it is experimental by nature and by process of development
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Art is not something you create, it's something you experience, sense, interact with and constantly develop. We adjust our form throughout our experiences so that each moment of art may lead to discovery.
Quote by Jehannum
Dumbest

dumberester
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
Quote by Hail
dumberester

dumberesterest.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
you guys are dumb
Quote by Kevätuhri

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.