Page 1 of 2
So PIT, it would appear that the HTC desire that has bravely companion-ed me for years is dead.

I am having a hard time justifying upgrading to a new snazzy one, but really want one none the less.

With mind to a certain level of abstraction above the product itself how do you justify spending money?

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
I get very very drunk. Then I don't remember spending money.

It has the downside of ending up either with hookers or lots of kebabs. And usually the latter, not the former.
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
You can't take it with you.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Buying a top-of-the-line phone without a contract deal?
I don't do that. Nobody should.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I am having a hard time justifying upgrading to a new snazzy one, but really want one none the less.

Because captainsnazz's hair is magnificent. And if you get a new snazzy phone, maybe something magnificent will happen to you. Not as magnificent as captainsnazz's hair, but something magnificent for sure. This should justify everything.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by vulgarmachine

It has the downside of ending up either with hookers or lots of kebabs. And usually the latter, not the former.

Did you just use a kebab as a downside? Nothing is better than a kebab after a night out.
Quote by vulgarmachine

Oddlly enough....

No issues spending here.

Time on earth is like butterscotch; you really want more, even though it will probably just make you ill.

Certified lurker
Quote by AeroRocker

I'm the same, no way I can justify dropping that cash at once, plus an upgrade every other year is fine by me.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
So PIT, it would appear that the HTC desire that has bravely companion-ed me for years is dead.

With mind to a certain level of abstraction above the product itself how do you justify spending money?

How do I justify spending? You only live once mate. Might as well to treat yourself to something nice just for the heck of it.

Hell, just buy some heroine too. We're going to die anyway, why work? Just live life to the fullest with that needle in your arm and the sweetest dreams there are.

So yeah, buy the damned phone and throw your future away. WHY WOULD IT MATTER DAMNIT?
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by metacarpi
I'm the same, no way I can justify dropping that cash at once, plus an upgrade every other year is fine by me.

I'm a giffgaffer. IT works out cheaper in the long run and I don't like being tied into contracts.

^^^
So yeah, buy the damned phone and throw your future away. WHY WOULD IT MATTER DAMNIT?

\/\/\/
and you can easily afford it, go for it.

Middle grey ground....

Certified lurker
Last edited by IYanoplathizoI at Jun 12, 2013,
If it would be stupid, given your finances, to purchase a given item or service, don't do it. Justifying spending money is equally stupid. If you want something, and you can easily afford it, go for it.
Quote by Trowzaa
Did you just use a kebab as a downside? Nothing is better than a kebab after a night out.

Apart from a hooker.

Heh heh heh...

No I agree, a kebab (especially one of the chicken variety) is amazing after a night out!

Quote by IYanoplathizoI

Oddlly enough....

No issues spending here.

That reminds me of the time I went grocery shopping whilst drunk. I went out to buy milk. Came back with cornflakes, biscuits and whisky. And no milk. The thing I went out to buy...
<--- This is Wally. Not Waldo.

Gear List:
Ibanez RG570
Fender MIA Strat (in black, HSS)
Godawful Marshall MG practice amp

My Youtube
My godawful blog
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I'm a giffgaffer. IT works out cheaper in the long run and I don't like being tied into contracts.

How the hell does buying a new phone for $500 and then paying for 2 years of monthly service possibly end up being cheaper than paying $100 for the phone with 2 years of contracted service?
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
http://paygvscontract.com/
Assuming I get a new phone, which I will not.

S4 looks tempting, because I know I can repair it easy.
Oh 250 min option BTW

Certified lurker
Damn that plan is pretty shallow. Do you get slapped with giant fees if you go over 1 GB of data or whatever options you choose?
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
Damn that plan is pretty shallow. Do you get slapped with giant fees if you go over 1 GB of data or whatever options you choose?

Nope.
And shallow?
It has 1gb of data, unlimited texts.
All I need!

And your question:

Nope. You just dont have any more. No more cash in account = no more phone.

You can buy an extra days internet for 40 pence or something if you run out. I never have, there's wifi everywhere at my uni

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI

^^^

\/\/\/

Middle grey ground....

Seriously. If teenagers/young adults like you are contemplating something like this, it usually means the most wise thing is to not do it, but they do it anyway. There's no point in asking here as most people would simply tell you to man the **** up and buy it. What;s the worst thing that can happen? You might end up sucking off sailors to pay for the bills, but hey, your mom turned out great despite that too, so what's the problem?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I'm a giffgaffer. IT works out cheaper in the long run and I don't like being tied into contracts

yeah giffgaff! I'm on the £12 goodybag, love the unlimited internet.

AeroRocker: the cost of £290 for the nexus 4 and £12 a month for unlimited data, texts and 250 minutes works out cheaper over 24 months than a £35 24 month contract with new phone (arguably not always a phone with as good specs), 250 minutes, unlimited texts and 500 mb data.
You can then also change each month to a cheaper tariff or network or increase your allowances far easier than when on contract and no chance of accidental roaming or overuse charges. Simple really.
IYanoplathizoI is only paying £10 per month.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Last edited by OddOneOut at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by Neo Evil11
Seriously. If teenagers/young adults like you are contemplating something like this, it usually means the most wise thing is to not do it, but they do it anyway. There's no point in asking here as most people would simply tell you to man the **** up and buy it. What;s the worst thing that can happen? You might end up sucking off sailors to pay for the bills, but hey, your mom turned out great despite that too, so what's the problem?

I was interested in the larger outlook, and was going to try to avoid specifics , but interesting questions were asked, so i went with it.

Certified lurker
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
I was interested in the larger outlook, and was going to try to avoid specifics , but interesting questions were asked, so i went with it.

I have no idea how this is a response to me claiming you will become a prostitute.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Also it's easy to justify a new phone now because it will be super powerful and should last you a few years.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

I've already spent $800 since my last paycheck. I have no fucking clue. I also need a new phone and am trying to buy a car.
Quote by Neo Evil11
I have no idea how this is a response to me claiming you will become a prostitute.

larger outlook.

LARGER.

outlook.

Certified lurker
Almost all of my unnecessary spending involves getting drunk with friends, i rarely ever spend more than £20-30 in a night though, unless we are doing rounds. I justify it because it is just going out and having a good time, and sometimes it's better to go out even if you think it might be fairly average, rather than wondering what it would have been like if you don't go out.

I want to save for some guitar gear though, so i'll have to watch my budget a bit. Also, if my phone died, i would definitely get a new one exactly the same as it, as it is really handy (htc wildfire), and i couldn't go back to an old phone without decent music, camera, internet, etc.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Last edited by donender at Jun 12, 2013,
Quote by IYanoplathizoI
larger outlook.

LARGER.

outlook.

Your puns are so bad, that I will not tip you. I think I will even slap you harder during anal.

edit: Why are you yellowie/orangie on your profile pic? Do you suffer from some kind of Liver failure? Is it hepatitis A,B,C?
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 12, 2013,
Go for it buy a phone.

Quote by Joshua Garcia
Because captainsnazz's hair is magnificent. And if you get a new snazzy phone, maybe something magnificent will happen to you. Not as magnificent as captainsnazz's hair, but something magnificent for sure. This should justify everything.

You should make a secret website called church of captainsnazz's hair and convince many random people to worship. After a few months he'll wonder why the hell everyone in France(??) is focusing on him for no good reason and cut it all off. The hair will come back to life on its own for revenge, stealing any new phones or similar objets de snazzie that dared steal its thunder along the way.

Quote by IYanoplathizoI

I make a flow chart in my head:

Do I have money for it? ------ Yes ------- Do I want it? ----------- Yes
                |                                |                    |
               No                                No                   |
                | -----I don't get it -----------|               I get it
Quote by AeroRocker
Debatable.
Nexus 4 is fairly top of the line. Cost me $350, but my prepaid plan completely compensates for the outrageous prices of a monthly contract.
I earn it, I spend it.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Money is for spending. If you have the disposable income, buy something decent. A cheap and crappy phone will only let you down and be poor value in the long term, anyway.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I think the word you were looking for was "accompanied".
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
I couldn't justify spending that much on a phone. I'm perfectly happy with my pay as you go no thrills call and text handset.

I don't need all the other stuff that comes with a smartphone and I'm pretty sure neither do 95% of people who own them. Plus my battery life is better than yours.
My battery lasts for up to 3 days.

If I never turn my screen on.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Quote by OddOneOut
Also it's easy to justify a new phone now because it will be super powerful and should last you a few years.

I seem to hear this every year
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Masquirina
You should make a secret website called church of captainsnazz's hair and convince many random people to worship. After a few months he'll wonder why the hell everyone in France(??) is focusing on him for no good reason and cut it all off. The hair will come back to life on its own for revenge, stealing any new phones or similar objets de snazzie that dared steal its thunder along the way.

I don't even.
Quote by SGstriker
If KFC is finger-licking good, then people would probably suck dicks for Popeyes. That's how good it is.

There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
If I want it and it's not going to make me completely broke in the long run, I go for it.

I don't have bills to pay except tuition and rent next year, though.
Page 1 of 2