So I've been looking at the Fernandes Sustainer kits, as well as Sustainiac, and I have just a few questions that I can't seem to find answers on:

I realize that the sustainer driver is in the form of an actual pickup, but i can't find any information, or reviews as to how the actual pickup sounds. It's placed in the neck position, so how will it sound when I want to use the neck pup?

Tying into the previous question, the instructions all say that the driver pickup must be placed three (or so) inches from the pickup to be sustained, so regular pup in the bridge position, and the driver in the neck. So this means I can only get the sustaining effect using my bridge pickup yes? The driver pickup can't drive itself I'm guessing, and if I have a middle position pickup that won't work with it either?

Can any pot switches (afterburner, coil tap etc) be used with the sustainer?

Lastly, pros and cons of Fernandes vs Sustainiac?

Thanks in advance
Quote by pwninator123
EPIC LOLZ FROM THE LEFTY!!!!!!

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
i tried a sustainiac, if you want to know what one is like it is best to try one. no written review is going to prepare you for the experience. i wouldn't worry about mixing and matching pickups and reviewing positions, if you want some strange and erie sustain effects then try one out. it had a very strange feel to it, you can literally feel the string vibrating when in sustain mode.

personally i prefer good ol' fashioned feedback, the sustainiac did have a cool clean sustain tone that i think would be quite hard to reproduce with normal feedback techniques though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Yes it is always best to try before you buy. Unfortunately neither product is incredibly common and most stores (GC included) have yet to have one on hand for me to try.
How did the actual pickup sound when in the neck position?
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

When I brought up this page, so much fail dumped out of my computer screen and all over my hands, severely damaging my ability as a musician.
What you need is a bigger amp and more speakers.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What you need is a bigger amp and more speakers.

200 watts isn't enough? I wish I had access to a soundproofed studio 24/7 but as is I don't think my neighbors would be too happy with me practicing controlled amp feedback
Quote by pwninator123

Quote by death.prog
Ugh...

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
Yes it is always best to try before you buy. Unfortunately neither product is incredibly common and most stores (GC included) have yet to have one on hand for me to try.

yup, incredibly uncommon. but i still don't think any videos or written reviews are going to tell you if you like it.

i have bought things from musicians friends and sent them back just to try them out. if you are serious about getting one then consider buying from a company with a return policy and accept the possible loss of a restocking and shipping fee. sometimes it is worth it.

Quote by Lefty7Stringer
How did the actual pickup sound when in the neck position?

like a normal pickup. the tone of the entire guitar was a bit on the bright side, but i have no idea if that was because of the pup.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae