I ordered an Avatar 2x12 last week and customized it to my liking. Now the only thing I don't know if I made the right choice would be the mono or stereo wiring. When the salesman asked me which one I wanted I told him to go with the stereo without thinking about it. Now I'm thinking about it and it's bugging me. Am I doomed for making this careless mistake? Does the sound differ between mono and stereo cabs?

My amp is a Peavey Triple X with an ohm selector on the back an I ordered the cab in 8 ohms if that helps.

*Edit* I also got the V30/G12 Mix when I ordered. I don't want only one speaker used at a time or something crazy like that
Last edited by Sir Stoney at Jun 12, 2013,
No I would have ordered with the stereo option. The only advantages to a mono cab is daisy chaining cabinets together.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You should have got the mono version. It's not a big deal to rewire it though so the second input becomes a parallel connection for daisy chaining. You'll be able to wire it as either 4 or 16 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 12, 2013,
Stereo means you can run two heads into it. So in stereo, one speaker will be for one head and one speaker will be for the other.

Call them and get them to change it to mono.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Stereo means you can run two heads into it. So in stereo, one speaker will be for one head and one speaker will be for the other.

Call them and get them to change it to mono.

Alright, last week I ordered it and he said it would be shipped in 7-10 days after they built it... I hope they haven't shipped it yet. You think they wouldn't have a problem in changing it?
Quote by Cathbard
You should have got the mono version. It's not a big deal to rewire it though so the second input becomes a parallel connection for daisy chaining. You'll be able to wire it as either 4 or 16 ohms.

My cab is 8 ohms, if I switch my amp to 8 ohms will both speakers be used? Sorry this is a nub question.
I dunno, I've never dealt with them.

I may have misinterpreted the OP though. Listen to Cath, he knows what's up.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
If it's 8 ohms in stereo that means that each speaker is 8 ohms. If you rewire the cab as mono you have two options:
a: wired in series for 16 ohms
b: wired in parallel for 4 ohms.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I bought a Avatar cab used. It was mono. I then purchased a stereo jackplate. It swaps out ridiculously easy. Now I can have my cab be mono or stereo if I wanted to. I think it was like $15 for a new plate.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Cathbard
If it's 8 ohms in stereo that means that each speaker is 8 ohms. If you rewire the cab as mono you have two options:
a: wired in series for 16 ohms
b: wired in parallel for 4 ohms.

Ah ok. So if I keep my amp on 8 ohms my cab will use both speakers? Does the sound differ between stereo cabs and mono cabs? If not then will I be fine if I can't get them to change it?
No. The amp would have to have two independent outputs to connect to each input on the cab (ie. a stereo amp) - it doesn't. The cab has to be wired up as mono or you'll just be using one speaker. You goofed. Try ringing them and changing your order, that would be the best solution. It isn't a big deal for them to alter the order if they haven't sent it out yet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
No. The amp would have to have two independent outputs to connect to each input on the cab (ie. a stereo amp) - it doesn't. The cab has to be wired up as mono or you'll just be using one speaker. You goofed. Try ringing them and changing your order, that would be the best solution. It isn't a big deal for them to alter the order if they haven't sent it out yet.

So what you are saying is that if it's in stereo I'm only going to be able to use 1 speaker even if my amp has a 4,8, and 16 ohm selector?

Sigh, I should've known about this.
Depends on how it's wired, and what they mean by stereo... my MS412 can be run in mono or stereo.

If your cab is strictly stereo, then yeah you'll have to rewire it. It's not hard to do though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Why didn't you ask him the difference at the time if you weren't sure?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Why didn't you ask him the difference at the time if you weren't sure?

I just didn't think about it really, I researched about the ohms and I guess it just slipped my mind.
Your cab currently has two 8 ohm speakers with two separate input jacks. The speakers aren't connected to each other in any way whatsoever. Changing the impedance switch at your amp won't change the wiring structure of the cab.

But even if they have shipped it, it's an easy fix. Just wire it in one of these two fashions to pick your overall impedance. (In series, the resistances add. In parallel, you get the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals...you don't need to worry about that lol)

This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by Sir Stoney
So what you are saying is that if it's in stereo I'm only going to be able to use 1 speaker even if my amp has a 4,8, and 16 ohm selector?

Sigh, I should've known about this.
You will be fine

The stereo set up will have 1 mono 16 ohm input, 1 4ohm mono input and 2 stereo 8ohm inputs. They have a picture of the stereo jack on www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm it shows a picture of it.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
wow. this thread just got me scared....so much in fact i just looped a riff and put my ear to my cab to check if both speakers played.

i forgot waht i ordered and im not moving my cab right now.....but i got some kind of multi jack configuration and i only use 1 hole, plays both speakers. must be 2 mono or the 3 jack multi option?

whatever. for now, i only have 1 amp and 1 cab, so screw it.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by TremontiAddict
Your cab currently has two 8 ohm speakers with two separate input jacks. The speakers aren't connected to each other in any way whatsoever. Changing the impedance switch at your amp won't change the wiring structure of the cab.

But even if they have shipped it, it's an easy fix. Just wire it in one of these two fashions to pick your overall impedance. (In series, the resistances add. In parallel, you get the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals...you don't need to worry about that lol)

Thank you so much for the diagram. If I can't change it to mono I'll show my dad this and he could probably rewire it.
Quote by Robbgnarly
You will be fine

The stereo set up will have 1 mono 16 ohm input, 1 4ohm mono input and 2 stereo 8ohm inputs. They have a picture of the stereo jack on www.avatarspeakers.com/Contemporary%20212.htm it shows a picture of it.

Ah I just looked it up. I see now, so the stereo 8 ohm input will use both speakers or no?
Quote by Sir Stoney
Ah I just looked it up. I see now, so the stereo 8 ohm input will use both speakers or no?

The jack in the bottom right is a 16ohm mono input. This will run both of the speakers you would just set your amp to 16ohms and use 1 speaker cable into that jack on the cab.

The jack in the upper left is a 4ohm mono jack (it is also labeled 8ohm stereo). This will also use both speakers only it will be a 4ohm load so set your amp to 4ohms and use 1 speaker cable to this jack only.

if you plug into the top right input this will only use 1 speaker and it will work at 8ohms.

You can plug 1 cable into the top right and one into the top right jacks, if your amp has more than 1 speaker output on it. if you do this you must run your head at 4ohms because 2 8ohm loads in parallel is 4ohms.

As you can see the inputs on the avatar jack are on a circuit board and it will automatically make the proper conections when you connect to the jacks(I'm talking about the stereo function)
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
That's a nice system. I think I prefer that to the way Marshall does it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
The jack in the bottom right is a 16ohm mono input. This will run both of the speakers you would just set your amp to 16ohms and use 1 speaker cable into that jack on the cab.

The jack in the upper left is a 4ohm mono jack (it is also labeled 8ohm stereo). This will also use both speakers only it will be a 4ohm load so set your amp to 4ohms and use 1 speaker cable to this jack only.

if you plug into the top right input this will only use 1 speaker and it will work at 8ohms.

You can plug 1 cable into the top right and one into the top right jacks, if your amp has more than 1 speaker output on it. if you do this you must run your head at 4ohms because 2 8ohm loads in parallel is 4ohms.

As you can see the inputs on the avatar jack are on a circuit board and it will automatically make the proper conections when you connect to the jacks(I'm talking about the stereo function)

Oh ok. So I will have to run my amp at 4 or 16 ohms depending on which jack I use. Which would you recommend? 4 or 16 ohms?

As of right now I am getting ready to call Avatar and see if they can change my order.
Quote by Sir Stoney
Oh ok. So I will have to run my amp at 4 or 16 ohms depending on which jack I use. Which would you recommend? 4 or 16 ohms?

As of right now I am getting ready to call Avatar and see if they can change my order.

all my cabs are 16ohm
I used to have 2 8ohm cabs
I really don't know if there is any difference in sound between the 4 and 16ohm impedence
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Haha I called them and asked them if I could switch, and the guy said I had already chose mono. I could have sworn I chose stereo though. Hehe, Sorry to bother you all for this. Smh...
Well the theory goes like this. Higher impedance means more turns of wire. That means higher inductance. That means more attenuation of the top end.
In reality the audible difference is so little that breathing on the tone controls has more effect,

However and this is a big however; 16 ohms means they are in series so if you blow either speaker you have no load across the output transformer. This is bad. If you use the 4 ohm input they are in parallel so if one speaker blows you still have a speaker across the output of the amp. It's a 2:1 mismatch but most amps will cope ok. It's a mismatch in the safest direction too. You're unlikely to blow up the amp. Better to have a n 8 ohm load than nothing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification