I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in my g-400. any suggestions? will be playing stoner/doom metal. going to replace neck and bridge, definitely want humbuckers. my budget for the the pair is $180.
banned
A Seymour Duncan Distortion would be good in the bridge. A '59 would probably be good in the neck.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
A Seymour Duncan Distortion would be good in the bridge. A '59 would probably be good in the neck.

can i remove my current pickup covers and put em on those? I like the look.
banned
Probably. Removing/installing covers is kind of a PITA though.

You can get those pups with covers on them, or if price is the issue, find them used. Even if you just got the '59 used, it's common enough that it shouldn't be hard to find with a cover. Then you should have enough left over to get a new Distortion with a cover.

EDIT: Actually, you can afford them both new with covers.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seymour-Duncan-SH-6b-Distortion-Bridge-Bridge-Humbucker-W-Nickel-Cover-/140957181526?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20d1b3e656

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-SEYMOUR-DUNCAN-SH-1-Model-59-Vintage-PAF-Humbucker-NECK-NICKEL-Cover-/290908885881?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item43bb855379

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by Offworld92
Probably. Removing/installing covers is kind of a PITA though.

You can get those pups with covers on them, or if price is the issue, find them used. Even if you just got the '59 used, it's common enough that it shouldn't be hard to find with a cover. Then you should have enough left over to get a new Distortion with a cover.

I website I was on didn't have the nickel covers, so I thought I would have to use mine. No, thats great, I can get them both new with covers
banned
Check it out on Youtube first, of course. If the Distortion is too high output for your tastes, check out the Custom.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Check it out on Youtube first, of course. If the Distortion is too high output for your tastes, check out the Custom.

of course im going to look at a few review videos first.
banned
I don't want to be that guy who is an ass maybe you could save for save for something else. if you are referring to the same doom i listen to the amp is a more important factor then pickups.

But the pickups impact tone too. They are also never a loss as long as you keep your factory Pickups. So if you were to a new guitar and sell what you hAve now, throw the factory pickups in and you still have the 'good' ones.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by ExDementia
Maybe some kind of medium output? Like a JB or even a DiMarzio/Seymour Duncan PAF?

I haven't had a chance to get my recently replaced crunch lab/liquifire on most of my amps are at my other house. All i have played it on is. Mesa mkiv and sig:x. I imagine they will be huge with the Nitro.

The crunch lab is nice and tight, but both of the amps i played on i would consider tight.

Worth a listen anyways
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
You don't need those super high output metal-voiced pickups. It seems like most of the people on this forum don't know what stoner is about.
It's all about sustain and growl, and a cranked tube amp. Look for PAF-style pickups, maybe. My friend has a guitar with Pearly Gates in it and it does stoner wonderfully through his Peavey Classic 50 and Big Muff.

And by the way, Sleep rule!
Last edited by terribleguitar at Jun 13, 2013,
What amp?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
What amp?

I think he has a Fender Excelsior (listed in his sig). Not the worst amp for stoner/doom IMO, given its 15" speaker.
I use a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge of my G-400 and it works great for stoner/doom. It has a lot of mids, it stays pretty clear in drop tunings and it has that sizzle that works great IMO. And playing stoner/doom you want the mids because everything is super fuzzy and d-tuned
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate