Hi guys

I have this amp. The cab is a Teisco checkmate, but I can't find much about the head. Says Scarab B100 on it, but nothing else anywhere. Anyone got an idea?

(Invalid img)

Edit: OK, so I can't post links yet. The amp is a valve state head, 4 valves, total of four inputs across two channels. Pretty standard controls etc.
Where did you get it?

Could be something someone built on their own.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Got it from a friend of a friend. Their father passed away, and they were left with this guitar amp with no musicians in the family, and it was offered to me. Found that link talking about Rhodesia, makes sense, since I'm in South Africa.

It has a pretty cool sound, fuzzy with a bit of static, but not bad really. Not at all my sound though...
... The call went out to a local contact, Darryl Heinrich, who had technical skills and was asked to accompany the band. He agreed and soon found himself working in a factory in Rhodesia building Scarab guitar amps, speaker cabinets, discos and fuzzboxes...

Take a look at the logo on the speaker grill on that cab. Looks the same as the amp.

http://www.rhodiemusic.com/bands/bands-s.htm
Quote by DrKillinger
Hi guys

I have this amp. The cab is a Teisco checkmate, but I can't find much about the head. Says Scarab B100 on it, but nothing else anywhere. Anyone got an idea?

(Invalid img)

Edit: OK, so I can't post links yet. The amp is a valve state head, 4 valves, total of four inputs across two channels. Pretty standard controls etc.

Yes, I knew him "slightly". in 1980. I was in Rhodesia, which became Zimbawbwe around 1980ish. I believe he was in Bulawayo, but might have been in Salisbury (which is now known as Harare (place of many people). We were in a church musical group and he was an amp manufacturer and agreed to lend us a head and bottom for a guitar player for 6 weeks. He was not exactly young at the time so I would be surprised if he is still alive.
I remember it was a head and bottom much like all british amps (he was british like most Rhodesians were) and the amp sounded cool if it was turned up all the way.
He asked me what amplifier I had back in the states and told him I had a HiWatt. He sounded like he knew and was friends with Dave Reeves (if I got the name right). He was probably the only amp manufacturer within thousands of miles. Tiny company. He was quite a nice man. He probably barely had the means to help us out, and had no reason to help other than we asked him. And he still did it. I do not remember his name. But I was young and remember that it felt cool to actually know someone who owned an amplifier company.

I believe the only RHodesian artist that was popular at the time was someone named Jerry Jeff Walker. (or something like that)..and I don't even know if he used Scarab or not. Rhodesia was (and probably still is) VERY TINY, the biggest town was like DINKY. (salisbury), and second biggest was very dinky (bulawayo) and third biggest......(Gwelo)...I can't even remember if Gwelo even had a stop light..but it had a drug store and stuff like that. I have some pictures somewhere I took in Gwelo.....with African's running round in shooting off AK's the day they had the election to put in that schmuck Robert Magabe as the new head schmuck.

Once Magabe was in, there was no way anybody was going to stay in business unless they were a member of his tribe, or party, (or whatever you want to call it...)..I think his party was called ZANU. (and they are still in power, I believe,...which is easy to do if you execute your competition) . So, I would suspect the guy who made the scarabs went back to England,...or they took his company and it immiediately went broke...

Anway, we (I was the guitar guy most of the time) used that amp for the few weeks and then returned it to him with a few scuffs on the head, he griped a little because he was going to have to put the head into a new cabinet in order to sell it. But you know, he did not charge us for the use or the scuffs...and that company was very Tiny. I am BEYOND surprised that anybody out there in thew whole world even knew that amp existed.

Please post some pics if you can. I don't know if I ever took one picture when we were there. I do remember the amp was a beige color...not black. So was the cabinet. He may have made black ones also, but ours was beige....like a really old fender or gibson amp..I think.