Hey, I have a line 6 spider IV, 15, whatever. And when i do rounds of pull offs and hammer ons and slides the sound will fade away...Technique aside, what might cause a problem like that, is it my settings, best cables? Can you guys recommend me some good setting for shredding?
First off, no settings threads

Things that can affect sustain, technique aside:

Shitty amp (check)
Poor guitar setup (nut, saddles, neck relief)
Pickup height (strong pickups closer to the strings will affect sustain negatively)

The key to sustain for hours is an excess of volume + big ass speaker cab + good vibrato technique.
Quote by Klajdi Abbott
Line 6 Spider IV 15 is a shitty amp ? Honestly, first time I hear that.

My intention wasn't to insult. You asked a question, I answered
If the sound fades, it's because your hammer ons/pull offs are getting weaker as you do them for longer. Practice them more to get your strength up.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by Klajdi Abbott
Line 6 Spider IV 15 is a shitty amp ? Honestly, first time I hear that.

I'm surprised you can hear anything at all, since you bought that piece of shit. Have you tried switching it on yet?
Last edited by innovine at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by Klajdi Abbott
Yeah I know, but honestly, why do you think it's a bad amp?

I bought the same amp for my first electric guitar. This amp is absolutely fine for practicing.
Well how well does it sustain a solid note without sliding or hammer ons or pull offs. IF it sustains then its not the amp. If you have a old guitar or shitty guitar with cheap pick ups. this could cause it. If your guitars action is too low it could buzz on the frets. Thats all going to be up to you to figure out tho.

I usually use alot of treble not much mids full gain. half bass, my shit has a presences button and a high gain too. so I click those on turn the treble down some.

Ya know I bought a cravin power-amp and pre-amp years ago, total was about 500 bucks.

Well the dame pre-amps clean channel is so quite even tho the volume is on 10. The distorted channel is so loud the volumes only on 1 or 2. Its had its own volume problems cutting out and the effects cutting out too. loosing signal somewhere, I used to tap on the top of it to fix it. I wiggled some plugs inside must have fixed it.

I had a problem with 1 off the power amp channels too. it would fade to nothing I took it apart and there was a plug half way disconnected. HALFWAY DISCONNECTED NO SHIT!!!.

Ill never buy cravin again.
Quote by Klajdi Abbott
Yeah I know, but honestly, why do you think it's a bad amp?

It's a practice amp and not a great one. It sounds fake and there are better amps for the same price. But I'm sure the amp is not your problem (unless you have a noise gate on and the threshold is set too high). Can you do hammer ons and pull offs unplugged (so that you get a sound)? I can make hammer ons and pull offs "sustain" on any amp settings.

But it might be your guitar. You might get too much fret buzz or something. Or then the action is too high which affects the playability of your guitar. But I'm pretty sure it's your technique.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
OK, lots of my students use this amp, and it's the ones we use at the Academy, so here's an idea to help you.

Put it on "Insane"

Turn "off" all effects, by making sure the knobs are all the way turned to the left. Since Line 6 Presets their channels, you may have to turn them to the right first then to the left. This overrides their presets.

Take your Bass and move it to about 1 o clock
Take your Mid and move it between 1-3 according to your taste
Take your Treble and move it between 1-2

Set your Drive/Gain the knob at the far left to all the way to the right.

Set your Channel Volume to whatever level seems suitable for you.

Now go to the 2nd effects knob, and move it just past 12 to tape delay.

Hit tap tempo 2-3 times where you are pushing it fast enough to hit it 2 times within a second.

This should give you a great practice tone with a hint of delay to help with any sustained notes.

Press and hold the Insane button for about 4 seconds until all the lights flash. You now have these settings saved into your Insane Preset.

If you're playing a strat style guitar, move the 5 way switch all the way forward
If it's a LP style with a 3 way, switch it so its all the way down.

Good luck!

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 13, 2013,
^^^ so Sean, what's your opinion on the amp in general? In my limited experience it's fine, but UG likes whinge that they aren't getting tube distortion on a solid state amp.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Almost certainly the problem is in your technique.

I will say, however, that most people who do a lot of hammer on/pull off runs crank up the compression, which makes the whole situation more forgiving (and a significant cost, but, you know, that's why you have a compressor pedal you can step on just for that run).
Quote by AlanHB
^^^ so Sean, what's your opinion on the amp in general? In my limited experience it's fine, but UG likes whinge that they aren't getting tube distortion on a solid state amp.

I owned a Line 6 spider 1 and a Spider valve. the Spider 1 was a great practice amp for its time (2000). While I would not recommend it for the giging guitarist, for you at home it will be fine.

The insane setting is horrible, I never used it . It produces so much feedback it is IMO unusable .

You need to turn the noise gate off on the amp. if you have your manual it will tell you how and if not go to L6's website and search for the manual.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I used to have a Spider. I think they have some sort of noise cancellation built into them. That would explain the fade out as well.
2010 Gibson SG Honeyburst
I'm a musician, a composer, and a theory nut. Pleased to meet you! Check out my websites and drop me a line.

"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude. " ~ Freidrich Nietzche

My Website
Quote by AlanHB

For a hundred dollars? I think they are great - I wish they'd been around when I was coming up. It's not supposed to be a tube amp, its solid state. Buy a tube amp if you got the $. To complain because something isn't what its not intended to be is just ludicrous. I can do everything from, Johnny Cash to Metallica to Santana to Hendrix to Pink Floyd to GnR on that thing.

What else at that price point does more?

Rob - after Spider 2 that Insane setting was greatly improved - I know exactly what you mean by the "old" Insane setting - that was terrible!

Best,

Sean
Last edited by Sean0913 at Jun 14, 2013,