Page 1 of 2
Who are in ur opinion the most underrated and most overrated guitarists?

My opinion:

Overrated:

- Slash
- Kurt Cobain (plays 2-3 powerchords and sings about depression, boooring as hell..)
- Kirk Hammett
- Zakk Wylde
- Herman Li
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- Eric Clapton

Underrated:

- Michael Schenker (most underrated artist in history of rock)
- Jake E. Lee
- Uli Roth
- Chris Impellitteri
- Greg Howe
- Eric Johnson (hes well known but doesent get the credit he deserves)
Last edited by emirvai at Jul 12, 2013,
Eric Johnson is very well know and gets quite a bit of praise.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
I chose to link that thread at random out of the dozens of identical threads you could have found using the searchbar.

Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
lol herman li is terrible his solo's sound so bad but i <3 Yngwie Malmsteen
Yeah, dudeman could use the search function. Or maybe he could just make a new thread. It's the internet, guys. It's not like we're going to use it all up if we make a new thread for something that's been discussed before. Big long threads are clunky and get off topic and are filled with old information. Maybe someone has changed their opinion since but didn't think to call the old thread from the grave.

overrated: Obviously hammet. Anyone with half a brain can tell this guy sucks. Buying his sig guitar is like saying "I want to play the guitar like a total jackass".

Cooley. Yeah. He plays fast. What does he play? I dunno I can't pay attention for more than 15 seconds.

Rhoads. Best thing this guy ever did was ask someone to make him a cool guitar.

underrated: Mansoor. Yeah everyone is talking about him nowdays-- but not enough people as far as I'm concerned. This guys solos are always so freaking good and not just pointless shredding either. Super structured and liquid fast without sounding like Cooley making a milkshake.

Muhammed Suiçmez. I don't even know what to write about this guy he's just too good. And I'd say he takes a reasonable amount of responsibility for way too technical death metal.

Karl Sanders. This guy acts ridiculous. I've seen Nile a few times and he is so fat and drunk and weird. But the stuff this guy writes is crazy. I know a lot of people knock this band for 'everything sounding the same', and all I would say to that is... nah, not to me.
Listen. I'm sorry.
So what if there is another overrated/underrated thread.

Overrated:

Eric Clapton - He is good, but should not the number two greatest guitarist according to Rolling Stone magazine. Crossroads is one of my favorite songs, Sunshine Of Your Love was one of the first song I learned, but he isn't the second greatest guitarist of all time.

Jimi Hendrix - He dressed like a blind clown and was trippin out practically any time he touched a guitar. Yes, he inspired years of rock, but honestly, not "The Greatest Guitarist Of All Time To Exist On Earth Ever"

Kurt Cobain - Like the post said, he sings about depression and rape and other weird stuff. And he plays a couple power chords in a progression, his solos aren't super good either.

Underrated

Dimebag Darrell - Yes there are Dime fanboys that make him seem overrated. But he is really good. When I first heard Cowboys from Hell, I was like "Okay, Okay, oh yeah, initiate headbang!" But then other songs like I'm Broken, Walk, Cemetery Gates, Mouth For War, Domination, 5 Minutes Alone, and more. He is just good. He had so much more to offer.

Allman Brothers guitarists - Warren Haynes, Dickie Betts, Duane Allman, Derek Trucks, they are all good.

Megadeth Guitarists - Dave Mustaine is good, but I mean the other guys. The ones that play other times. Marty Friedman, Chris Poland, they are very good, but live in the shadow of Dave.
Last edited by DRMguitar at Jul 24, 2013,
+1 for underrated marty friedman. His work with Cacophony is ridiculous.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Last edited by vilk at Jul 1, 2013,
There are a few I forgot to say

Underrated

Richie Blackmore of Deep Purple
Yeah people think of Smoke On The Water, but there is so much more. My favorites are Lazy, Highway Star, and Space Truckin

George Harrison of the Beatles
Just an excellent musician. Played more than just guitar too.
If you talk to someone who likes the Beatles, but doesn't play guitar, chances are, they will talk about John Lennon or Paul McCartney, not George.
Last edited by DRMguitar at Jul 24, 2013,
Underrated - Jimi Hendrix
Overrated - just about everyone else.

If you never 'got' Hendrix it is probably because you were brought up on the safe bog standard 4 beats to the bar that your parents liked. If you have ever bothered to listen to classical music and heard a violin being played then Hendrix isn't a problem, in fact he sounds more musical than anyone else. Technically he may have had some issues, but is that what music is really about. And some of his technical issues came in performance through drug misuse.
Overrated: Steve Vai

Underrated: James Williamson

EDIT: There are more, I just can't think of any right now. I've always been a huge James Williamson fan. Though he is far from being a guitar god I just don't think that he ever has gotten the type of credit that he deserves.
Last edited by man_suits at Jul 3, 2013,
Quote by emirvai
Who are in ur opinion the most underrated and most overrated guitarists?

My opinion:

Overrated:

- Slash
- Kurt Cobain (plays 2-3 powerchords and sings about depression, boooring as hell..)
- Kirk Hammett
- Zakk Wylde
- Herman Li
- Yngwie Malmsteen
- Eric Clapton

Underrated:

- Michael Schenker (most underrated artist in history of rock)
- Jake E. Lee
- Uli Roth
- Chris Impellitteri
- Eric Johnson (hes well known but doesent get the credit he deserves)

I agree except you also forgot to include Chris Broderick (from Megadeth) as one of the most underrated guitar players. I think he is about as good as it gets, yet will remain in the shadow of Marty Friedman -- due to the loyalty factor that hard core Megadeth fans have bestowed on him.

Also I think it should be noted that Kirk Hammett does not put on any pretenses about his ability to play, as great as that is. He's a much better classical metal composer then a super talented guitar player, per se' imo!

I would also like to thank you for mentioning the relatively unknown guitar greats on your list, in addition to the note about Micheal Schenker.
Metalmarcs
Last edited by Metalmarcs at Jul 7, 2013,
I think every douche mentioned in this thread is way overrated. I'll let you figure out the ones who aren't.
Overrated: Jimi Hendrix
Underrated: Billy Corgan (who has a similar style but better)
Any asshole who has picked up a guitar for three days will say hendrix is god. But he is not. Sloppy, bad live playing, simplistic compositions. So what if he "played" guitar with his teeth. I could do that and it would sound equally as shitty. He had some good tunes, but nothing technically groundbreaking.
Corgan.. Isn't the best by any stretch of the imagination. But he never really gets recognition on a guitar standpoint. He is... Douche, yes, but listen to the solos for Geek USA, Soma, and Mayo. Geek USA was kinda a cacophony, but overall he has a very good sense of lyrical phrasing and rhythm.
Michael Schenker is also awesome!
I only feel like me when I'm behind my ax...
Can't think of any ovies right now.

Undie:
Rebecca Barlow, ex-BarlowGirl, and whoever plays for Skillet (currently Seth Morrison). And many others underrated out there...

Ramon from Miami
Bassist guitarist open mike star!
Last edited by RamonBRocker at Jul 11, 2013,
Quote by himi_jendrix
overrated: yngay malmsteen

underrated: lil wayne

lil wayn so true, hes way to underrated..
WHO THINKS KURT COBAIN IS OVERRATED!!!!!!!!! The man is a genius, he is the foundation of the still strong band the Foo fighters, he practically taught Dave Grohl everything he knows!!!!!!!!
Quote by abronzo
WHO THINKS KURT COBAIN IS OVERRATED!!!!!!!!! The man is a genius, he is the foundation of the still strong band the Foo fighters, he practically taught Dave Grohl everything he knows!!!!!!!!

A bit biased are we?
Underrated: Rick Parfitt, best rhythm guitarist alive in my humble opinion.
Last edited by VelvetTube at Jul 13, 2013,
Quote by DRMguitar
A bit biased are we?

nnnnnnnoooooooooooooo!!!! i love every guitarist the same, unless you are lil wayne
Wasn't underrated in his day but probably is today: "Mr Guitar" Chet Atkins.

He was two hand fret tapping before EVH knew what a guitar was. The style of music he played is out of popular favour today but the dude was one of the slickest guitar players of all time.
Si
Looking at that previous thread it was, "Overrated: Slash", "Slash", "Slash" like a bunch of bleating sheep. Are these guys even aware they're just mindlessly copying the post above? Probably not. It's the mindset, probably perfectly reflected in their own guitar playing.

Ok, it's nice to mention a player whom you believe isn't appreciated as much as his or her talent deserves, but I really hate reading a bunch-of-nobodies' opinions about who's overrated.
Yes I am a nobody, but Slash is overrated. I don't need to be the greatest guitarist ever just to say that somebody isn't as good as everybody thinks he is. I work in a music shop, and when I hear someone play Sweet Child O Mine, it is just like Stairway to Heaven or Smoke On The Water. When someone tries to play it, it just seems like a "look at me" attempt.
Quote by vilk
Yeah, dudeman could use the search function. Or maybe he could just make a new thread. It's the internet, guys. It's not like we're going to use it all up if we make a new thread for something that's been discussed before. Big long threads are clunky and get off topic and are filled with old information. Maybe someone has changed their opinion since but didn't think to call the old thread from the grave.

overrated: Obviously hammet. Anyone with half a brain can tell this guy sucks. Buying his sig guitar is like saying "I want to play the guitar like a total jackass".

Cooley. Yeah. He plays fast. What does he play? I dunno I can't pay attention for more than 15 seconds.

Rhoads. Best thing this guy ever did was ask someone to make him a cool guitar.

underrated: Mansoor. Yeah everyone is talking about him nowdays-- but not enough people as far as I'm concerned. This guys solos are always so freaking good and not just pointless shredding either. Super structured and liquid fast without sounding like Cooley making a milkshake.

Muhammed Suiçmez. I don't even know what to write about this guy he's just too good. And I'd say he takes a reasonable amount of responsibility for way too technical death metal.

Karl Sanders. This guy acts ridiculous. I've seen Nile a few times and he is so fat and drunk and weird. But the stuff this guy writes is crazy. I know a lot of people knock this band for 'everything sounding the same', and all I would say to that is... nah, not to me.

Rhoads is not underrated. He was a genius composer, played classical guitar v.good. Soloed very good, and he died tragically. I do not agree with you. It was rhoads playing that made me pickup a guitar. I worship him, and you just cant say he is overrated, if rhoads is overrated what is left for the rest of ozzys guitarists? Cause clearly randy was the best of em.

And for me being a guitarist is a mixture of skills and composing abilities I hate nirvana and I agree that kurt is overrated, but aparently he was great since lots of people seem to like his music.

How can you say santana is overrated, the guy is a legend, shared stages with Jimi Hendrix, and he invented a style of playing!

It is very unfair to say anybody is overrated, all the guitarist listed as overrated did something to have the fame they had. Yes I feel Randy Rhoads is a god compared to Kurt Cobain, but they played different things, and its always the same here, comparing pears with apples. And of course, there is no correct answer since music is not maths. Its all down to personal opinions.
Quote by slayer1979
Overrated: Jimi Hendrix
Underrated: Billy Corgan (who has a similar style but better)
Any asshole who has picked up a guitar for three days will say hendrix is god. But he is not. Sloppy, bad live playing, simplistic compositions. So what if he "played" guitar with his teeth. I could do that and it would sound equally as shitty. He had some good tunes, but nothing technically groundbreaking.
Corgan.. Isn't the best by any stretch of the imagination. But he never really gets recognition on a guitar standpoint. He is... Douche, yes, but listen to the solos for Geek USA, Soma, and Mayo. Geek USA was kinda a cacophony, but overall he has a very good sense of lyrical phrasing and rhythm.
Michael Schenker is also awesome!

YOU GO WASH YOUR MOUTH.

When you can succesfully play the riffs he played while he sang on top you will then be able to understand a little of the greatness of hendrix.

Hendrix... pff. Clearly you dont take in account the timeframe in which he lived.
He played really good live. You just stuck with 2 youtube videos you saw probably.
Its really tough to say that guys from 20-30 years ago are overrated. EVH and Randy Rhodes and Jimi Hendrix and Tony Iommi can never be overrated. They did things nobody else was doing. They laid the groud for the guys doing the amazing things they are doing today. If not for those guys doing what they did, Misha (who makes my underrated list) would not be doing what he does. If any of you think guitar playing would have gone from simple 1 3 5 blues strumming to sweep picking without a few Jimmy Pages in between, you are crazy.
Quote by leo4sf
Its really tough to say that guys from 20-30 years ago are overrated. EVH and Randy Rhodes and Jimi Hendrix and Tony Iommi can never be overrated. They did things nobody else was doing. They laid the groud for the guys doing the amazing things they are doing today. If not for those guys doing what they did, Misha (who makes my underrated list) would not be doing what he does. If any of you think guitar playing would have gone from simple 1 3 5 blues strumming to sweep picking without a few Jimmy Pages in between, you are crazy.

Quote by DRMguitar
Yes I am a nobody, but Slash is overrated. I don't need to be the greatest guitarist ever just to say that somebody isn't as good as everybody thinks he is. I work in a music shop, and when I hear someone play Sweet Child O Mine, it is just like Stairway to Heaven or Smoke On The Water. When someone tries to play it, it just seems like a "look at me" attempt.

Just for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfGNVS-ENzw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UoSFALriAE

me playing some of the songs you like

Slash is a great player... you dont need to be a guitarist to understand his playing is great.
Last edited by divinorum69 at Jul 17, 2013,
Quote by DRMguitar

Slash hates Sweet Child o' Mine. It was just an exercise that someone liked.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by DRMguitar

Underrated

Dimebag Darrell - Yes there are Dime fanboys that make him seem overrated. But he is really good. When I first heard Cowboys from Hell, I was like "Okay, Okay, oh my God, headbang!" Cemetery Gates? I think the intro riff thing is better than Stairway to Heaven! The solo on Floods is just, just, indescribable. But then other songs like I'm Broken, Mouth For War, 5 Minutes Alone, and more. He is just good. He had so much more to offer. Now there will never be Pantera reunions.

Dimebag? Underrated?

He's massively over-rated, what planet are you living on? Pretty much every 15 year old online sucks his dick...
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Here are a few more (still) inspirational guitar greats forgotten in the wasteland of time, therefore (today) underrated: "Fast" Eddie Clarke, Phil Campbell and Brian Robertson, from Motor Head. Of course, Ace of spades, but get a blast from Orgasmatron, and relive it, or experience it for the 1st time: Thanks.

http://www.tagtele.com/videos/voir/43474/

For your convenience
Metalmarcs
Last edited by Metalmarcs at Jul 18, 2013,
James mother****ing Murphy! Probably never even heard of him huh? I said I'd let you tards figure it out, but all your idols truly suck dicks
Page 1 of 2