Hello, all.

Right, I'm officially sick of my Floyd, and I'm looking to block it. I don't want to buy a new guitar, and I'm not a fan of the "chuck a piece of wood underneath it and hope for the best" idea.

However, I've found this on eBay.

What do you think? Will it work? Should I avoid it? Potential problems? I've been umming and ahhing for a while.

Thanks in advance.
...not really sure why you're against blocking it with wood. I don't see how its a "hope for the best" situation, its very effective if done properly, plus a tight fit will add mass to the bridge area and (arguably) give tonal benefits.

Make two pieces of solid hardwood to measure, one tall piece to go behind the block, one shallower piece to fit under the springs, job done. Doesn't involve modifying your guitar and doesn't cost anything.
Quote by MH400
Hello, all.

Right, I'm officially sick of my Floyd, and I'm looking to block it. I don't want to buy a new guitar, and I'm not a fan of the "chuck a piece of wood underneath it and hope for the best" idea.

However, I've found this on eBay.

What do you think? Will it work? Should I avoid it? Potential problems? I've been umming and ahhing for a while.

Thanks in advance.

Yes those work fine, you will still be able to do dive-bombs if you want also.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I used a piece of eraser. Gives you a nice sustain and you will still be able to do some slight vibrato with the whammy.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
Quote by henrihell
I used a piece of eraser. Gives you a nice sustain and you will still be able to do some slight vibrato with the whammy.

An eraser will dampen the sustain, not make it better
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Just don't get heavier gauge strings or you're screwed
'93 Gibson LP Studio (498T/490R)-Ebony
'14 Gibson LP Standard (JB/Jazz)-Ocean Water Perimeter
Epi MKH LP Custom-7 (SD Custom Shop JB-7)-Ebony
+More

Maxon od808|Boss NS-2|Boss CE-5|
Line6 G55|Korg Pitchblack Pro

JVM 210h|1960a(V30/G12t-75)
I"ve blocked all of my trems with wood and it is in no way shape or form hope for the best, it sits solid as a rock and since I've done it I've seen a dramatic increase in sustain and much better harmonics. It also makes it far easier to do vibrato with your fingers because the floyd isn't trying to pull up and down with the tension change.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
Last edited by Viban at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by Wesbanez
^ +1 anything else is over engineering a very simple problem with a less effective solution.

The Trem-stopper is the easiest way to block FR or any other trem. It requires 2 screws. Blocking with wood is easy if that person has the tools and the knowledge to do it which is not the case a lot of the time

I have installed the Trem-stopper from www.floydupgrades.com and every person has been extremely happy with the results and it literally takes 5 min to do
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I appreciate what you're saying Robb but its not hard to take some measurements to a wood yard/saw mill and say "I want this please" whilst handing over some loose change.
Quote by Wesbanez
I appreciate what you're saying Robb but its not hard to take some measurements to a wood yard/saw mill and say "I want this please" whilst handing over some loose change.

yeah I know, but there are many areas where that is pretty hard to find.

I was just letting the TS know they are a viable option that are easy to install and set-up
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
You don't really even need to do that, just go to menards and buy a piece of 1X3 and some sandpaper, and a basic hacksaw if you don't have one. With a little elbow grease from the sandpaper to make the wood the proper thickness it shouldn't take too long at all.

I will however concede that trem stoppers require less work to install and offer the same rigidity.

It really comes down to how much you're willing to pay.
Quote by R45VT
Bastards.
I just bought a wooden shim from the dollar store, cut it to fit behind the metal block of the floyd and slide it underneath the springs. Still dives, comes back perfect each time, no hassles, no drilling, and completely removable in under a minute. Ive done it to all my guitars with Floyds and it makes it so easy to use, doesnt go out of tune and the sustain isnt affected at all, if anything it helps it out!