Probably major or minor, maybe with a few chromatic notes.

Point is, it doesn't matter. Learning scales won't help you get this kind of sound, or any sound in my opinion. Learn to use your ears and play what you want to hear instead of relying on scales, cause then most of the time the instrument will play you, and you won't play the music.

This video contains some of the best advice for guitarplayers ever. Listen to tip number 2, "tricks and patterns" in my opinion learning scales in many ways fits in there. I am not saying "do not learn scales", i am saying find the sound you want first on your instrument, and then find the name if you have to. Your ears man, best thing you have when it comes to music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSWVCuk6V6k
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Last edited by Sickz at Jun 13, 2013,
Quote by Leather Sleeves
Learning the scales is one part of it though, so it's not a waste of time.

I think you missunderstood me, as said, i don't think learning scales is a waste of time, i just believe you should have the sound before you learn the name. Learning scales just for the sake of learning scales is stupid.

For example, i played what most people call the phrygian dominant scale a lot in my playing when i was in a certain band playing lead, cause it did fit very well with the sound of what the bass/keyboard and other guitarist were doing. I didn't know it was called phrygian dominant back then, i just listened to the backing comp and began to think about and try out sounds that would fit with it. Much later i found out that almost all the solos i played in that band was in phrygian dominant/harmonic minor.

So back to my point. Learning scales just for learning scales is stupid (in my opinion). Learn to find the sound first and then if you feel the need to, find out what it's called.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."