Not sure if this is the right place to ask but, im having a problem with noise in my amp and i don't know anything about electronics. Everytime i go to jam with some friends and i turn the amp up loud enough to hear it over the drums, when im not playing i get a screeching loud, deafening, squeel out of my amp.

I've tried using different cords but the only way to stop the noise is to either play or turn down the volume pot on the guitar. So my question is, is this normal (i didnt think so) ? If not, then how do i stop it? Im not sure whether its just my single coil pickups or something wrong with my equipment.

its a Tele through a Fender Mustang amp, the only effects i have on are the ones i put on the amp from the Fender Fuse site, could the order in which i put the effects on the amp have anything to do with it?

any advice would be much appreciated, thanks!!
It's called feedback and there's very little you can do about it. It happens in pretty much every guitar if it's turned up too loud; it's the same thing as when you hold a microphone too close to speakers.

Try moving a bit further away from your amp... Also if you mute the strings with one hand when you're not playing it shouldn't happen.
Have you tried another guitar? Do this first and see if the problem is still there.

Can you try your guitar in another amp?
will the sound go away if you mute the strings/touch the bridge?
How loud and how much gain are you using?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Jun 13, 2013,
i havent tried another guitar, but when i use my hand to try and mute the strings, i still get the noise
i put the gain on the amp all the way up, plus a distortion pedal is loaded on the amp from the Fuse website, i crank that up a little over halfway
Maybe the guitar grounding is not done right ? Try with another guitar
Just because you're paranoid , don't mean they're not after you !
Quote by jake2412
i put the gain on the amp all the way up, plus a distortion pedal is loaded on the amp from the Fuse website, i crank that up a little over halfway

If the OD pedal is not in the signal path does it still happen?

It sounds like your getting massive feedback because of the pedal
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate