I want to connect my marshall mg10cd combo amp to my pc. Im going to use the amps emulated line out to connect it to the sound cards line in.

I dont know what kind of cable I should use though. Is it safe to use an instrument cable between the amp and sound card? Do I need a speaker cable?

The whole point is simply to get the full guitar signal into the pc so I can use amp sims, im not interested whatsoever in the tone of the mg10cd or its cab.

I have no money for an audio interface or di box.

So does a line level signal need a special cable? The sound cards line in is a 3.5mm jack.

I just dont want to fry anything.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Go read the interfaces sticky in the Recordings forum.

It will tell you everything you need to know.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I don't think it's possible to directly jack your amp into the PC without an audio interface. And with an audio interface, the amp is unnecessary if you want to use sims. Just my two cents.
audio interfaces exist because regular sound cards don't work for recording.

furthermore, emulated out into amp sims will sound horrible. amp sims are designed to take guitar signal. just like amps.
:: Peavey JSX | XXX ::
:: LTD V | Viper | AX [EMG85] ::
:: Vader 2x12 | Krankenstein 4x12 ::
:: G50 | DecimatorG-String | 95Q ::
:: Polytune | Ditto | CarbonCopy ::