Hello, I am an aspiring guitar player who needs advice on a good starting electric guitar. I've educated myself via these forums but still need input. Here's the thing - I am getting a modeling amp as I live in an apartment and need to practice silently with headphones at all times (based on advice I received in a different thread, probably a Line6 X3 or Line6 HD 300, leaning toward the HD 300). I understand that the amp is much more important to tone than the guitar, but I need advice on which guitar makes sense with a Line6 modeling amp given that I can't buy a "real" amp.

Budget for Guitar: $200-300. If there's a significant quality difference, I am willing to go up to $350 or even $400, but I'd prefer to keep it at $300.

Current amp/guitar: None.

Styles of music I plan to play: Blues, rock/hard rock to start, hopefully classic and thrash metal as I improve.

Experience: Next to none. I had a cheap, shitty acoustic guitar I messed around with for a few weeks not too far back but that's about it. I do know how to read music and I am familiar with music terminology.

Favorite Artists:
Older stuff: Jimi Hendrix, Rush, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC... more of the well-known stuff since I didn't grow up in these eras.
Metal: Iron Maiden (favorite), Accept, Priest, Overkill, Metal Church, Kreator, Annihilator, Testament, Megadeth, Dark Angel, a bunch of other classic/thrash bands (you get the point)

Favorite Guitarist: Probably Dave Murray of Iron Maiden - I'm a huge fan of his bluesy guitar tone and legato style of playing - would like a guitar that sounds similar to his tone.

Other guitarists: Hendrix, Jeff Loomis, Dave Mustaine, Marty Friedman, Jeff Waters, Alex Skolnick, basically any guitarist that can kick some serious ass

Pickups: Based on what I've read, I'd like a HSH or HSS configuration. I want a guitar that is compatible with great blues tones, yet can also crank out some classic metal tones. I don't plan on shredding right now.

New or Used?: Willing to buy used.

Location: Brookline, Massachusetts, literally steps outside of Boston. There's a Guitar Center (on Boylston St) within a 15 minute walking distance, but I'd much prefer to buy directly from a person or an independently run business if possible.

I've read good things about the Yamaha Pacifica 112 and some mixed things about the Squier Stratocaster, but I'm certainly open to suggestions. I'd appreciate any/all feedback. Thanks in advance.

-Scott
yeah i reckon an HSS or HSH superstrat would work pretty well.

Murray uses the neck pickup a lot for solos; conversely a neck single coil is (arguably) better for those bluesier tones.

It's really up to you. I've been playing for around 12 years now and I still can't decide whether I prefer HSS or HSH, lol. FWIW most players seem to prefer HSS, but then again I strongly suspect that's their anti-80s bias coming in, a lot of the time.

the pacifica 112 is hard to beat. that's not to say that you can't find better, or might not find a deal on a normally-more-expensive guitar, but the 112 is a good, always-available choice which you won't go far wrong with.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I'm going to pick up the Pacifica 112.

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to get the 112J or the 112V. Been reading up on the differences and can't really gauge whether the $100 difference is worth it. Any thoughts?

Another thing that concerns me is the tremolo - I'm unsure of the quality and I read in the sticky that cheaper ones easily go out of tune. I suppose I could avoid using it.
Last edited by cwdsi at Jun 13, 2013,
The Pacifica is a good choice, but I'm not thrilled with the trems on them. I always found them a little dicky
Quote by cwdsi
Thanks for the feedback, greatly appreciated. I'm going to pick up the Pacifica 112.

Now it's just a matter of deciding whether to get the 112J or the 112V. Been reading up on the differences and can't really gauge whether the $100 difference is worth it. Any thoughts?

Another thing that concerns me is the tremolo - I'm unsure of the quality and I read in the sticky that cheaper ones easily go out of tune. I suppose I could avoid using it.

yeah- just to clarify, when i said "murray uses the neck pickup", I meant to say "neck humbucker"

Far as i'm aware, the V is a newer, very slightly upgraded version. It has a coil split on the bridge pickup, so you have access to a couple of extra tones. It also has a slightly nicer (YMMV ) looking pickguard shape taken from the dearer pacificas. Worth an extra $100? Probably not... unless you really like the better cosmetics etc. and realise you're paying extra money for not that much.

I've never really used the trem on them, shops normally take the trem bar away when they're hanging on the wall

as you said, though, at least with those vintage-style trems you can just not use them or screw them tight to the top of the guitar. if you really cared you could probably upgrade the trem (the wilkinson wv6sb is pretty nice and not much money... assuming it's a direct swap, which it might not be) for not too much (and it'd arguably be a better use of your $100 doing that, and maybe fitting some locking tuners, or better pickups, than spending it on the V version).

basically... the V version is slightly better and cooler out of the box if you're not willing to upgrade it. if you think you might upgrade it at some point, and saving that $100 would allow you to upgrade it sooner, then the J would make more sense.

If you can try a bunch first, though, one might stand out as being better and if so, that'd be the one to go for.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I got impatient and ordered the 112 V last night, I read somewhere that the pickups were different (better?) than the J.

Oh well, I still appreciate your feedback. Thanks again.
no problem.

yeah i mean it is slightly better (or at least has slightly more features) than the J. It's just whether those extras are worth the $100.

I mean at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, $100 isn't that much compared to what you'll (probably) spend on guitar stuff later. FWIW i prefer the look of the V The irony is i'm grappling with whether or not it's worth the extra $100 for some (possibly useful) extra features while i'd be perfectly satisfied had you just said you liked the look of it better.

GAS doesn't have to make sense, lol.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 14, 2013,
Congrats on your Pacifica -- they are great starter guitars. I started on one, and still keep it out of nostalgia.
Good choice on the pacifica, really hard to beat price wise or twice the price. Have fun with your new rig.