Hi, i have been thinking about getting the zoom r24 to record my band and later mix it in my daw (reaper). So here is the questions:
1. Can i record multiple takes on a track and it will save as a single wav file, so if my drummer does a mistake, we dont have to re-track the whole song? Can you also remove the end of the song where did the certain mistake?
2. How is the drum samples on the unit? Can i make drums myself on the unit without having to play real drums/ electronic kit?
3. Can i use it as a sampler live with an electronic drumkit for example. Does it work to trigger the korg with a midi keyboard for example?
4. When plugging into a computer, you get several options before its used as an interface. Can you make it act as a interface by default, so you dont have to choose each time you plug it into a computer?
5. As for the metronome on the unit, what do you do when there is tempo/ time sig changes in a song?
6. Is it possible to mix and master a song on the unit itself and make it sound good if you got some mixing skills?
Thank you
1 - Yes. It's standard functionality on all multitrackers to be able to set punch in & out points so you can correct a mistake without re-recording the whole track.

2 - The drum samples included are pretty good. They're basically the same as I have on my Zoom RT-323 drum machine, although the R series is more recent & has a few more programmed rhythms/kits etc. All the tracks loaded to my profile have the drums programmed using it so you'll be able to hear an example of what it can do.

3 - Doubtful.

4 - Don't know for sure, but I'd be amazed if you can't set defaults.

5 - You'd have to read the manual to find out about this. The actual drum machine can certainly change tempo mid-song, but I don't know how much effort they put into the basic metronome.

6 - Yes, I believe you can mix & master on the unit itself, although it's designed to use software for mixing & mastering so you'll be able to get better results hooking up to your PC. Making it sound good if you've got some skills though...that's a big question. 'Good' is very subjective and skills take a long time to develop.

On the whole, Zoom's R series is an excellent choice for getting into recording. They can do everything most people will need them to and provide a great compromise between the two main DAW choices (multitracker or PC/interface/software). Make sure you buy the right one though:
  • If you're thinking of recording an actual drummer, or if you think you'll need to record a whole band, you'll want the 16 or 24 - the R8 doesn't have as many inputs.
  • If you're going to need the built in drum machine, don't get the R16. Unless they've updated the spec in the last few months (I haven't looked them up for a while) the drum machine was only included on the R8 & R24.

For my money, that makes the R24 the most sensible option possible.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
One note on the R16/R24 - they're extremely cool/handy bits of kit but if you think there's any chance you might at any point want to record more than 8 tracks at once, think carefully. The only way to get additional inputs is to buy another R16/R24 and synchronise them, otherwise you're stuck with 8 at once.

In contrast, most 8-input audio interfaces typically have ADAT or some form of digital I/O giving you an extra 8+ tracks...ADAT hardware is very common and easy to find cheap/used.
Quote by GaryBillington
1 - Yes. It's standard functionality on all multitrackers to be able to set punch in & out points so you can correct a mistake without re-recording the whole track.

2 - The drum samples included are pretty good. They're basically the same as I have on my Zoom RT-323 drum machine, although the R series is more recent & has a few more programmed rhythms/kits etc. All the tracks loaded to my profile have the drums programmed using it so you'll be able to hear an example of what it can do.

3 - Doubtful.

4 - Don't know for sure, but I'd be amazed if you can't set defaults.

5 - You'd have to read the manual to find out about this. The actual drum machine can certainly change tempo mid-song, but I don't know how much effort they put into the basic metronome.

6 - Yes, I believe you can mix & master on the unit itself, although it's designed to use software for mixing & mastering so you'll be able to get better results hooking up to your PC. Making it sound good if you've got some skills though...that's a big question. 'Good' is very subjective and skills take a long time to develop.

On the whole, Zoom's R series is an excellent choice for getting into recording. They can do everything most people will need them to and provide a great compromise between the two main DAW choices (multitracker or PC/interface/software). Make sure you buy the right one though:
  • If you're thinking of recording an actual drummer, or if you think you'll need to record a whole band, you'll want the 16 or 24 - the R8 doesn't have as many inputs.
  • If you're going to need the built in drum machine, don't get the R16. Unless they've updated the spec in the last few months (I haven't looked them up for a while) the drum machine was only included on the R8 & R24.

For my money, that makes the R24 the most sensible option possible.

Hi there, you say the R24 can change tempo mid-song. I'm struggling to achieve this - any chance you could help me out?
Thanks
Quote by chrisflyswatter
Hi there, you say the R24 can change tempo mid-song. I'm struggling to achieve this - any chance you could help me out?
Thanks

Do you have a copy of the manual? That's the detailed manual for the in-built functions, not the manual that shows how to use it with CuBase. If not, you can download one here:
http://www.zoom.co.jp/downloads/r24/software/
There's a link to both the Operation manual and the Audio Interface manual there.

The section you want starts on page 65 of the Operation manual. You basically set a point in the song where you want the tempo to change, and tell it the tempo you need. If you're still struggling, it's possibly worth downloading a manual for the Zoom Rt-323. That's a dedicated drum machine which I believe uses the same controls, the manual is a bit more in-depth as the drums are it's main function whereas in the R24 they're more of an added bonus.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yes you can master a 24 track mix to sound great. The interface with the sliders on 3 banks of tracks is a bit fiddly but you get used to it. But its very easy to transfer the files to a daw and use the R24 as a control surface mixer as a Mackie controller to operate the daws sliders. Much let hassle than a mouse.
My gastronomic rapacity knows no satiety.