I dig LiveWire cables because if one ever dies on you Guitar Center will replace it no questions asked.
Don't get caught in the hype of "oxygen free this" and "time aligned that." There's a lot of marketing hype and snake oil in cable sales out there.

Live Wire, Mogami and Monster (if you can get them on sale) are good cables. Just avoid the house brands, like Musician's Friend and others - they'll cause you nothing but trouble and you'll be hating life.

Note: Even though I recomended avoiding marketing hype, then suggested Monster... they aren't bad cables IF you buy them on sale. If you pay full price for a Monster and believe the hype, consider yourself warned.
Planet Waves American Stage is the single greatest cable I've ever used going into my pedal board, out of that I use a monster cable. I completely agree with KG6_Steven, monster cables are great on sale, I might even say they are good at full price, simply because of their fantastic warranty.
I think XLR cables are the best for acoustic guitars because you can hook them to a lot more then just a amp that's why i think XLR cables are the best way to go.
Ryan Hudak
Quote by MusicMinistry
I think XLR cables are the best for acoustic guitars because you can hook them to a lot more then just a amp that's why i think XLR cables are the best way to go.

I haven't seen any guitars that will accept an XLR cable and there aren't too many that will really use a TRS. Which guitar(s) will accept an XLR?
Quote by D_M_I
Learn how to solder and make your own.

That really is the answer. Buy a 250' roll of bulk cable from Monoprice and some connectors and make your own. When I put in my home studio, that's the route I went. With the prices of cables, I couldn't afford to drop a few thousand in already built cables. It was a heck of a lot cheaper making my own. I'm an electronics tech, so the choice was easy.

If you don't know how to solder and only need a few cables, it's probably cheaper and less frustrating to buy them already made.
Quote by KG6_Steven
I haven't seen any guitars that will accept an XLR cable and there aren't too many that will really use a TRS. Which guitar(s) will accept an XLR?

Varying Acoustic/Electric guitars will have XLR outputs. It's not common, but it's out there, depending on the preamp. I've seen them on Ibanez's and one or two taylors, I think.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
From my experience monster makes a horrible, overpriced product. They have to offer a good warranty, a cable company that makes cables that only last for 1-3 months can't stay in business without. I've had much better luck with Live Wire.
My Washburn Oscar Schmidt has XLR out.
Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion
Quote by lucky1978
From my experience monster makes a horrible, overpriced product. They have to offer a good warranty, a cable company that makes cables that only last for 1-3 months can't stay in business without. I've had much better luck with Live Wire.

Out of the monster and live wire cables I've owned, the monsters have held up. I've broken 2 or 3 live wire cables. It's weird how everyone can have such varying experiences. I say just go for lifetime warranty stuff and then reliability doesn't matter quite so much.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Ya. Go for the warranty.

With monsters, just walk into a store that sells them with the busted one (any store) and swap it out - no receipt - no questions.

Same with Livewires, but only at GC.

Planet Waves have a lifetime warranty, but you have to mail them in - not convenient in a pinch.

I like Monsters because the connectors are solid. Some like the connectors that screw apart so they can fix them...but that's moot when you have a lifetime guarantee.
Quote by ibanezguitars44
Out of the monster and live wire cables I've owned, the monsters have held up. I've broken 2 or 3 live wire cables. It's weird how everyone can have such varying experiences. I say just go for lifetime warranty stuff and then reliability doesn't matter quite so much.

I've had friends tell me that and I do have one that's held up pretty well but there was a time when I had to replace my (monster) cables almost as often as strings. The last time I took one back the guy gave me Live Wire instead and it worked out fine so I've used them since. Coincedently, I have a Live Wire cable to return now. But I'm almost positive its the first one I got in exchange for the monster cable, and I think that was around 2007.
Mogami cables are great. They're pretty expensive, but they have a lifetime warranty. Any cable with that sort of guarantee must be alright.
( XLR ) cables are the best way to go because off you can hook them to so many thing's unlike a guitar cable you can just hook it to a few thing's
Ryan Hudak
I only use Dimarzios for the main leads.

Not horridly expensive, very low loss and they cop an absolute beating and ask for more.

Patch / pedal leads I make myself.
'It takes 100 guitar players to change a light. One to change the light and 99 to stand around pointing, saying..."Yeah man, look...I can do that too"...'

My gear is in my Profile

Builds & Refurbs
Hondo 780 Deluxe
Gibson Studio
Epi LP100
Quote by lucky1978
I've had friends tell me that and I do have one that's held up pretty well but there was a time when I had to replace my (monster) cables almost as often as strings. The last time I took one back the guy gave me Live Wire instead and it worked out fine so I've used them since. Coincedently, I have a Live Wire cable to return now. But I'm almost positive its the first one I got in exchange for the monster cable, and I think that was around 2007.

Nothing wrong with live wire. I have 5 monster cables and a few live wire. Never an issue with either. More places carry Monster so I have more of them should i run into a problem.

As stated above avoid the house cables. They have poor shielding that introduces crazy noise similar to a bad ground connection in your guitar.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Lately I've been comparing Monster to Mogami. Both sound the same, the Monster is chunkier but the Mogami tangles less. If you move around a lot, go for Mogami.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification