Hi, I just purchased a new PRS Orianthi signature guitar and am currently in the process of having it setup. However, before I took it in to get it set up i tested it out and noticed that my strings weren't staying in tune for very long (yes i took the time to stretch them). Anyway I took it back to the store where I bought it and asked to have it set up and i put emphasis on tuning stability when i talked to the tech.

Now, I mostly play heavy metal and hard rock (Metallica, Alexisonfire, Dream Theater, Maiden) but i don't use the tremolo system very much, if at all, but i do bend strings quite a bit and while I was testing out my new guitar i noticed i couldn't bend very much before the strings went out of tune.

So my question is this, although I am getting my guitar set up properly and I expect the tuning stability to be much better after it has been inspected, if the tuning stability is still not to my liking should i look into purchasing locking tuners and would it make a difference? The locking tuners i am looking at right now are Schallers as well as PRS phase II's.

Any other locking tuner suggestions are welcome

Thanks!!
Last edited by The Rev19 at Jun 13, 2013,
I've got Grover lockers on my tele and they're fantastic. No extra knobs to lock the string, they lock automatically. Really nifty system. 18:1 turn ratio so really nice to tune with. They look like normal tuners too.
Grover ftw.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ya, you need to learn to wrap like in Nakedintherain's post. That method locks your strings. That being said, I have Planet Waves and Grover locking tuners on my guitars. They are both great, but the Planet Waves are better. They have a better ratio 18:1, and they auto-snip the excess.
Quote by Cathbard
I've got Grover lockers on my tele and they're fantastic. No extra knobs to lock the string, they lock automatically. Really nifty system. 18:1 turn ratio so really nice to tune with. They look like normal tuners too.
Grover ftw.

Seriously, the only reason I haven't replaced the schallers on my JP6 with the grovers is because the Schallers have the sweet pearl buttons, and the big tuner is part of the JP look.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I'm really getting to like Grovers in general. I put normal ones on my Yamaha SG and they're great too. That guitar holds tune so well it's frightening.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for all the input guys, i really appreciate it, I also forgot to mention that in addition to bending i hit my strings pretty hard especially when playing power chords and palm muting which as you all know can throw a guitar out of tune pretty fast, would locking tuners also help in this regard (assuming the guitar and nut are set up properly?
I don't think it makes that much difference compared to tying off the string properly. What I like about them is the speed of string changes. I play pub rock (ala early ACDC), punk and Gary Moore stuff so I'm slamming the strings and bending the crap out of them and the standard Grovers on the Yammy hold tune unbelievably well. If I was replacing them today I'd go for the lockers but not because I think they'd hold tune better.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Hmm hopefully it is something simple in the setup that will get fixed. Given that it is affecting all your strings I don't think it is the tuners, I have non locking tuners SE tuners and they stay in tune well. For locking tuners, I can't give insight about the phase II's though I'm sure they are good but I have phase III's and I approve.
Also, since it is the Orianthi guitar, its an SE, correct? If so, the nut work isn't very good, at least not on my custom 24 and single cut SE's. Slots are too deep. Try tying/clamping off the string and then have a nice grpahite or tusq nut installed before you drop money on the tuners. You could have locking tuners and still have issues with the nut.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
It's probably your bridge, if you don't use the vibrato then block it. That will help you stay in tune immensely.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.