Poll: Do you listen to the silence or skip to find the hidden track?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you listen to the silence or skip to find the hidden track?
Yes
11 14%
I listen to the silence
24 32%
I skip the silence
27 36%
hidden tracks are pleb
14 18%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 2
do you guys listen to the silence inbetween or do you skip until you find the hidden track?

I wonder if there's actually people who listen to the silence here
I usually skip, but sometimes its nice when you forget about your music and the silence just goes on, until BAM! Hidden song.
When I'm listening to the album for the first time, I go on Wikipedia and check if it's really long. If it is, I skip to just a few seconds before it. If it's not, I just listen. I tend to skip it in subsequent listens if I can be bothered to.

EDIT: ^That happens to me too. Tends to happen with Kid A.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jun 13, 2013,
I like what Tool did with Lateralus.

They added the silence at the end of the "final track" and had the "hidden track" be an actual 13th track.

Same experience, listening to the album, much less of an annoyance to the consumer. Which is pretty weird, Tool thinking about their listeners.
I remember it happening when me and my band members listened to our own album once, that was hilarious. We completely forgot about the hidden track.

If it`s not that long of a time for hidden tracks (Example would be Songs for the Deaf) I wait it out. But if it is like 5 minutes i skip until i find it
Quote by jetfuel495
i open the track up in an audio editor, trim out the ten minutes of silence (or whatever the artist is trying to pull), leave a good few seconds gap, and export the track so I never have to deal with that bullshit

This.

I was never a fan of hidden tracks in the first place. I'm never sure why would an artist opt to do it. If you add a track for it, okay I guess, but still pointless. The silence is simply annoying though.
20 minutes of silence made the surprise at the end of Sticks and Stones all the better.
I think the silence is pretty dumb. I also dislike when they'll do the long atmospheric effects for the most part at the end of songs. I feel bad about skipping it but usually they don't actually add anything.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I usually don't listen to artists who are that gigantically full of themselves anymore, but when I do I do this
Quote by jetfuel495
i open the track up in an audio editor, trim out the ten minutes of silence (or whatever the artist is trying to pull), leave a good few seconds gap, and export the track so I never have to deal with that bullshit
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by jetfuel495

This.
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
Best example I can find is of Matchbox Twenties Mad Season album. Their last song "Won't be Mine", not exactly a hidden track but a hidden ending.

The song features a lot of violins and such, the song ends but then after about 3 minutes their will be a cool solo orchestra sequence.

Its all good though because the song is at the end of the album, and its a good song to fall asleep to.
Quote by jetfuel495

This.

Quote by Nero Galon
Matchbox Twenties Mad Season

I like you.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Last edited by stratman_13 at Jun 13, 2013,
the first time i listened to nevermind when i was like 11 or something i didn't know hidden tracks were a thing.. when endless nameless came on it scared the **** outta me.

I don't like to disturb the vibe of the cd so I usually listen to the silence leading up to the hidden song, with the exception being Nevermind. Every friggin' time Endless Nameless comes on after the few minutes of silence or so, it comes on outta nowhere and scares the shit outta me
Quote by naedauuf
Shit working 24 hours a week at $12 an hour makes me rich?

BOW BEFORE ME PEASANTS.
Depends on how long the silence is. With Cage The Elephant and the alternate version of Right Before My Eyes, I just let that shit go, it's only like 30 seconds of silence between Flow and that.

With Mastodon and the Josh Homme thing at the end of Blood Mountain (if you want to count that), I cut out the silence. It's not worth waiting 15 minutes to hear Josh Homme screw with Mastodon for 15 seconds, as much as I love Mastodon and think Homme is cool.
i pirate it and hope the person that made the folder was cool enough to add the hidden track
you're a stone fox
Definitely depends on how long the silence is. If it's over four minutes then **** that.

I guess it depends on the album too. If it's a band like Tool that I normally listen to each album all the way through, then I probably won't skip it.
I skip like a boss.

Quote by seventh_angel
This.

I was never a fan of hidden tracks in the first place. I'm never sure why would an artist opt to do it. If you add a track for it, okay I guess, but still pointless. The silence is simply annoying though.

Who the **** are you and how and when are/were you green?
On first listen I do this
Quote by rolling_stoned
I don't like to disturb the vibe of the cd so I usually listen to the silence leading up to the hidden song...

Then I do this
Quote by jetfuel495
i open the track up in an audio editor, trim out the ten minutes of silence... so I never have to deal with that bullshit

and leave about 30 seconds/a minute of silence.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I also dislike when they'll do the long atmospheric effects for the most part at the end of songs. I feel bad about skipping it but usually they don't actually add anything.

That's going too far.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Hidden tracks are just..... Worthless
Everybody Dies
Ignorance is NOT just what you DO NOT know but what you WILL NOT know

MY Soundcloud
Tears for toda la alegría que teníamos
Tears for todo el dolor
Las lágrimas de invierno que llevan dentro
Siempre gritar tu nombre
Estas lágrimas de invierno , voy a llorar por ti
Estas lágrimas de invierno , son solamente para usted
Quote by allouttatalent
I usually skip, but sometimes its nice when you forget about your music and the silence just goes on, until BAM! Hidden song.

+1
banned
The only times I actually listen to the hidden tracks are when I'm doing something else and forget it's at the end of the album.

Or when it's This Time Imperfect by AFI. Best hidden track ever.
I usually just pretend the song doesn't exist.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by jetfuel495

This. I'm surprised people still put in effort to skip the silence and stuff.

Quote by Bob_Sacamano
I think the silence is pretty dumb. I also dislike when they'll do the long atmospheric effects for the most part at the end of songs. I feel bad about skipping it but usually they don't actually add anything.

You mean like the bullshit wankery in Misunderstood by Dream Theater that starts at 6:30?

The first minute I like, because it still adds to the song, but about 8:15 onwards it's like they decided to add in shit to see how long they could prolong the song without it being too much.
Last edited by triface at Jun 14, 2013,
No idea what you're talking about. If a CD says it has 10 or 11 songs it better damn well have 10 or 11 songs. I've seen the words "Bonus Track" to make 12 or 13, but never a "hidden" track.

Sounds like another idiotic marketing scheme designed to be hip/retro/cool/whatever.

I also hate when songs on Youtube are 6 minutes long, but only play actual music for 3-5 minutes...
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
The only silence I'll listen to is Radiohead's Motion Picture Soundtrack because it's short and it works
Everything else I skip it or cut it out
F ck the silence. If I know theres a hidden track I just want the song and not the white noise kr whatever other crap t hey have filling the time.
Some people just wanna watch the world burn. Wanna join me when I take my turn to pour the gas, light the match, see your world flip upside down and drop until it's inside out?
I remember wandering around town with my CD player when I was a kid listening to Life is Peachy. Finished the album, and didn't think about it - suddenly the vocal only version of Twist comes blasting through my headphones and I damn near shit my pants.

But to answer the question - edit it out or skip that shit.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
If i'm listening to music as kind of background noise, then i usually just let the silence ring out without realising it, but if i'm concentrating on the music, i usually skip the silence.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
listen to the silence of course, it's a beautiful beautiful thing
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
Quote by jetfuel495

This is the first step towards wisdom

The best hidden tracks are simply added at a high track number so that way you don't have to do that
I have nothing important to say
The answer "Yes" made my day.
Good old Pete. Isn't he too old to masturbate? - Pete Townshend
Don't mind your make-up, you better make your mind up. - Frank Zappa
Page 1 of 2