so im still kinda of a newb (1 and a half years) but i cant help but notice that i sound really twangy you know like a banjo, anyways especially the faster i play the worst it gets I have tried changing EQ settings and guitars its even bad in a scooped sound so i guess its me technique do yall have any ideas what it could be?
How far down do you pick on the guitar? Is your treble spiked? Try increasing the mids in your EQ and if necessary, roll the twang back a bit. If those do nothing, it may just be your amp.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I'm holding the pick about half a inch from the bridge pick up, but I feel kinda dumb yah my tone nob is fully open but it still does in the neck pups to
You naturally play with your pick 1-2cm's away from the bridge? I've never seen any guitar player play like that. The only time I'll pick there is in certain situations when playing acoustic so i get that distinct sound. i would NEVER pick that close to the bridge on an electric.
Quote by andreww1996
I'm holding the pick about half a inch from the bridge pick up, but I feel kinda dumb yah my tone nob is fully open but it still does in the neck pups to

As mentioned, it's mostly due to where you're actually picking on your electric. Try picking right in between the bridge and neck pickup and notice how it changes the tone. The strings are under the most tension near the bridge and nut, so naturally the sound is more twangy and bell like in those areas. Playing closer to the middle will even it out and make it sound much warmer.
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
I'm using a Ibanez RG 120 and a epiphone les Paul coustom threw a kuostom wav210. The bridge distance makes sense because when I'm strumming chords I'm almost on the neck pickup and I can't here the twang
Could be all manner of tone related problems, but I would assume that you might be picking the guitar strings a bit too hard with the plectrum.
Using guitar picks that are too thin also causes clatter and twang. Try some finger picking just for comparison's sake.

You probably need to make several adjustments. I doubt this can be sorted out with just one thing changed.

But still, moving your pick hand away from the bridge is likely the best place to start.

Try to imagine a clothes line stretched tight between two poles. If you pull it in the center, it will move quite a bit. Those long motions would be comparable to bass being produced. As you got closer to either pole, but still applied the same amount of force, the rope would only move a small distance. The small distance equates to treble being produced.

Oh yeah before I forget, maybe crank the reverb down some too.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 15, 2013,
Quote by andreww1996
The bridge distance makes sense because when I'm strumming chords I'm almost on the neck pickup and I can't here the twang

And here's the problem right here. Adjust your picking style so you're picking in between both pickups.
Skip the username, call me Billy