I'm currently running my 6505 into an avatar 212 with a v30 and a g12h30. I am having a problem getting a sound I like because it seems to me like there is too much high end. Even with the treble down all the way, my tone directly in front of the cab seems very harsh.

I am wondering what my best options are. I am considering either replacing the G12h30 with a second v30 speaker or getting a new cab entirely. Else, I will probably shell out for a mesa 412.

I can sort of EQ out the harsh highs with my 10 band, but the underlying problem seems to still be there. Maybe I am just being to picky as the tone directly off the front of the cab will be very bright, but I need more opinions before I start sinking money into my tone.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
I like the G12H30 more than the Vintage 30 personally.

Is this cab still pretty new? Or has it been broken in for a good 20-30 hours of good use? I'm not a super big fan of Vintage 30s so getting another one of those would not be my choice. They certainly have tons of fans and killer recorded tones so maybe don't listen to me. Also, you realize your cab is running at 60 ohms right?

All I can tell you is that when I had Avatar 212 Traditional I had a G12H30 and a Classic Lead 80 and I had boat loads of low end. Too much treble was not a problem at all.
The cab has plenty of hours for the speakers to be broken in. One of the reasons I want to upgrade is to bump up the wattage or get something with higher wattage to begin with before I blow stuff up.

I have an avatar contemporary by the way. My tone sounds good behind or to the side of the cab, but too harsh head on. I realize this happens with all speakers but in situations where I'm not micing I don't want to blast the audience with high end.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Well, your wattage situation is a good enough reason to do something different - especially if you are gigging. You have a 120 watt amp going into a 60 watt cab. Ooops. I realized I just typed 60 ohms up above. 60 watts. You knew what I meant. You want that to match or be higher than amp. Two Vintage 30s would def fix that problem but I always hear of people complaining about the ice picky highs. Maybe consider a WGS Vet 30.

Get gumbilicious in here - I'll bet he'll have the right answer.
I have a Vet30 and a swamp thang in my 2x12. Great combo, however I didn't experiment too much with it.

V30's are pretty harsh on the high end. They are magical with the 6505, not sure on the + but they aren't too different.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Do you have tubes pulled on your 6505? Wouldn't a V30/G12H30 cab be a 60W cab?

Anyway consider a pair of WGS Veteran 30s, or a Vet 30 & a Reaper HP.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I realize this happens with all speakers but in situations where I'm not micing I don't want to blast the audience with high end.

Lay the cab down on its back so the speakers are facing the sky.

You can thank me later for saving you cash.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
K-100. They mix great with v30's or better with. I have 10. Two full 4x12's and two more blended with V30's. Most of mine are the brittish k85s which are hardly distinguishable.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by TremontiAddict
Lay the cab down on its back so the speakers are facing the sky.

You can thank me later for saving you cash.

Then how would you plug it in if the jack is against the floor?

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by jthm_guitarist
Then how would you plug it in if the jack is against the floor?

This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
I found my mesa 212 with v30s to be a little o the trebel side as well, so I ended up replacing one of the speakers with a eminence c-rex.

I find that the c-rex is a great speaker to round out the terbel side of any amp. It also has a great bass response.

Another option would be to go with eminence v12's. They are very similar to the v30's, but I just find them to be smoother.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
i'd just swap the g12h30 for a classic lead, g12t75 or (i haven't tried this one) g12k100.

the v30 has loads of upper mids but its highs are actually rolled off. so not sure what's going on there. you're sure it's broken in? (I know you said it was but it doesn't hurt to check)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?