Finally got some extra cash saved up so I am now looking to buy and electric guitar to go with my acoustic one I purchased a few weeks ago.

Budget: <$500 for everything

Favorite Artists: Great White, Cinderella, White Lion, Whitesnake, Van Halen, Kix, Judas Priest, Motley Crue, Queensryche. I am a really big fan of the 80's to early 90's hair metal. Not the screaming type though.

Preferences: Really don't have any because I have not purchased anything yet. Enough frets to play all the songs of the bands above.

Pickup's:I have no idea what these are, but I would assume you would be able to tell me if I need them or not.

New or Used: Definitely new. I have a few music shops around me.

Location:About 3 hours south of Calgary, Alberta. So a lot is available to me in a short day trip if it is really worth it.

Current Gear:Only a Boss Chromatic Tuner which I use for my acoustic guitar. So I need everything.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Sub $500 for an amp and guitar may be tough indeed. Especially if you are determined to go new. I'd maybe suggest one of the smaller Peavey Vypyrs and a Squier CV strat or something. Dunno how that goes with your budget though.
I'd suggest you save up a bit more. Save up to $750-800, and then you can get yourself a decent guitar, and a good amp that will both last you a good while. As @telemetal said, sub-$500 is tough, and if you go new, you'll regret it because while options do exist, they're pretty bad ones. Alternatively, go used. It can help.
Surely that screams 80s 90s guitars then?

Not sure if all these fit in your budget but,

washburn KC series, kramer pacer etc, charvel, fender HM, there were also a few crazy epiphones around that time.
Save up your money, like others have said, and you can afford ACTUAL 1980s guitars. I know I have seen Kramer Gorky Parks for $400-600, for instance.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
If 500 is your budget try out an Ibanez RG350 or RG351, these are around $350. With the rest you can get a decent modeling/practice amp like a vyper, roland cube, vox vt, mustang mini. Most shops should give you some sort of package deal. If you can get to Calgary theres a couple of Long & Mcquades or check out Guitarworks.

Have fun looking, you can get a decent kit for $500.
Quote by ghobby
If 500 is your budget try out an Ibanez RG350 or RG351, these are around $350. With the rest you can get a decent modeling/practice amp like a vyper, roland cube, vox vt, mustang mini. Most shops should give you some sort of package deal. If you can get to Calgary theres a couple of Long & Mcquades or check out Guitarworks.

Have fun looking, you can get a decent kit for $500.

Actually, I wouldn't suggest you get Ibanez 350 because it has edge III bridge which is shit, I have it on my guitar and I've had problems with it so I know what I'm talking about.
Quote by jason.tamming

Pickup's:I have no idea what these are, but I would assume you would be able to tell me if I need them or not.

Every electric guitar has pickups, some pickups are better than others, if you're a begginer with electric guitar any humbucker pickup will be good enough for your style of music.
I'd go for a used vypyr 30(around 120$) and a used mexi hss strat(300$ish)
Guitars:
Esp Ec-1000 VB with Emg 81/60
Esp ec-1000 Snow White with SD Jb/Jazz
Esp ltd f-50
Amp:
Randall rd-20h
Randall rd112-v30
Pedals:
Digitech rp-1000
Quote by JackovSlayer
Actually, I wouldn't suggest you get Ibanez 350 because it has edge III bridge which is shit, I have it on my guitar and I've had problems with it so I know what I'm talking about.

They have newer 300 series with the new edge zero II, which should be head and shoulders above the edge III. But for his budget, he won't be able to find a guitar with a passable floating bridge.

My advice would be to head to a local music shop and try out a bunch of guitars and find which feels best in your hands. I _know_ that Ibanez necks fit my hands very well. If I were looking for a ~$300 guitar, I'd be looking at a new Ibanez rg421 or a used rg321mh.

Here's the amp that's going to work for those styles, 75w vypyr for $175:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-amps-pedals-PEAVEY-VYPER-GUITAR-AMP-W0QQAdIdZ494353833
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Wow awesome reply's guys.
Okay, so lets say I wait about another week or so and get $800 what would your recommendations be. I definitely want the right guitar and amp combo because a bad combo might turn me off guitar playing.
I would also go with the Vypyr 30 ($120) and just go to a guitar store and choose which one feels best to you between an Ibanez RG4xx , a Jackson X-Series, an Epiphone (depends on your preference on which, just avoid the Special) or a Fender MIM Strat.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
With a budget of $800, here's a pretty good guitar for the price. Well if you're looking at Ibanez:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-2012-Ibanez-Premium-RG870QMZ-with-case-500-OBO-W0QQAdIdZ482838860QQfeaturedAdZtrue

Plus either that used vypyr 75 or buy a new vypyr 30 for $200 new. Or one of the new Vypyr VIP 2 40w combos for around $200.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
wow 3 hours is a short day trip? 3 hours here lands you in the ocean

but excellent choice in music there

the big problem, unfortunately, is that for the 80s stuff you ideally want a floyd rose-style double-locking tremolo, and the good ones cost a lot and the bad ones are shit (and there's little in-between).

the frt-1000/2000/3000 tremolos aren't too bad though, and might be worth considering. you should be able to get them on some guitars within your price range- kramers (I haven't tried them), jacksons, ESP/LT, charvel and the like.

probably a modelling amp for the amp, the roland cube (make sure it's at least the 30/40watt model as they have a lot more features and just sound better; or the microcube, which has most of the biggers ones' features that matter) is pretty good for heavier stuff. have heard good things about the vypyr too, but i haven't tried it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The best advice you can heed is to go into a store and try out different amps and guitars. A squier strat is always a great beginner electric guitar thats good enough to keep your interest to progress and see if you want to upgrade in the future. I have a peavey Vypyr 30 watt practice amp that I use which is ideal for a beginner as well as it has such a varied amount of tones. Don't go spending silly money just yet!
As suggested try several at the music store. A lot of opinions here, some good and some unrealistic. Spend more on the guitar. Don't worry about a bigger budget, and forget the guys that tell you to buy an expensive tube amp and a guitar to begin with.

There are many great "starter" guitars that play well. I like ESP/LTD guitars, but the Ibanez, Schecter and others make great first guitars.

I would recommend to avoid Floyd Rose/Edge type tremolos. Just because they require a lot of messing with and time.

The budget amps Marshall MG, Peavey vypyr and Line 6 15 are all fine to start.

Get something that you like and ENJOY PLAYING! You will upgrade as you get better.

Good Luck!
Quote by Dave_Mc

the big problem, unfortunately, is that for the 80s stuff you ideally want a floyd rose-style double-locking tremolo, and the good ones cost a lot and the bad ones are shit (and there's little in-between).

From all reports, the Edge Zero II in the newer Ibanez RGs and Premiums are MUCH better than the older Edge III. That Ibanez Premium for $500 would handle the 80s stuff quite well
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The store here has a used Ibanez AZR720/TGB without a single ding or scratch on it for $499. I looks gorgeous so I told them to put it on hold for me for a day. You guys have any opinions on it because it is a beauty.
I think you didn't write that ibanez model's name correct. I tried finding it on google and I didn't find anything.

EDIT: I found something, it's ARZ not AZR. But the number in the name of the model is still wrong, I think. Give us correct one, please, if you know it.
Last edited by JackovSlayer at Jun 14, 2013,
^ Should be good, as long as you like it. That's the most important thing.

Ampwise I highly/strongly recommend a Peavey Vypyr 30W.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
That Ibanez should be good enough for you, but I don't know if 500 $ is fair price for it, I'm not very familiar with musical equipment prices in America, you should find out how much it costs new.
I'd have said $500 was pretty dear for that ibanez (depending on where you are), it's made in china. I could be wrong, but I think you can get second-hand rg550/570/1550/1570s for that kind of money. maybe even slightly less.

Quote by Chevywizz

I would recommend to avoid Floyd Rose/Edge type tremolos. Just because they require a lot of messing with and time.

true but they're quite useful for the 80s type stuff. i agree if you'd only use it occasionally, there's not much point, but if you're constantly annoyed that you can't play the stuff you want because it doesn't have a floyd, that gets old really fast.

Quote by DarthV
From all reports, the Edge Zero II in the newer Ibanez RGs and Premiums are MUCH better than the older Edge III. That Ibanez Premium for $500 would handle the 80s stuff quite well

i dunno, i haven't tried it
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 14, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I'd have said $500 was pretty dear for that ibanez (depending on where you are), it's made in china. I could be wrong, but I think you can get second-hand rg550/570/1550/1570s for that kind of money. maybe even slightly less.

Yeah, but it seems pretty obvious that TS doesn't want to go used.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by JackovSlayer

Fair enough, I've only played it in store, loved the variety of sound and loved the neck.
Quote by Offworld92
Yeah, but it seems pretty obvious that TS doesn't want to go used.

he said the one he was looking at was used I just assumed when he was willing to go used with it that he might be willing to go used for something better.

admittedly, getting something used from a shop probably isn't as scary as getting it used from some random dude, but still.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
he said the one he was looking at was used I just assumed when he was willing to go used with it that he might be willing to go used for something better.

admittedly, getting something used from a shop probably isn't as scary as getting it used from some random dude, but still.

Oh, I didn't see that.

And yeah, it's easier to go used when you can hold it first.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Offworld92
Oh, I didn't see that.

And yeah, it's easier to go used when you can hold it first.

yeah definitely
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?