Sometimes I honestly like The Pit more than I like Google. Rarely post here, but this is the most helpful sub-forum that I've ever found. Just wanted to say thanks in advance because I can't find some of these answers on the web.

Anyway, Sprint decided to buy out U.S. Cellular in a few states including Illinois where I live. Naturally, with my luck, I was forced to go from the highest rated/best priced provider to Verizon. Now I'm stuck with an iPhone 4 for the time being. It was $.90, but my dad caved and wasted $40 on a case because Apple loves making their products easy to break (Glass? Really?).

- I can't remove the "Slide To Unlock" feature (I only want the 4-digit passcode)
- Thought it was a glitch, but for some reason group messaging is really messed up (I receive messages from any people texting another in the group)
- I can't remove some of these superfluous applications from the home screen (Newsstand, Productivity, Passbook, etc).

I've already disabled the Wi-Fi, Safari, and "iMessage," but will "jailbreaking" help me customize this thing to get rid of all the excessive crap? Don't know how people could ever pay $500 retail for this thing.
Heisenberg might have been here

I wouldn't be caught dead with a necrophiliac

I don't clean my room because I'm saving entropy the effort

Drugs may lead to nowhere, but at least it's the scenic route
Quote by jhalterman
Sometimes I honestly like The Pit more than I like Google. Rarely post here, but this is the most helpful sub-forum that I've ever found. Just wanted to say thanks in advance because I can't find some of these answers on the web.

Anyway, Sprint decided to buy out U.S. Cellular in a few states including Illinois where I live. Naturally, with my luck, I was forced to go from the highest rated/best priced provider to Verizon. Now I'm stuck with an iPhone 4 for the time being. It was $.90, but my dad caved and wasted $40 on a case because Apple loves making their products easy to break (Glass? Really?).

- I can't remove the "Slide To Unlock" feature (I only want the 4-digit passcode)
- Thought it was a glitch, but for some reason group messaging is really messed up (I receive messages from any people texting another in the group)
- I can't remove some of these superfluous applications from the home screen (Newsstand, Productivity, Passbook, etc).

I've already disabled the Wi-Fi, Safari, and "iMessage," but will "jailbreaking" help me customize this thing to get rid of all the excessive crap? Don't know how people could ever pay $500 retail for this thing.

- even jailbreaking probably won't remove this. i know it's kind of annoying, but you get used to it. unless you're asking how to add the 4 digit passcode? that's passcode lock under general in your settings.
- what? in group message, you send messages to the whole group of contacts in the group message. you aren't having an individual message conversation with each person.
- i agree that those should be removable. they just take up memory. you could remove them if you jailbroke your phone.
- i'm not sure why you disabled wi-fi, safari, and imessage. can you clarify why?

sorry if i sound condescending. i'm not trying to be.
you're a stone fox
Quote by jetfuel495
jailbreaking can probably help with some of that stuff. worst case scenario you can create folders to put all the unwanted crap in.

idk, i got rid of my iphone in like 2010
Quote by Saint78
- even jailbreaking probably won't remove this. i know it's kind of annoying, but you get used to it. unless you're asking how to add the 4 digit passcode? that's passcode lock under general in your settings.
- what? in group message, you send messages to the whole group of contacts in the group message. you aren't having an individual message conversation with each person.
- i agree that those should be removable. they just take up memory. you could remove them if you jailbroke your phone.
- i'm not sure why you disabled wi-fi, safari, and imessage. can you clarify why?

sorry if i sound condescending. i'm not trying to be.

Great, thanks for the assistance! And Saint, that wasn't condescending at all, lol. It's just that my birthday present was a 'new' phone I didn't want with a provider my family didn't want (corporate America wins again). I had no reason to research jailbreaking or anything iPhone related because I thought I'd never have one so I'm 3-4+ years behind.

- Already have the passcode set, but I just find the slide feature a nuisance. Every other feature on this phone and my Android required a "tap." It's the little things
- Completely got my train of thought messed up on this one. It's simply because people are too lazy to respond to the individual so they send the message through the group text and everyone gets it. I'll have to break my family of this habit now...

In response to your last question, all I want out of a phone is the ability to call, text, take pictures, send pictures, and take notes. I believe the only applications I really use like Dictionary and SnapChat use the internet (not 100% sure), but I can live without them.

Buying into the "smart" phone trend was a bad decision on my part. I'm just stuck with the iPhone until I can pay the fees to break this contact with Verizon and get a basic phone.

Quote by jhalterman
Great, thanks for the assistance! And Saint, that wasn't condescending at all, lol. It's just that my birthday present was a 'new' phone I didn't want with a provider my family didn't want (corporate America wins again). I had no reason to research jailbreaking or anything iPhone related because I thought I'd never have one so I'm 3-4+ years behind.

- Already have the passcode set, but I just find the slide feature a nuisance. Every other feature on this phone and my Android required a "tap." It's the little things
- Completely got my train of thought messed up on this one. It's simply because people are too lazy to respond to the individual so they send the message through the group text and everyone gets it. I'll have to break my family of this habit now...

In response to your last question, all I want out of a phone is the ability to call, text, take pictures, send pictures, and take notes. I believe the only applications I really use like Dictionary and SnapChat use the internet (not 100% sure), but I can live without them.

Buying into the "smart" phone trend was a bad decision on my part. I'm just stuck with the iPhone until I can pay the fees to break this contact with Verizon and get a basic phone.

If you don't want a smartphone, just buy a basic phone for like 15 bucks off ebay and have Verizon transfer everything. Verizon phones only have removable SIM cards for 4G phones, so you wouldn't be able to just switch the SIM, but as far as I'm aware, you're not breaking contract by switching your phone. You just may be stuck with a bunch of data you won't use.
I have jbed my ipad ios6, and it's a powerhouse. Iphone ios6 is doable, but only 6.1.

jailbreak it, and essentially what you get is another appstore. From there u dl little add ons. Like an add on to change icon sizes, or fonts, or even a custom lockscreen.

I currently have a multipage sliding dock for most used apps which is nice.

You can also have full acces to the root, and with little tweaking my ipad supports now my audio interface, sd cards, external hd and other stuff.

However my gf jb'ed her ipad and fked up, because she downloaded stuff like it was zombie apocalypse.

Make sure the add ons u dl work with your ios, and see if u can find reliable source or youtube vid of someone using the particular add ons.

The jb however is very user friendly and it test builds the add ons. If it doesn't work, ur device resets and looks exactly as it was the day u jbed. From there u remove the add on. Restart ipad, and it boots again in ur jb version. I have had this quite often about 20 times. Still works flawlessly.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 14, 2013,
Quote by jhalterman
but this is the most helpful sub-forum that I've ever found.

You're kidding right?
I'd like to add that if u want so few features ur better off selling the phone and get a cheap one.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by jetfuel495
The irony of your post is that it's the only unhelpful post in this thread.

That was the point I was trying to make.
Quote by jhalterman
It's just that my birthday present was a 'new' phone I didn't want with a provider my family didn't want (corporate America wins again).

Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Quote by metacarpi
I don't understand the reference, but uh... OK

Thanks a ton, darren. Extremely helpful stuff.

For those telling me to just get a phone without all of the excess features, I don't get much input in this decision, to be honest. It was hard enough trying to make this work out as we're tight on money. I'll try to make a case, though

Quote by triface
You're kidding right?
Nope. However random and goofy The Pit can be it also has a wealth of information. Pit + search function = gold mine.

Quote by jimmy_neutron
You can delete the the icons of all the stock apple apps through passbook without jailbreaking the phone. Obviously, by jailbreaking you would be able to do this too. Have a look at this link http://www.cultofmac.com/198589/passhack-makes-it-quicker-to-remove-stock-apps-from-ios-without-jailbreaking/

I still don't understand why you would disable wifi though
Most excellent Oh, and I built a PC for a reason. Why would I need it on my phone?

Quote by jhalterman
I don't understand the reference, but uh... OK

Thanks a ton, darren. Extremely helpful stuff.

For those telling me to just get a phone without all of the excess features, I don't get much input in this decision, to be honest. It was hard enough trying to make this work out as we're tight on money. I'll try to make a case, though

Nope. However random and goofy The Pit can be it also has a wealth of information. Pit + search function = gold mine.

Most excellent Oh, and I built a PC for a reason. Why would I need it on my phone?

Can you carry your PC in your pocket? That's why.

And if you're tight on money, selling the iPhone and getting a cheap feature phone makes more sense anyway.
As an aside, how the fuck do you break an iPhone unless you're completely retarded? Glass isn't that weak.
Quote by TheChaz
Can you carry your PC in your pocket? That's why.
Please don't take this as an attack on you, personally, but I don't understand why people keep saying that I need the internet on my phone. If I want to look something up I'll ask a friend if I feel it can't wait, but 99% of the time I simply make a note of it on my phone and just wait until I get home to look it up on my computer. Besides, when is Wi-Fi ever better than my wired connection?
Quote by Avedas
As an aside, how the fuck do you break an iPhone unless you're completely retarded? Glass isn't that weak.
My dad is usually quite the logical guy, but he was convinced that a <1' fall from my stomach to his carpeted floor was enough to OMG SHATTER the glass (the only time I ever drop my phone is when I fall asleep on his couch). Only time I've ever seen him cave in to a salesperson and essentially wasted $40-50 on an Otter Box case.

I know Apple is stupid as hell for making a phone out of glass in the first place, and my dad grew up with a fraction of what we have now, but he knows as well as anyone we don't make enough to replace most of our belongings. Personal responsibility has taken a sharp decrease with my generation