I really hope the people here can help me, because I've been trying to pick for weeks and just been so overwhelmed.
Basically I'm looking for a versatile electric guitar within my budget of approx. 700 EUR (1000$, £600), might be able to stretch a (tiny) bit. I've been playing for about 7 years but I honestly don't know much about whether a guitar is a good one or not (aside from the obvious).

I play mostly rock music, but the style varies greatly, from Creedence to Muse, to AC/DC to Ska-punk like Zebrahead, to Kaiser Chiefs to The Eagles... you get the idea. Also, I'd be playing both rhythm and lead on it.

I was originally looking at these two gutars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded
Brian May Signature

I'm a little worried that both of these are primarily lead-guitars. A friend told me that the chord work on them tend to be on the fat, fuller sounding side.

However, if anyone can suggest a guitar that they'd think would suit my needs, I'd be very grateful to hear it!

Cheers,
Danny.

P.S. It can't hurt for it to look good either!
Les pauls have great rhythm tones. Do the Brain Mays have the switching options like his original? If so, I couldn't believe it wouldn't work for that.
I've actually heard less than great things about newer Gibsons. Maybe check out a nice used one for that budget. You may be able to find one a little better than a studio faded for the same price.
Quote by Bassface7
Go for the Les Paul. You can't go wrong with a new Gibson.

- Nick

Thanks for your suggestion.

Quote by ryanbwags
Les pauls have great rhythm tones. Do the Brain Mays have the switching options like his original? If so, I couldn't believe it wouldn't work for that.
I've actually heard less than great things about newer Gibsons. Maybe check out a nice used one for that budget. You may be able to find one a little better than a studio faded for the same price.

Yeah, it has switches to turn each of the three pickups on and off, and a phase switch for each one.
I've had a little look at used gibsons, but I don't know how to spot a good guitar for a good deal without going through hundreds and looking them all up. You said go for an older one, how old is old?

Just found this guitar, which I've read brilliant reviews about. The PRS SE Tremonti Custom. But I wonder if anyone knows how it sounds playing other styles than metal?
Early 2000's maybe? Only problem with used is you need to play them first. Usually, new guitars are OK sight unseen, since you can usually take them back as long as you don't abuse them.
The Tremontis look pretty sweet. Look to be based pretty much on a les paul, so should be good for all rock. I don't believe in "this guitar is only for metal" I can play metal just fine on a stock telecaster, and pickups can be changed.
The one in your price range on the tremontis looks a little vanilla. I think you can get a better les paul studio for the same euros.
Just as an FYI, in case Thomann doesn't offer them all, the Brian May comes in a LOT of color options:
http://www.brianmayguitars.co.uk/bm-special.html
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Yeah, I saw that thanks :P Although the Antique Cherry's my favourite, the green one's pretty nice.
I kinda dig the Windermere Blue...though the Natural and Honey Sunburst finishes that show the grain are nice, too.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!