Page 1 of 2
I started this yesterday - it's fun as hell. Been playing To Zanarkand, Roxas Theme, Rose of May, all Square Enix stuff I used to listen to when playing.

What video game songs have you always wanted to play?
A few, mainly from Final Fantasy VII, but also a couple of Sonic themes.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Oh, yes. I like to play music from Mario, Doom, Bomberman, Megaman.... all kinds of stuff. It's also very fun to play the basslines from dance music on an actual bass. Benni Benassi has some fun basslines.
Pokemon yellow pkmn center theme

And I plan on learning the shadow the hedgehog theme
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Jun 14, 2013,
Quote by Carl_Berg
Nobuo Uematsu = king

i like this guy
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Totally. I sometimes break out the Mortal Kombat theme because I feel like an ass. I also used to want to play this song from Megaman X3. I still haven't gotten it down mostly because of that short moderate-speed solo at 0:46, which I couldn't transcribe at a few years ago. It'd probably be pretty easy by now, but I haven't gotten my ass off to do it.

Edit: I also have a fingerpicking version of the Mario theme down. By "have it down", I mean I can play it sloppily, but you can totally hear what I'm playing.
Last edited by triface at Jun 14, 2013,
I always wanted to learn how to play that one song in Sonic Adventure 2 during the race missions. I think. The one with the cool guitar track and horns.
West Ham United
Hm, I've transcribed a lot of them - particularly to find out how they're arranged.. but don't usually end up playing them much.
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
Song of Storms, FFVII Prelude, and Mario underground teme

I can play mario underground on bass
- Frank Castle
Quote by cha33 armstrong
I can play mario underground on bass

Yeah, it seems more suitable for bass. People seem to think it's really cool when they hear me play it on guitar though
i can only play that one megaman song

you know the one
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by CoreysMonster
I refer you to all the awesome Video Game Cover Albums that we made here in the Pit.

VGC_I VGC_2 VGC_3

Was just listening to the first and second the other day. Time for a fourth soon eh?
Quote by Ichikurosaki
sloth is hacking away feebly at the grass because he is a sloth but he was trying so hard ;_; hes all "penguin im HERE i am here to help you penguin"
Quote by Demon Wolf
Was just listening to the first and second the other day. Time for a fourth soon eh?

We made a fourth one, actually, but it didn't turn out so hot. Everybody was really disappointed with it. We didn't even make a band page for it.

I listen to the first and third pretty regularly. The second one more when I want some chill time, but also quite often.

EDIT: man your tracks always bring a smile to my face, dude they're so nice
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 14, 2013,
Oh I see, I have no recollection of seeing that. If I signed up I definately didn't contribute. Not for the third either.

It's been a while, maybe we could go at it with renewed energy.

EDIT: Aww you are too kind

I am a big fan of that super-melodic, precise sound.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf

Wow I actually made one for the first one. I'm not going to listen to it because it sounds like shit but sadly, I haven't improved at all.

And your cover of Terra's theme is brilliant.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I refer you to all the awesome Video Game Cover Albums that we made here in the Pit.

VGC_I VGC_2 VGC_3

If I could record id happily join on a 4th VGC
- Frank Castle
Quote by metaldud536
Wow I actually made one for the first one. I'm not going to listen to it because it sounds like shit but sadly, I haven't improved at all.

And your cover of Terra's theme is brilliant.

Thanks man, I am still very proud of it.

Oh and Corey, don't forget the 8-bit album, that turned out amazing.
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Quote by Demon Wolf
Thanks man, I am still very proud of it.

Oh and Corey, don't forget the 8-bit album, that turned out amazing.

Oh right, I actually forgot about that. We never made a band page for that, wtf
Quote by CoreysMonster
Oh right, I actually forgot about that. We never made a band page for that, wtf

Video Game Cover Album 5 - double album. Calm disc and heavy disc.

glorious
Quote by Ichikurosaki
I know a couple of tunes from various TLoZ games, such as the Serenade of Water, the Forest Temple song, the Clocktown song, the Lost Woods song, and the opening cutscene from Windwaker as well as the level complete arpeggios from Super Mario Bros. I also know the Swat Kats opening (season one), the DBZ opening, and the Fox NFL theme, a bit of the Rohan theme, and the Soviet national anthem since that's kind of the same.

Also I can't express enough how much I detest "metal" covers of video game/TV/movie themes. You know the ones: not actually metal, but just a chunky distorted rhythm guitar and a bit of random double bass, and lead guitar playing that, while capturing the melody, completes discards any of the notion of timbre or dynamics that was essential to the feel of the original.

People also need to realize that distorted guitar sounds bad for a lot of things, especially when some jackass decides to play Moonlight Sonata (third movement) with eight finger tapping. It just sounds awful.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Video Game Cover Album 5 - double album. Calm disc and heavy disc.

glorious

Well, I already said after the sorta-4th one that I'm done with the Vidya cover albums. If you wanna take care of the next trilogy, you're perfectly welcome to!
Duke Nukem 3D, Doom, Castlevania, sometimes even Contra on bass.
Pokemon, Mario, Donkey Kong, Goldeneye, Smash Bros., Tekken.

I just play the songs on my computer and with my bass or electric plugged into my amp, I play along. No transscribing, don't need it.
A few. I've learned the themes to Stone Tower Temple, the Song of Healing, Ikana Castle, and Ikana Canyon from Majora's Mask. Also the theme for Super Metroid, and the theme from Lower Norfair.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by theogonia777
Also I can't express enough how much I detest "metal" covers of video game/TV/movie themes. You know the ones: not actually metal, but just a chunky distorted rhythm guitar and a bit of random double bass, and lead guitar playing that, while capturing the melody, completes discards any of the notion of timbre or dynamics that was essential to the feel of the original.

People also need to realize that distorted guitar sounds bad for a lot of things, especially when some jackass decides to play Moonlight Sonata (third movement) with eight finger tapping. It just sounds awful.
Came here to post exactly this. Thank you for saving a shit ton of time on a most of mine.

Though it can be done correctly, the trick is to not play it note-for-note, stir up the song a bit, and play it as if it was written as a metal track. This guy almost does it right, certainly better than 90% of "metal" covers out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycSJZS5VJIo
Quote by theogonia777

You mean like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZuSaudKc68

Thought it was pretty cool though, but I only really liked the introduction.
Quote by theogonia777
I know a couple of tunes from various TLoZ games, such as the Serenade of Water, the Forest Temple song, the Clocktown song, the Lost Woods song, and the opening cutscene from Windwaker as well as the level complete arpeggios from Super Mario Bros. I also know the Swat Kats opening (season one), the DBZ opening, and the Fox NFL theme, a bit of the Rohan theme, and the Soviet national anthem since that's kind of the same.

Agreed for most.

EXcept for this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73HHNOc667k

Some game songs are metal songs, but have guitarpro guitar sound.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Page 1 of 2