Hello all,
I recently purchased a Tweed Blues Junior. I'm looking to purchase some pedals to give me a nice blues rock sound, particularly like SRV.
The only pedals I currently have are a wah and noise gate, but I'm looking at getting an overdrive shortly.
I'm looking at the Maxon OD-808 as an overdrive, but I'm open to any suggestions for other overdrives. Is this a good choice?
Also, what other gear do you guys recommend to get this nice dirty blues tone? Like pickups, mods, pedals, anything! And yes, I know that a lot of SRV's tone was in his fingers

Here's my rig if you guys are interested
Agree on the maxon. SRV actually used to stack two tube screamers together.

The first as a boost/EQ pedal, Level on full, Gain on zero & tone just over half

The second as a boost for solo's with the level full, tone straight up & gain to taste.

I'd also recommend using the neck & middle pickups together on your guitar.
This will give you a relatively bassy tone, but if you push the treble harder on your amp you should get his tone.

Thicker strings (I believe he used 13's). This also helps thicken the sound.

I can remember reading somewhere that he used an old VOX wah & a fuzz face.

AND HIT THE THING! He was a hard player.
Last edited by AndyGray at Jun 14, 2013,
Bad Monkey
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ +1

something tubescreamery would work, no real need to fork out tons of money.

that would probably do it, the BJ already has reverb, doesn't it?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ +1

something tubescreamery would work, no real need to fork out tons of money.

that would probably do it, the BJ already has reverb, doesn't it?

Yes, it has reverb.

I have a BJr, but I've never used a TS with it and I don't go for those tones so I'm not much help.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Yes, it has reverb.

I have a BJr, but I've never used a TS with it and I don't go for those tones so I'm not much help.

yeah i mean that's more or less all you need, a fendery amp and a tubescreamer and reverb. assuming you can play like him
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for the replies guys!
I think I'll go for the Maxon, and maybe get a bad monkey some time to test out.
Would it be worth getting an eq pedal as a boost, or am I better off getting another tubescreamer type pedal?
The Bad Monkey is cheaper and it is an 808 with an extra tone control. Get the Bad Monkey.
An EQ is a very good idea. Get one that has an overall level control. The MXR 10 band is the pick of the crop but if you want to save money I can recommend the Danelectro Fish & Chips. It's 7 band with a global level control. Very quiet pedal and stoopidly cheap. Cheap EQ's are normally noisy piles of shit but the Dano is surprisingly good.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Jersey Girl Fulltender for dirt and a Wampler Black 65 for his cleaner stuff like Lenny.

EDIT: Or if you can afford it just go for a Sabbadius Mr White, it is the king of SRV-in-a-box pedals, forget tubescreamers...
Last edited by ibanart300 at Jun 17, 2013,
this is getting daft. he has a blues junior (which is a good but budget amp) and he's getting suggestions for crazily-priced ods. just get a frigging bad monkey and be done with it. Not good enough? get a better amp. still not good enough? then maybe get a better pedal. but you can spend silly money on pedals for little (IMO) benefit.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it's still pretty daft if you ask me. plus i mean he could go used on the amp.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
A Blues Tweed Junior is already a nice amp IMO. I mean look at Anthony from StevieSnacks he used a Tweed Blues Junior for most of his lessons that cover Stevie Ray Vaughan and he sounds awesome why upgrade to something else when the right pedal for $100 to 200 will have him sorted.
He can get a Bad monkey and a new speaker for that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
A speaker isn't a bad idea. I'd also look at a nice set of pickups like the Lollar Blackface set and the Mr White pedal by Sabbadius.
whats with the blues junior suggestion? its really really hard to get a better dirty blues sound than a NOS blues junior. retails at what, 550?

crazy awesome designed amps.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Quote by ikey_
whats with the blues junior suggestion? its really really hard to get a better dirty blues sound than a NOS blues junior. retails at what, 550?

crazy awesome designed amps.

Exactly why I said he doesn't need another amp!
Quote by ibanart300
A Blues Tweed Junior is already a nice amp IMO. I mean look at Anthony from StevieSnacks he used a Tweed Blues Junior for most of his lessons that cover Stevie Ray Vaughan and he sounds awesome why upgrade to something else when the right pedal for $100 to 200 will have him sorted.

i never said it wasn't nice. I said that, with his rig as it is, a bad monkey (or similar) should be "good enough" if he can play like srv.

I was merely making the suggestion that (IMO) boutique pedals, in a lot of cases anyway, aren't really worth the cash. Especially if you have a decent-but-budget amp. Pedals are about the last place I'd be spending serious money, really.

Quote by Cathbard
He can get a Bad monkey and a new speaker for that.

+1

what speaker is currently in there?

Quote by cdr_salamander
Your rig is fine. Anything better sounding is going to come from the fingers.

+1
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2013,