Page 1 of 9
some of you might hate me for making a maths thread cos there already is one, but i really wanna spark mathematical interest in people, even if this thread gets like 3 posts and dies out.

the identity in the title is true, and has mathematical proof. http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/qg-winter2004/zeta.pdf

it's weird because you're adding only positive whole numbers together, and it yields a negative fraction. almost anybody you tell this to as a 'fun fact' will reject it as being true, and they should do so too. it's crazy.

this thread is to discuss how ****ing weird maths is. the popular euler's identity is my personal favorite.

EDIT: apparently, this thread is now about how me, euler and maths are all wrong. cest la vie, post forth.
Click here to hear my BOB DYLAN (Blowing in the Wind) out right now May 2k17
Last edited by laid-to-waste at Jun 14, 2013,
Wow, this is incredible! This information will surely change the course of mankind forever!
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
I wish I kept up maths in college, but alas I have no idea what you are on about.

if you add up every positive number to infinity, you get minus a twelfth. this is as true as 1+1 = 2
Quote by laid-to-waste
if you add up every positive number to infinity, you get minus a twelfth. this is as true as 1+1 = 2

How can you know this if it's impossible to add every number to infinity because infinity is infinite.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Since we don't know how to handle infinity, any "proof" with infinity in it is nonsense
My God, it's full of stars!
Quote by WhiskeyFace
Yeah but why/how

even when you learn the proof, you only learn how to prove it. you can't really understand it, just how people don't really understand how e^(i*pi) = -1
Quote by Jostry
How can you know this if it's impossible to add every number to infinity because infinity is infinite.

we know this because in mathematics we can work with infinity.
Quote by Dreadnought
Since we don't know how to handle infinity, any "proof" with infinity in it is nonsense

we do know how to handle infinity. no proof in maths in nonesense, that's the best part of maths.
mathematics is a reptilian construct designed to keep the plebeian masses under control

fuck maths

i'm not falling for it
Quote by laid-to-waste

we do know how to handle infinity. no proof in maths in nonesense, that's the best part of maths.

Uh huh.

Flawless ol' math. Divine creation of perpetual perfection
I like math, but now I like it just a little less because of this thread
Quote by ehbacon
I like math, but now I like it just a little less because of this thread

why?
I personally lack the discriminatory abilities to determine whether or not the proof is accurate. And I say this without looking at the proof. Nonetheless, it sounds stupid.
Quote by laid-to-waste
why?

Because, this "proof" just told me that if I were to sit here making a pile of rocks, continually adding one rock every second or so, for all eternity (again, a concept we have yet to handle regardless of your opinion of math being able to), there eventually would come a point at the end of it all, neverminding how this is inherently paradoxical given the nature of eternity and the definition of infinity, where I would be in rock-debt to the tune of one twelfth of a rock.

Math, sometimes you stupid.

Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's like the 0.999... = 1 thing right?

No because that actually makes sense. All this does is document how imperfect and unrepresentative of reality our current level of mathematics is. It's an artifact of its faults, not a heralding of its greatness.
Last edited by Dreadnought at Jun 14, 2013,
OP, I can't imagine that you, as high school student, actually understand the proof. I don't either. So why are you trying to defend it?
I could sort of follow the Euler's formula video, but my mind wasn't blown, so apparently I have no soul.

That was probably because I couldn't see what the relationship between all those things actually was, but it looked good on the blackboard thingy.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Dreadnought
Because, this "proof" just told me that if I were to sit here making a pile of rocks, continually adding one rock every second or so, for all eternity (again, a concept we have yet to handle regardless of your opinion of math being able to), there eventually would come a point at the end of it all, neverminding how this is inherently paradoxical given the nature of eternity and the definition of infinity, where I would be in rock-debt to the tune of one twelfth of a rock.

Math, sometimes you stupid.

you can't think about infinity by counting. this implies infinity is a number or is quantifiable. i think this identity is really interesting because it shows our limits of understanding as human beings. this has been proven to be completely true, and yet we have no logical basis for it. our logic must be limited, given how mathematical proof is about as certain we can get.
Quote by progdude93
OP, I can't imagine that you, as high school student, actually understand the proof. I don't either. So why are you trying to defend it?

i'm in college now, and i know a couple proofs. no, i don't understand it. but i do know that mathematical proof is solid, and if this were wrong then it would have been pointed out as being so quite quickly. i have more faith in euler's proof than my own logic, which, as i've pointed out, can't be used to think about infinity.
Yeah I'm just gonna say that's wrong as a person with little math understanding.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I think I saw a video about this some time ago (probably on Numberphile). I can't remember it very well but I think what they said was that the value you get can't really be considered a sum. It's a useful value that exists for any series, and for convergent ones it coincides with the sum.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
It's like the 0.999... = 1 thing right?

yes, in the sense that if somebody didn't have mathematical proof or a maths teacher to tell them, they shouldn't be able to comprehend that because infinity is weird.
Square root of negative one.
Imaginary numbers are cool.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
>i don't understand something therefore no one can

I never said it was right or wrong. I simply think people who don't understand things shouldn't advocate for them.
Quote by laid-to-waste
you can't think about infinity by counting. this implies infinity is a number or is quantifiable.

You tell me this in some attempt to disprove my point after pointing to a statement that literally says 1 + 2 + 3 to infinity without realizing that you are actually highlighting the same faults of math that I have been hitherto referencing?

Hombre...
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I could sort of follow the Euler's formula video, but my mind wasn't blown, so apparently I have no soul.

That was probably because I couldn't see what the relationship between all those things actually was, but it looked good on the blackboard thingy.

i think he meant that for people who followed all his videos on the topic up until then. you really need to know how far apart e, i and pi are and to understand what they are to be fully mind-****ed. it really is a spectacular identity.
Quote by Dreadnought
You tell me this in some attempt to disprove my point after pointing to a statement that literally says 1 + 2 + 3 to infinity without realizing that you are actually highlighting the same faults of math that I have been hitherto referencing?

Hombre...

nah man, what i'm saying is the equation in the title isn't something you can think about and logically understand. i like to think if there's et life that are smarter than us, they can understand things like this with no proof, just like we can understand 1+1=2 with no proof required, although there is lengthy proof available in bertrand russell's book, wherin there are something like 300 pages that lead to the proof that 1+1=2.
Quote by PSimonR
Neither do I.

The sum of all numbers from 1 to infinity is infinity.

i hate to be the only person saying this, but you really need to substantiate your claims in maths with proof when it comes to infinity.
Quote by Dreadnought

Hombre...

It's an imaginary number. Math uses them all the time. It's the concept not the proof that is important.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by WhiskeyFace
>i don't understand something therefore no one can

exactly
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Actually, now that I've read it more carefully, and though I don't understand a lot of it, your source never really says that 1 + 2 + 3 + ... = -1/12

Anyway the video I was talking about a while ago is this:

It's only about geometric series so it's not really the same case as this but it's similar.
Last edited by sickman411 at Jun 14, 2013,
Quote by sickman411
Actually, now that I've read it more carefully, and though I don't understand a lot of it, your source never really says that 1 + 2 + 3 + ... = -1/12

it explicitly states that halfway down the second page.

edit: i feel this part of this video is very useful to what i am trying to say, so i'm going to utilize it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NSxIN5Jubus#t=2429s

EDIT: even better, http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=NSxIN5Jubus#t=2531s