Page 1 of 2
hello rockers!
I always wanted to play the electric guitar, so I tried at a friend's house. I'd like to start playing the guitar and I wanted to ask, which guitar/amp is the best for starting at a reasonable price, like 300€ or less. Thanks
always keep metal alive guys!
Well; 300 Euros is US$400.00, so now we need to know what brands are available where you live. Here in the U.S.A., we have just about everything available, so we don't want to recommend something that isn't available in your neck of the woods. And do you want brand-new equipment, or are you willing to go used?

Clearly, you play metal (or plan to play metal). Do you want a guitar with humbucking pickups, or perhaps one with single-coil pickups? Do you want a locking tremolo (a lot of metal headbangers consider one a must-have option)? As for amplifiers, are you looking for something you can play at gigs, or just something for practicing around the home?

A bit of the above-listed information and we can better assist you.

Good luck with the search!
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
300€ in europe are actually 300$ in the us. thats always like that. I'd like to play death metal, heavy metal, trash metal ecc ecc. I like that deep sound but I also like the iron maiden melody, which are a bit brighter. I don't actually know which brands are avaliable here, in italy. Buying it used could be an option as well. Sorry but I don't actually know the difference between the two pickups you mentioned. I will use the amplifier most of the time at home
I started with a Squier affinity strat pack, with a Fender Frontman 15g amp. It does not fitt your style really well tho. Most of the guitarists will not suggest buying guitars from starters packs, I do and I'll explain why. The majority of the starters (a really large percentage) will stop within a month or 2 after 'they begun'. Also, in the beginning of your guitar carreer you'll difficiltulties recognizing quality, sound, playability of a guitar, etc. I practised and practised on my starterspack until I recognized the sound and guitar wasn't what I was looking for. That was for me the sign to look for a better guitar. When you start to play, you will not be able to differ quality like the more advanced players do. Besides all that, you can buy the most expensive guitar within your budget and it will still not be the guitar you will play for live. And if you have a guitar of a known brand, you can sell it easily second hand, just because of the brand.

Look at some Ibanez guitars/packs. Not fitting your style perfectly, but the Yamaha Pacifica serie is one of the best value in your price range. Sweet quality for the price.
Quote by FatalGear41
Do you want a guitar with humbucking pickups, or perhaps one with single-coil pickups? Do you want a locking tremolo (a lot of metal headbangers consider one a must-have option)?

If he likes death and thrash metal, humbuckers are a must-have.
It would be better not to buy a cheap guitar with locking tremolo, most of cheap guitars have shitty tremolos.
Look on Thomann at the Kramer S-211, Jackson JS22 Dinky these are ~€200 and look for a used Peavey Vypyr 30.

If you go used you can get better gear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Jayerrr
300€ in europe are actually 300$ in the us.

No 300 euro is 400.30$ USD.

Jus get a cheap fender squire setup. Make sure your dedication is solid before you go buying some crazy setup. I would plan on using half the 300 euro to get what you need. In a few years if you decide to upgrade you can get some new pickups, maybe a new amp, or maybe an entirely different guitar. Chances are if your grinding it out and shredding everyday, you're going want something more soon.

Happy Shredding
Buying a guitar can be an intimidating process, especially if you've never purchased one before. There are so many factors to consider, and so many guitars available, novices will surely feel overwhelmed. Fear not - help is available. The following ten lower priced beginner acoustic guitars all offer great value for their respective price tags.
but because of import taxes if a product cotst 300$ in the us, it will cost 300€ here
Quote by Jayerrr
but because of import taxes if a product cotst 300$ in the us, it will cost 300€ here

Where in Europe do you live.. I was just in Germany and they had great shops with plenty of selection in the guitar department... reasonably priced as well. I couldn't imagine it being hard to get your hands on a fender or a Gibson.
I'd find a guitar store and just start browsing and see what you like....

sounds like a fun afternoon.
Quote by Dave's not here
I'd find a guitar store and just start browsing and see what you like....

sounds like a fun afternoon.

^ Good advice.

Sonno Italiano eh?

I have family in Friuli.
Love that area.

This one doesn't look that bad h ttp://www.subito.it/strumenti-musicali/ibanez-rg-370-dx-trento-62244505.htm

This one is a little cheaper, but not bad for beginner
h ttp://www.subito.it/strumenti-musicali/chitarra-elettrica-trento-58486548.htm
the problem is I don't know the difference between the parts and what they effect afterall. If I had to browse for a guitar right now, I'd just go for esthetics and price.
LTDs cheap guitars tend to be good. But as always, first thing you do with one is take it to a shop for new strings and proper setup. Factory setup is more often than not poop. Just make sure the finish is good and the guitar feels good in your hands standing up and sitting down and whatever you do do not get one with tremolo. They are crap on cheap guitars and more hassle than they are worth. Plus you have long way to travel before you start to use one, if ever. Better wait and if you decide you need a floyd rose in your playing, get expensive one with good quality tremolo stock.

Anyway.

http://www.thomann.de/fi/esp_ltd_mh_100qm_nt.htm
http://www.thomann.de/fi/espltd_viper_100fm_stblk.htm

However, this does not leave much room for an amp. I really wouldnt go cheaper for your first guitar. Up your budget a bit and look around for used Peavey Vypyr. Or if there simply isnt any around, Peavey Bandit. They are everywhere.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 17, 2013,
Things to look out for:
- How does it feel in your hands? some guitars have shorter necks, thicker necks, narrow necks etc...
- Is it well made? Starter guitars are likely to be made in Indonesia, China or Taiwan. Nicer guitars are made in Korea, Japan and in the US. At your price range, it'll be from one of the first 3 countries but some brands have better reputations than others.
- Is it suitable for metal? You'll at least want a humbucker in the bridge.
- At this price steer clear of guitars with a Floyd Rose. They'll be cheaply made, and probably annoy you anyway.
- Body Wood? Some cheaper guitars are made of cheaper woods like Agathis. Common tone woods include Mahogany, Alder and Basswood.
- More expensive guitars will come with other fancy things like locking tuners and aftermarket pickups. Don't worry about this, it won't be found in your pric range and they can be upgraded later anyway.

A few guitars that might be suitable for you:
- Dean Vendetta XM
- Yamaha Pacifica 112
- Yamaha RGX and SE Guitars (Used Yamahas can be fairly cheap)
- Ibanez RG Series (If you can afford anything above the GIO line)

Personally, I would opt for a Dean Vendetta XM or a used Yamaha/Ibanez but you need to be a bit careful buying used guitars online.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/dean_guitars_vendetta_xm_gn.htm
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 17, 2013,
Thanks for the support! I would not buy a used guitar online. the list i provided are all guitars I would have the chance to try out and after that make my decision
Quote by Jayerrr
when searching for a guitar, I noticed there are ST, T, LP, SG ... models
http://www.thomann.de/gb/electric_guitars.html
differences? what should I pick up?

ST = Fender Stratocaster style guitars, T = Fender Telecaster style guitars, LP = Gibson Les Paul style guitars, SG = Gibson SG style guitars. It's about the body shape, nothing else. The most usual body style is Stratocaster but it's up to you which body style you like.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
^ Although some body shapes are more associated with certain styles of music. Obviously, you can use any body shape but lets just say a Fender Telecaster isn't ideal for a metal sound. Probably the most common choice for metal is a super-strat shape. Apparently this falls under ST.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Dr.shred 801
No 300 euro is 400.30$ USD.

Sure, but here in Italy a guitar that you pay 2000 dollars in america costs 2000 euros (if not more).

By the way, I think you shold get a good guitar first, and than a decent amp (even if I'd go for something like POD HD500 which you can buy for relatively low price, connect to a stereo and have a lot of versatility)...
For 300 euro you can find some nice used guitars, with a bit of luck, I'd watch for ibanez, schecter or esp (LTD), I heard good things about those (I have a schecter and I like it).
It's important you try them out, to make sure you are confortable with playing them...you should like the feel of the guitar before buying it.
Obiously it's just my opinion.

Good luck!
Last edited by Michele_R at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by Jayerrr
do these kind of guitars have different pickups / better for metal music?
thx
http://www.thomann.de/it/chitarre_heavy.html

I really wouldnt worry about pickups at the moment. As long as it has humbuckers and not single coils you are good to go for quite some time. Amp plays much bigger role in creating your metal tone anyway.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Jun 18, 2013,
Quote by Emperor's Child
^ Although some body shapes are more associated with certain styles of music. Obviously, you can use any body shape but lets just say a Fender Telecaster isn't ideal for a metal sound. Probably the most common choice for metal is a super-strat shape. Apparently this falls under ST.

When it comes to classic shapes I also should mention Les Paul. Has been used by quite a few metal musicians and the heavy body and short scale do sound really nice.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Jayerrr
thanks for the support! what about amps?

I already mentioned used Peavey Vypyr (a modeler) or Bandit (normal solid state mimicing tube) are safe and good choices for your first amp.

You can also get used Marshall Valvestate 8080 for mere peanuts, but they are old and may (and will at some point) have issues.

*edit* If you need something smaller and cheaper, I cant help you. Dont really know a thing about small lunchbox amps other than my Peavey Envoy, which isnt a bad amp (smaller version of bandit) except the speaker sucks big time.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Jayerrr
should I invest more % of my money into the amp or into the guitar?

Guitar first, amp second. No matter how good amp you have if the guitar is a flimsy piece of shit it will demotivate you from practicing. I speak this from experience, that Squire starter pack guitar can burn in hell.

If you really are on tight budget just get a good guitar, Vox Amplug Metal (a portable guitar amp size of a two matchboxes) and a pair of closed headphones to plug in it and start saving for good amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Jayerrr
should I invest more % of my money into the amp or into the guitar?

Do you already know the "basics" of guitar playing?
Holding the pick, playing chords etc?

Because if you don't, I think that's how you'll spend a lot of time at the beginning, you know, chord changes, alternate picking, doing 1234 on the diffrent strings and similar stuff; so I think you should go for a good guitar first, the amplifier is not reallly needed until you need distortion (in my opinion).
i know the basics you mentioned and something more as well. when i was 11 i played one year of acoustic guitar and sometimes is happens that I play at a friends house casually. The budget is not that tight, 300€/$ on guitar + amp is ok. if it is a bit more, it's not a big deal. But I'd really like to hear and feel the sound and heavy metal, because if you don't hear and do what you really enjoy, you won't do it as good or you won't do it at all. So it's not a problem to spend a bit more but getting a decent setup instead of spending 100€ on both and getting a crappy piece of shit.
*edit* double post

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Quote by Jayerrr
i know the basics you mentioned and something more as well. when i was 11 i played one year of acoustic guitar and sometimes is happens that I play at a friends house casually. The budget is not that tight, 300€/$ on guitar + amp is ok. if it is a bit more, it's not a big deal. But I'd really like to hear and feel the sound and heavy metal, because if you don't hear and do what you really enjoy, you won't do it as good or you won't do it at all. So it's not a problem to spend a bit more but getting a decent setup instead of spending 100€ on both and getting a crappy piece of shit.

Then definetly aim for Vypyr 30
http://www.thomann.de/it/peavey_vypyr_30.htm

Models quite well some of the more famous metal amps (6505, Mesa Rectifier) and has a proper 12" speaker. Smaller ones just do not work well for metal.

*edit* dunno why it made a double post when I tried to edit.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
If i buy a guitar, I should try it out first. What about the amp? can I buy it online or should I take a look in person as well? in the next few days, I'll go with my friend (he plays electric guitar very well) to a shop to try out some guitars. Maybe I can try it out there and if i like it, i can buy it online on thomann.
If we count out potential build quality issues and so forth, guitar is quite personal thing. What works for one person may not work for others. One guitar will be extension of one persons hands where on other person it just doesnt feel good. Thats why testing first is always preferable when buying guitar.

In case of amp and sounds people do have different tastes but its much safer to buy blind by reading reviews and opinions of people who have used them. For example Peavey 5150/6505 is famous metal amp and is used by a lot of bands for a reason. Unless you are looking for something specific its pretty much a safe bet for any metalhead. Similarly Vypyr has a reputation of being great bang for the buck and for metalhead it has great models to choose from and it also models them quite well. You may be looking for something specific later as your skills increase but it definetly gets the job done.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
thanks for the help! I'll probably bring a list with some guitars i liked and tried, so you guys can tell me something more about the pickup quality and durability and reputation of the guitar
Page 1 of 2