Poll: Which is the ART?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which is the ART?
A is the ART
0 0%
B is the ART
0 0%
Voters: 0.
I hear a lot of people complain about the ART preamps, though they're coming back into favor now with the MPA II. A long time ago, before I even got an interface I purchased an ART tube MP. It's been sitting on my shelf since the day I got my first interface but I decided to bring it out today and A/B it against the XMAX preamps on my firestudio. I used the input on the back of the firestudio for the ART, this bypasses the onboard pre and only uses the conversion of the firestudio.

So, which do you like better? Which is which?

The guitar is a Taylor 712 and the microphones are a matched pair of Oktava MK 012 01s as close to each other as you can get, pointed at the body/neck joint.

I also included an automated version which sweeps seamlessly between the two preamps and then combines them in a hard panned stereo, A on the left, B the right.

http://www.zachfichterstudios.com/media/shootout/ART%20vs%20XMAX%20A.wav

http://www.zachfichterstudios.com/media/shootout/ART%20vs%20XMAX%20B.wav

http://www.zachfichterstudios.com/media/shootout/ART%20vs%20XMAX%20automated.wav

EDIT: Fixed links
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Last edited by Artemis Entreri at Jun 15, 2013,
Shoot, I'm on my phone so I can't check the links well enough but www.zachfichterstudios.com/shootouts
If all else fails www.zachfichterstudios.com

I'll fix when I'm home

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Interesting. I had to do a lot of A/Bing to decide which one i preferred. The automated one (when you can see the differences) really helps.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Yeah, UG screwed your links (rather than just replacing the text with ... they replaced part of the url itself)
Ok, so which is which? I'm still preferring B to A. To me, the sound is a little bit fuller and more natural sounding.

Curious to hear which B is, since I have the same preamps in my StudioLive 16.4.2.
This isn't meant to sound arrogant or anything, but aren't those both entry-level pres, for the most part? Sort of like comparing a Mackie to a Behringer, or a Kia to a Hyundai? Do we expect one to sound much different from the other?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
This isn't meant to sound arrogant or anything, but aren't those both entry-level pres, for the most part? Sort of like comparing a Mackie to a Behringer, or a Kia to a Hyundai? Do we expect one to sound much different from the other?

CT

The ART is CHEAP as can possibly be. Probably the cheapest pre you can possibly get. The XMAX is standard on a lot of mid range equipment. A lot of people say the XMAXs are SO MUCH BETTER than the ART and stuff. Turns out the difference is minimal. Everyone is all about GEAR GEAR GEAR. This pre, that pre, this mic, that mic. I just want to show people it doesn't really matter that much.

I work in a recording studio which uses original telefunkens, nuemanns, APIs, neves, blah blah blah. High end gear all day long. I personally use budget gear.

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Thanks for the explanation. I'm really not that familiar with either of them. And just to make sure that that statement doesn't come off as snobby, I have 8 Behringer pres in my rack. (and 8 other better ones....)

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Not owning any of them, I can't really tell you what is what, but I like the B the best.
It sounds more compressed, without the annoying bass peaks.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
The art tubes have quite a following as a very decent cheap tube pre.

Never heard of the XMAS myself. I preferred B.

Can you put the which is which in a spoiler?
RIP Gooze

cats