I've had my 2008 Gibson SG Vintage Studio since..2008 It's been my main axe and more recently, I've really been drawn into progressive metal of the rest few years, which combines hardcore/metalcore/what-have-you and these bands play in low tunings like drop C and even, yes, drop B. I can't be going back and forth with tunings on the Gibson, so what's a solid guitar in the $5-800 range that would be suitable for my tastes?

I'm talking about bands such as Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, I Killed the Prom Queen, Veil of Maya, Parkway Drive, etc. Whatever genre, they sometimes shred, but other times are pure breakdowns. What's a company/brand to look into for this stuff? Are Jacksons any good?
You are going to get so much hate for calling those bands "progressive metal."
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
7 strings guitars are very common in deathcore and prog metal, you might want to check Ibanez for more versatility (I personally recommend the ARZ307) or Schecter for a pure metal sound (I would recommend the Hellraiser 7 strings).
Ayy there
Get a 7-string
Ibanez if you like ridiculously thin necks.
Schecter if you like ridiculously thick necks.
Agile if you like medium thick necks.
All i play is prog rock, prog metal and melodic death metal. When i was playing stuff like Dream Theater, In Flames, and Wintersun i would always play my Ibanez RGD 7 string. But i recently blew 7 months of savings on a Ernie Ball John Petrucci 7 string and its easily the best guitar i have ever played with. If you have the money it will be the last guitar you'll ever need to buy.
Quote by SkyValley
You are going to get so much hate for calling those bands "progressive metal."

This, and because of it I recommend the cheapest guitar you can get your hands on.
There are a ton of options out there, but any awesome metal amp is probably going to be fairly expensive. Right now, I'm playing a Marshall JVM 410H. It's a great middle-of-the-road amp, kinda combining the best aspects of a lot of amps. The distortion of the the orange OD2 section sounds really good. I have also found that the orange clean is very good with pedals.
I called these bands "progressive metal/hardcore", which people choose to negate. I need a guitar to be able to play both genres, or whatever hybrid of metal you want to call them. Let's look at the facts that you can classify most of those genres as any composite of those words, metalcore, hardcore, prog metalcore, etc etc.

I'm not going to get into a debate about a misnomer when I just want some input on guitars; I'm not looking to insult anyone's taste in music.
Any guitar with humbuckers will do those bands, depends infinitely more on what amp you're using.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I have a Line 6 Spider Valve 212, the tubes in that thing just scream for metal on my Gibson, so I know the amp is suitable for my purposes. It's just a guitar with a good feel. Are there any guitars with the Gibson SG shape and neck profile in this criteria? The double cutaway just makes playing high up on the neck a breeze, especially compared to the "lunky" Les Paul
Get a used Gibson SG, they start at $350-$400 and go up from there. If you can spend a little more, look into a used PRS CE24/22 they can be found for $900+ normally.

If your in the USA look at www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Something like an ESP/LTD Viper would suit you then: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-deluxe-viper-1000-electric-guitar

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Jacques-Henri
Get a 7-string
Ibanez if you like ridiculously thin necks.
Schecter if you like ridiculously thick necks.
Agile if you like medium thick necks.

You have no idea what a ridiculously thick neck is, do you? Go play a guitar from the 50s.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
You have no idea what a ridiculously thick neck is, do you? Go play a guitar from the 50s.

Exactly. Seriously, not all Schecters have crazy thick necks. I play one and I've played ESP's and other thingys that have way thickers necks than my Schecter.
Quote by lilke
Exactly. Seriously, not all Schecters have crazy thick necks. I play one and I've played ESP's and other thingys that have way thickers necks than my Schecter.

It's not even that; the average Schecter has a thick neck compared to something like an Ibanez or Jackson but in the grand scheme of things Schecter are definitely still at the thinner end of the neck scale.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by gack513

I'm talking about bands such as Human Abstract, Protest the Hero, I Killed the Prom Queen, Veil of Maya, Parkway Drive, etc. Whatever genre, they sometimes shred, but other times are pure breakdowns. What's a company/brand to look into for this stuff? Are Jacksons any good?

Progressive/Metalcore? Dude, those terms aren't interchangeable like that.